Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 689 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2012, 01:42 PM   #6881
diyAudio Member

I suppose what is done with video is no help ? When SD is upped to HD ? It works very well on my PVR to the extent I have lost interest in HD . Not saying no difference , just less than I would have thought likely . Switching the TV on the SD soon makes me want HD or upped SD ( Panasonic ) . As I said previously video is better understood . contrast , clear borders , colour saturation , black levels . There are even special tricks plasma's need to fool the eye ( ghost images ) . I suspect we don't know these rules so well in audio ?

Red Giant - Products - Magic Bullet Instant HD 1.2
Old 24th July 2012, 02:34 PM   #6882
tsiros is offline tsiros  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tsiros Send a message via Skype™ to tsiros
if you can't see the difference between an SD upscaled to HD and the same material in HD, then something is not as it was supposed to be. I don't know what... the decoder, the monitor, the file itself... I have watched 1080p and it is quite better than 720p. 480p/360p is not even worthwhile. it's like watching a crappy watercolour painted version.
Old 24th July 2012, 02:41 PM   #6883
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes the difference is night and day .........
Old 24th July 2012, 05:01 PM   #6884
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiros View Post
what kind of observation would you make and what kind of measurement would you take?

because i i don't think that you can tell between uncompressed and 320 Kbps mp3
You're kidding, right?
Old 24th July 2012, 05:14 PM   #6885
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Here is the link that I received today in e-mail:

Recording: In The Studio: The Top 10 Reasons Why Music Is Compressed - Pro Sound Web

The guy advocates compression.
Old 24th July 2012, 05:20 PM   #6886
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Then we must mean different things by 'optimal'. Fair enough.

Well a true optimisation would take account of these people's happiness too, unlike your compromise solution.

More evidence that our meanings of 'optimal' differ - mine is not subject to opinion like yours.

Why is that 'unfortunate' ? Do GM's senior management see it the same way?

Which sounds as though you are now agreeing with me
I agree or disagree with you depending on what you understand as optimal. To me, optimal means that the product satisfies the primary goal that has been set for it.

It seems to me you are looking at it far too much from the engineering side, whereas I am looking at it from its ultimate goal as a product, which is to sell and produce profits.

Looking at it from the economic side, it is a success, because it sells, and in my opinion, it is economically optimal because it satisfies not only that on e basic goal, but does so without endangering its sister model, Opel/Vauxhall Astra, and it satisfies the other goal of GM, which is to make Chevrolet its world-wide brand, and to do that, it must assert the Chevrolet brand in Europe. As you may or may not know, Chevrolet has no strong foothold anywhere outside the US, where it is said to be the single most popular brand around (so I've read).

Since it shares its platform with the said Opel Astra/Vauxhall, it can be made cheaper than if it were made all on its own, along the way also helping the Astra to be cheaper, as the same parts are made in greater numbers.

So, from GM's point of view, it satisfies a whole list of requirements, and does so well, which leads me to believe that they did hit the optimal point.

From my poin t of view, it's clerly the optimal solution simply because it has no serious competitor when one looks at the equipment and facilities offered in that price range, as others cost more to much more for the level of features offered, because it is backed by a comprehensive network of dealers, because I happen to know the owner of the dealership I bought it from, and because its warranty is 5 years, whereas other famous brand names, such as BMW and Mercedes-Benz give a 2 year warranty, the VW group (VW, Audi, Seat, Škoda) and Renault give a 4 year warranty, etc. In fact, only two manufacturers, Kia and Hunday, offer a 7 year warranty, but their products are in my view technically inferior and ultimtely more expensive, even if only by a bit.

It is only in PURELY technical terms that it is not the optimal solution, but that said, if the technology used was better, its price would also be higher, and depending on how higher, it may balance the gain in technology with the loss in price advantage, or not, who knows.

But I cannot disassociate its technological basis from its price, because it is ultimately a product made to be sold, not technology for its own sake. It had a whole set of objectives, not just one - to sell, and in my view, it has managed to satisfy a number of conflicting criteria rather admirably. We don't see that too often.
Old 24th July 2012, 05:23 PM   #6887
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiros View Post
if you can't see the difference between an SD upscaled to HD and the same material in HD, then something is not as it was supposed to be. I don't know what... the decoder, the monitor, the file itself... I have watched 1080p and it is quite better than 720p. 480p/360p is not even worthwhile. it's like watching a crappy watercolour painted version.
I think I said I could see the difference ! However I am impressed anything is possible which closes the gap . I worked in professional video so take an interest . Much HD is not worth the label . The best HD I saw recently was the Eurovison song contest . How typical . Recently horse racing was more detailed in HD and better saturation in SD . Obviously a choice of the program director . Neither program was a choice , just looking out of interest .

I watched Vertigo in HD . Now that was excellent .The colour gets a bit wild at times . The detail excellent and saturation near perfect . North by Northwest soon I hope ? 3 D is a bit like quadraphonic , don't need it I feel .

I want to see Bilko in HD . Memory has it as very HD black and white .
Old 24th July 2012, 05:25 PM   #6888
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Here is the link that I received today in e-mail:

Recording: In The Studio: The Top 10 Reasons Why Music Is Compressed - Pro Sound Web

The guy advocates compression.
Frankly Wave, his list is full of it. He may be a veteran, but he's doing audio no favores. Let's hope he retires soon.
Old 24th July 2012, 05:29 PM   #6889
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Optimal means satisfies set of criteria. Example: what is optimal for stationary speaker is suboptimal for portable speaker. So for portable speaker light material would be preferable, for stationary speakers heavy material would be preferable. Here is a picture of my subwoofer attached. It is of course suboptimal for a boombox, but why would I prefer portable boxes in my living room when concrete horn under the floor works better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub.jpg (181.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 24th July 2012, 05:29 PM   #6890
diyAudio Member

DVV . I will be drinking with the same types tonight and they still say the same . How to design compressors is always our number one conversation . Friends are friends . Off on my holidays now . DVV you can say all the wild things in my place .

We sort of look at valves now . That was taboo .

Nige

Hide this!Advertise here!