Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2012, 04:59 PM   #691
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Musicians here on the forum understand well that they would sound in different rooms differently. Like, in one hall they sound nice, in another like a cat's cry. Why should we expect the same real sound in different rooms? And is equipment guilty if in bathroom the orchestra sounds like an orchestra in bathroom?
You have hit the nail on the head..."Good" sound is dependant on the ability of the equipment to make the sound regardless of room..

The only thing is how do you judge "good" sound, its based upon what the listener hears...If it sounds like an orchestra in a bathroom its good sound....however if when it moves from room to room it dosen't sound like an orchestra what then?

This only leaves measurement...its either electricaly good ar bad...Your ear can transfer sound with electrical signals....Is what I hear the same as what you hear with the same sound?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 9th January 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 9th January 2012, 05:03 PM   #692
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I assume, if listeners never heard a real orchestra in bathroom, how they would tell if the sound in their bathrooms is real or not?
Old 9th January 2012, 05:06 PM   #693
diyAudio Member

At the end of the line,

If the system does not move the speaker correctly to produce the "correct" sound you can forget all the measurements..

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 9th January 2012, 05:08 PM   #694
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I assume, if listeners never heard a real orchestra in bathroom, how they would tell if the sound in their bathrooms is real or not?
I agree..

Then its down to emotion.. how good does it sound to the listener...Fairground ride
Old 9th January 2012, 05:11 PM   #695
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I do not know, myself, how to 'isolate' a rectifier bridge from the power supply caps, effectively. And even if a common mode choke would help, it would not completely be successful. It is very easy just to use the 'right' rectifier, and eliminate the problem at its source.

...especially when construction by your schematic was designed by another guy who believes that the wire drawn on schematic diagram is the same wire in all it's points.

I remember professor Vintizenko in our institute, he designed layout software called KARL running on mainframe computer. It required myriads of parameters to be entered in order to calculate optimal layout. I always thought it was crazy, since intuition based on experience plus several iterations of prototyping and measurements allows to make things much faster and cheaper.

...but may be it is me who is crazy; I still regard SPICE in electronics design as funny toy.

Last edited by Wavebourn; 9th January 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 9th January 2012, 05:13 PM   #696
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
A 10 cycle pulse of 4kHz, starting from zero, has a lot of transient high frequency components - not just 4kHz.
I don't understand why it would. As far as I can tell, it does not. 10 cycles is short and hard to analyze, but I made a 4KHz burst 12 cycles long - zero to zero crossing - and it appears pure, no other tones.

What am I missing?
Old 9th January 2012, 05:16 PM   #697
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I don't understand why it would. As far as I can tell, it does not. 10 cycles is short and hard to analyze, but I made a 4KHz burst 12 cycles long - zero to zero crossing - and it appears pure, no other tones.

What am I missing?
You are missing the word starting

Pure tone may be strictly pure only and only when it started infinite time ago and did not change since then.
Old 9th January 2012, 05:35 PM   #698
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Since an amplifier can create distortions that no room could, we should be trying to eliminate (or find a metric to measure) those specifically. Maybe those that are left once that set is solved or determined, are benign and don't matter as much. It is in that sense the issues you raised have their value. For example, there are some who say flat frequency response is not so important compared to other forms of distortion; perhaps the typical room problem, which introduces alterations in flat response yet is not necessarily bothersome, is illustrative of why; it's a normal, natural issue we tolerate well.
I guess if you are looking at the amplifier, then you have to look at the amplifier and speaker combined...Amplifier damping or to much of it is a factor phase shift and speed of response..transient capability.. It goes on

It would be interesting to build an amp with "controls" for 2nd and 3rd harmonic and tweek in a listening test..I think alot of this is personal taste..

It would be interesting if you could remove both and find out nobody liked it..

Why can't I have a Krell the size of a shoe box?
Old 9th January 2012, 05:43 PM   #699
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg View Post
It would be interesting to build an amp with "controls" for 2nd and 3rd harmonic and tweek in a listening test..I think alot of this is personal taste..
Find my old thread about Harmonizer.

It is possible, but nobody in reality likes added harmonics, when such a knob presents. Try it and report. The only when it may be useful, to change timbre of soloist recorded in a damped studio booth. Such devices sometimes are added to channel strips.
Old 9th January 2012, 05:46 PM   #700
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg View Post
..................Why can't I have a Krell the size of a shoe box?
If you are a swimmer with size17 feet and prefer to wear 6" stiletto heeled ankle boots rather than low cut shoes, then no problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!