Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 697 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2012, 04:56 PM   #6961
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Beat you to it. I just bought another before logging back on. Besides it sounding great on the mains, it sounded better than the Hafler I had on the subs. (Actually a surprise, subs should be easier so any 'ol big amp would do.) I thought about waiting for a 2200, but I really don't need it. Money is better spent bringing the rest of my systems up to snuff.

Now I am contemplating if I should do a new crossover with op amps or try and do one with fets. Attack the next weakest link first. Op amps, I can just build it. Jfets is study time again. My current one is a pretty sad.
Old 6th August 2012, 10:29 PM   #6962
diyAudio Member

Filled a friend of mine's car with my entire set of recyclables. Several CD's ,several amps, tuners, test equipment. He is"Mr. E-bay", so with any luck at all, it'll pay for whatever I fall for next!
Old 10th August 2012, 09:51 AM   #6963
diyAudio Member

Has anyone built a moving coil baffle speaker in recent years ? Robin Marshall said to me that it was the lack of a box that made a Quad ESL work as well as it does . Another friend made a MC speaker with good phase response proving that to be possible , the Quad is very good on that . R M went on to say the moving mass of many small speakers would not be drastically different ( I guess KEF B110 or Fostex 5 inch ) . I was reminded the other day that some PA people used Tannoys without cabinets as Mid / top units . I have tried a Spendor BC1 bass-mid in free air and was very pleased with the results allowing for lack of bass .
Old 10th August 2012, 06:47 PM   #6964
diyAudio Member

Wound Maggies count?
Old 11th August 2012, 07:00 AM   #6965
diyAudio Member

Off on my holidays for the weekend ( the dogs birthday treat ) . Maggies very much . I wanted to buy the very cheap ones through a friend . Then add side baffles .
Old 17th August 2012, 07:17 PM   #6966
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

And I just got back from mine. As usual had a great time in Greece, although it was hotter than hell the first three days - up to 43 C (app. 109 F), but then it quieted down to the more normal 33-34 C (app. 91-93 F). So, pure class A the first three days, thereafter more reasonable class AB.

I dunno why, but the first three days I thought of Nigel a lot, him and his class A amps, feeling like one of his output transistors ... :-)))))))))) So Nige, if you were hiccuping a few days ago, that was me.

As the Greeks' notion of hot is far removed from mine, that bottle of Tabasco helped out a lot, poor as it may be and as I have been told here by those in the know. It laid its life juices down for me, bless its bottle, but thankfully, it has a LOT of brothers and sisters. Also, messers John Grisham and Stephen King selflessly helped out with their mental food creations.
Old 17th August 2012, 07:58 PM   #6967
diyAudio Member

Tabasco , best upgrade I know of . I sometimes make a non alcoholic Bloody Mary with it . A teaspoon to a small glass of tomato . Trust me you don't need alcohol if you live to tell the story .
Old 18th August 2012, 03:36 AM   #6968
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Throw a teaspoon of Oyster Sauce in as well and a little black pepper.

Actually, I don't like the flavor of Tabasco peppers. I prefer the flavor of Jalapeno or Habanero. Cayenne is nice but doesn't have much flavor.

Last edited by TheGimp; 18th August 2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 18th August 2012, 07:04 AM   #6969
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
Throw a teaspoon of Oyster Sauce in as well and a little black pepper.

Actually, I don't like the flavor of Tabasco peppers. I prefer the flavor of Jalapeno or Habanero. Cayenne is nice but doesn't have much flavor.
Fine, but as we've covered that topic here already, I'll just reiterate what we concluded - many of the alternaive products recommended here by US citizens is simply not available in most of Europe. Generally, Tabasco is available almost everywhere, and a little off and on, a Lousiana sauce (I forgot the name), plus a variety of Chinese and Thai offerings (some of which are really good, others so-so).

As a general rule, I like best the taste of unprocessed, fresh hot peppers. I have plenty at home, but in Greece, their idea of hot is a watered down version of mine. Tasty, but far removed from what I'd call hot.

I got hooked on Tabasco in the late 60ies while in the UK. Ever since those days of my misspent youth, it has been a part of my "survival kit" when traveling abroad, Tabasco and a small tin can of Nescafe, since I like my coffee strong, really strong, even on the go. But since coffee is a cult all over the Balkans (Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, FYRM, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Hertzegovina, Croatia and my native Serbia), I don't often need to use it. Remember, out here, we don't drink coffee like water as many do in the US, and of course, if they drank it as we strong as we do, people would be dropping like flies inside of three days, rather out here, coffee is a process, it's a time honoured custom to pause for a coffee break and damn the soul of anyone drinking his or her coffee in less than 30 minutes. Usually not more than twice a day.

And there's a part of my native Serbia where people would give a run for their money to anyone liking it hot, they have a local type and tradition of growing some darn hot peppers, which look innocent enough, so long as you don't bite them. If you do, make sure your fire extinguisher is nearby. Never fails to remind me of a graffitti I saw the first time I visited the US, in March 1970 -Kennedy airport was being renovated, and there was a writing on the wall which stated: New York air can't hurt you if you don't breathe it.
Old 18th August 2012, 07:41 AM   #6970
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Quote:

1: Audiophiles like to complain about compressed music, but they actually prefer it.
i'll agree w/abraxalito for the most part.

tho i could not imagine this w/out the compression (and reverb)

my favorite over-compressed bit of music

Hide this!Advertise here!