Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2012, 12:03 PM   #6921
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiros View Post
dvv, the best quality lossy encoding will be 320kbit/s, current - best quality- codec, 22050 maximum bandwidth, no "mid-side Joint Stereo", no "intensity JS" and no "narrrowing of stereo image".

the mp3 encoder licensed from fraunhoffer institut (they created mp3) allows these options. I have not much experience with LAME the past years because ever since i got hold of the original manufacturer encode, i think lame can only be worse. It still allows configuration though so YMMV.
Thank you, Tsiros.

I'll take a new and a much more detailed look at my Nero, because I already have it, and I seem to remember that it also allows many options regarding MP3, but I could be wrong.

In that, the above info will be most useful.
Old 27th July 2012, 07:53 PM   #6922
diyAudio Member

What is this, is everyone off for their summer vacation?

I know we continentals like to go to the seaside, where do you guys living at the seaside go to? The mountains?
Old 27th July 2012, 08:41 PM   #6923
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
On backyard, with notebook, to configure Puppet, Passenger, Foreman, Graphviz, and other useful packages... And reconfigure ports after replacement of a console server with failed flash drive (48 ports, almost all used, no backup of config files had been ever performed!)
Old 27th July 2012, 08:53 PM   #6924
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
On backyard, with notebook, to configure Puppet, Passenger, Foreman, Graphviz, and other useful packages... And reconfigure ports after replacement of a console server with failed flash drive (48 ports, almost all used, no backup of config files had been ever performed!)
What, to smell rotten fish and pollution? No, my backyard and workshop are my vacation. Four speaker projects going, one of them very well. Considering picking up a PA-5 to round out my office system. I keep seeing Linn amps go for pretty reasonable money, but I know noting about them.
Old 27th July 2012, 10:14 PM   #6925
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Shameless plug: Have you played with Accumulo?
Old 27th July 2012, 10:49 PM   #6926
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Shameless plug: Have you played with Accumulo?
No, I don't work for Google.
What do you use it for?

By the way, can you recommend some useful tool to keep track of infrastructure? Something like network scanner + host database, with output in .dot format. It would be nice to have graphs of vlans, subnets, hosts, virtual boxes, packages installed there, etc... All hosts have facter installed by default, so it may be used as well...
Old 28th July 2012, 12:34 PM   #6927
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
It's hard to choose at the seaside in the summer.

The regular beaches are way to crowded during the warm and sunny period, only good for walking the dog after hours, or eating & lounging after ~6pm.
So it's either nudy perv beach, On the water, or at the pool in the backyard.

Leaving for Berlin in a day, couple of weeks later to the Dutch Antilles for Carlos Santana, Ruben Blades, and Paquito d'Rivera.
A month later again, other island, for Chaka Khan and Oscar d'Léon.
Caribbean Sea Jazz Festival, October 5 + 6, 2012, Cas di Cultura plaza, Aruba
Home - Curaçao North Sea Jazz Festival

(last time i enjoyed myself in the mountains was talking to a Korean guy for an hour, waiting for a Swiss tunnel)
Old 30th July 2012, 06:49 AM   #6928
diyAudio Member

No Swiss tunnels for me on the way to Greece. In conjunction with bookings.com and our (my wife's and my own) knowledge of the area, our summer vacation is all booked and done in late March or early April.

Last year, we found this great hotel, very decent for a fair price, its main claim to fame being its truly incredible microclimate - you can't be without a lovely sea breeze for longer than 60 seconds. Given that we both have poor sinuses, as do most city dwellers, this is a blessing.

10 days net (plus 2 days for getting there and coming back) is ideal for us. We just sit in the car, turn the air con on, switch the music on, and we're on our way.
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:53 AM   #6929
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
What is this, is everyone off for their summer vacation?

I know we continentals like to go to the seaside, where do you guys living at the seaside go to? The mountains?
Hi DVV . I was just up the road from you in Kolocep .

Nice to be back . Compression is wonderful . The old ways were better .

I would say a beautifully conceived compression system which was completely good to use uncoded would be great . It could them be uncoded by sensing volume used if required . Perhaps by small microphone in the room ?

I was advocating a new analogue recording system of at least 100 dB dynamic range . it would be so perfect so as to allow easier digital mastering if required in existing formats . This compression system could be part of it .

So perfect would mean that the distortion and hiss would be as the best op amps and 24 bit . Like convectional analogue some chance to get it wrong and still have a usable recording . Or corrupt it for effect . I imagine a DBX type system would be used . However much better . One could have digital and analogue together somehow . The digital side recording compression rates with extreme accuracy perhaps ?
Old 2nd August 2012, 07:17 PM   #6930
diyAudio Member

Hiya Nige!

Hope you had a good vacation!

I've been struggling with MP3 and WMA file formats, but, with help from friends on this forum, I did get it right in the end. Admittedly, the programs I have are far from being intuitive and demand maximum attention - one slip and you're down the drain.

Anyway, it's all done now, I put 325 songs, about 13-14 hours' worth, on an USB 4 GB memory stick, with lots of space left. I am ultimately limited by the car's electronics, which can handle 999 songs, but hey, that's way more than enough. A much greater problem is fidning the time to transfer the music.

Actually, I am perplexed and angry at GM/Chevrolet. They built in a radio/CD unit, hooked it up into the car system and the infotainment screen, the built in 6 speaker system and whatnot, but the system will play WAVE format only off the actual, physical CDs you stik in - but not from a USB memory stick. Why, I have no idea, but it seems rather silly to me, a job not finished.

Obviously, I would have MUCH preferred to have been able to use a full 16-bit format. But then, I am a complete novice in the world of non-Red Book formats, and still have much to learn. No time now, but after the vacation.

Hide this!Advertise here!