Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dvv,

Have you ever tried a kidney pie?

Many times, but still not enough. Lived there and went to school 1967-1970.

Also tried sauerkraut & wurst all over Germany, from Koeln in the north down to Munich. And a lot of local favorites, like roast beef with local noodles and boiled potatoes in Bavaria. And I claim that the Germans are the true bakers of Europe, forget Danish pastry and French baguette, for ultimate quality bread, only Germany makes sense.

Also had organized for me a tour of sausiges from France, from Normandie down to Marseilles, all told about 15 types of rural sausages and cheese, courtesy of a good half French - half Dutch friend living in Brussels. Leon is a hell of a guy.

I go to Greece every summer for my vacations, so I know their cuisine very well indeed, all the more so since it is rather similar to my own Serbian cuisine, just not as imaginative.

Italian pasta I do very well myself, and I have many surviving witnesses, who come back for more.

And so forth. My favorite, probably because I can't get it locally, is American Cajun food and gambo. And, let's be honest about it, nobody beats the Americans for king size T bone steak.

The most intriguing dish I had lately was in Scotland in 2009. Their national dish, the haggis. It was very good, but what surprised me was the incredible similarity with a local Serbian dish - not the same, but very similar. In two places, two countries which had almost no historical contact.

Two things you should know about me. One, I weigh around 115 kilos (app. 250 lbs), and although I am taller than average at 189 cm (6'3"), it is quite obvious I value good food and am not shy about it. And two, beside liking to cook, I also have a formal qualification for a cook. I got it during my national service, in my day (1980-1981) compulsory, when for 9 months I had to feed 110-120 very hungry young men, with two dishes, soup, salad and often some form of cakes as well. Standard cooking is a craft anyone can learn, but great cooking is standard cooking with a little art added to it.

So, mein herr Kastor, trust me when I say it is a poor stereotype that the Brits eat poorly. For one thing, their cuisine is by its nature way more healthy than most, and NOBODY on this planet beats the Brits in some things - apple pie, jams, marmelades, and kidney pie being some of the British specialties one really must try. AND their cider is to die for.

P.S. It also not true that American beer is **** water; most maybe, but try Boston's John Adams beer and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. Also, the best chocolate mousse I ever ate was not in France, or even Europe, it was in a small restaurant in Philadelphia, where some friends from Philly took us to for a great dinner.

Last edited:
Steak and kidney pie takes time to appreciate. I am one of the few Englishmen who eats it now. Always reduced price at the supermarket. First time I eat a meal in France when on my motorcycle is was just kidneys. Not my favorite memory. Hare was even worse.

Kidney needs to be soaked in salt water overnight for the best results. If should be sliced very small and in the ratio of 1 to 3 with the meat.

Liver and bacon is my favourite and I cook it very well even if I say so. It must not be overcooked. I like all sorts even ox. Ox tail also is wonderful. That is more French than English. We get a surplus as in Muslim meat preparation they can not eat it. The sell it to us gentiles.

If the English eat Umbles ( name for this meat, Umble pie , To eat Humble pie ) the French devour it.

US beer is nothing special. The US micro brewery beer is wonderful.

The Scots according to a Jewish gentlemen are one of the lost tribes. The Celts. Thus the food might be similar. He claimed they were not Jews but lived with the Jews before they all left Persia. His reasoning being word similarities. He did his degree in the subject. A linguist at the BBC in the Hungarian dept said it made sense.

I went to Slovakia near the Ukraine border. The food truly lovely. A sort of German- Italian mix with potato dumplings. The beer also very good ( superb ). Brown beer is much like the US small brewery beers. The ladies in the hotel were so impressed I liked the food they spoiled me. My boss was convinced the bill would be very high. Not one penny extra. I never refused anything and loved every mouthful . The countryside much like Wales.

Haggis is excellent.

In that case, Nigel, be warned: if you ever do a gourmet tour of Serbia, you will probably have a problem leaving.

While Serbs are proud of their specialties on the grill, in fact what surprises most people is the sheer diversity of the local cusine. I couldn't name another place I've been to, except Taiwan, with such a wide choice of whatever is edible.

And we do excell in soups and broths, I must say. This is what gets me every summer, the Greeks sometimes appear not have even heard of soup.

Many times, but still not enough. Lived there and went to school 1967-1970.

Also tried sauerkraut & wurst all over Germany, from Koeln in the north down to Munich. And a lot of local favorites, like roast beef with local noodles and boiled potatoes in Bavaria. And I claim that the Germans are the true bakers of Europe, forget Danish pastry and French baguette, for ultimate quality bread, only Germany makes sense.

Also had organized for me a tour of sausiges from France, from Normandie down to Marseilles, all told about 15 types of rural sausages and cheese, courtesy of a good half French - half Dutch friend living in Brussels. Leon is a hell of a guy.

I go to Greece every summer for my vacations, so I know their cuisine very well indeed, all the more so since it is rather similar to my own Serbian cuisine, just not as imaginative.

Italian pasta I do very well myself, and I have many surviving witnesses, who come back for more.

And so forth. My favorite, probably because I can't get it locally, is American Cajun food and gambo. And, let's be honest about it, nobody beats the Americans for king size T bone steak.

The most intriguing dish I had lately was in Scotland in 2009. Their national dish, the haggis. It was very good, but what surprised me was the incredible similarity with a local Serbian dish - not the same, but very similar. In two places, two countries which had almost no historical contact.

Two things you should know about me. One, I weigh around 115 kilos (app. 250 lbs), and although I am taller than average at 189 cm (6'3"), it is quite obvious I value good food and am not shy about it. And two, beside liking to cook, I also have a formal qualification for a cook. I got it during my national service, in my day (1980-1981) compulsory, when for 9 months I had to feed 110-120 very hungry young men, with two dishes, soup, salad and often some form of cakes as well. Standard cooking is a craft anyone can learn, but great cooking is standard cooking with a little art added to it.

So, mein herr Kastor, trust me when I say it is a poor stereotype that the Brits eat poorly. For one thing, their cuisine is by its nature way more healthy than most, and NOBODY on this planet beats the Brits in some things - apple pie, jams, marmelades, and kidney pie being some of the British specialties one really must try. AND their cider is to die for.

P.S. It also not true that American beer is **** water; most maybe, but try Boston's John Adams beer and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. Also, the best chocolate mousse I ever ate was not in France, or even Europe, it was in a small restaurant in Philadelphia, where some friends from Philly took us to for a great dinner.
fun fact the Sam Adams beer made by the Boston brewing company is brewed in Cincinnati Ohio . Hagus need some nutmeg for my taste. Thought the steel cut oats where great. I am in fact about your size also 116 kilos and 180cm :warped:

Huuuhh? When younger I used to visit a Greek family regularly, and a regular staple was this, Dinner Tonight: Avgolemono (Greek Lemon and Rice Soup) | Serious Eats : Recipes. Very distinctive, and moreish ...

That was then, but the tourist trade catering estabilishments might as well as never heard of soup.

Frank, these days, much of what they serve is frozen half ready made stuff. True, once you go to big cities, like Thessaloniki (pop. app 4 million), you have your choice of better places, with some serious cooking.

Not as if it's any different elsewhere, mind you.

fun fact the Sam Adams beer made by the Boston brewing company is brewed in Cincinnati Ohio . Hagus need some nutmeg for my taste. Thought the steel cut oats where great. I am in fact about your size also 116 kilos and 180cm :warped:

Kid me not! The pride of Boston is brewed in Cincinnati?

But why should I be surprised? For all I know, traditional cowboy boots are probably made in Asia these days. As early as 1967, the small souveniers of the Eiffel Tower in Paris were made in Japan.

Not that it really matters much. So long as the product, be it beer or boots, is as good as advertised.

thanks Jan!

For those of you interested in 'Capacitor Sound' or lack thereof, I have posted Cyril Bateman's landmark article series on my personal website.

Thanks to Cyril and the Editor at Electronics World for making this possible!

Enjoy!

Jan

thank you Jan for making this information more widely available.

I see you changed your avatar, liked your old avatar, wasn't it the 741? did something happen to change your opinion of this device?

You know Jan, what is so ironic is that I can't build phono based products fast enough. I have 2 out there now, but I may have 3 others in future. People love them!
I do hope that digital will ultimately replace it, but not so far, at least for my group of listeners. Of course, I don't expect their popularity to last forever, but neither will I, so it should work out OK. '-)

Status
Not open for further replies.