Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 672 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2012, 11:44 AM   #6711
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Nige, I've said it before, and I say it again - Quad 405 was a half-baked idea, which was not able to drive anything below 7 Ohms without a serious loss of power.

Peter Walker got it wrong somewhere, I'm not saying the basic idea as such is a bad one, probably not so, but in practice, that Quad was a dud.

I've heard it many times and each and every time it ran into anything but the gentlest of speakers, it was in trouble. Raymond Cooke (KEF) was right - no self-respecting mainstram amp should object to 4 Ohm loads, unles they are particularly evil.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:20 AM   #6712
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Kef could not sell the cube, yet Bose sold tons of 901's. Marketing? The box did look cheap. I remember the dealer talking suspiciously about the quality of the eq. I don't remember how they sounded. This was the era of the external gee-wiz boxes, DBX, PhaseLinear, graphic equalizers. Maybe that carried some negative baggage as the "true audiophile" wanted purity in design. Don't Theil and Wilson come with equalizers?

Time to go see if I can start sanding the primer on my speaker boxes.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:46 AM   #6713
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

901's were not hi-fi, but they rocked , Kef's were never good hi-fi IMO, nor did they rock...

Last edited by a.wayne; 15th July 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 15th July 2012, 08:58 AM   #6714
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Well, there were KEFs and KEFs. Oddly enough, I think their largest DIY kit, a 3 way design using their oval B139 (?) bass drivers, when done properly was about the best we ever had from KEF for an acceptable price.

Two of my nieghbors in the building made them and both sounded rather good, even excellent for the price.
Old 15th July 2012, 10:36 AM   #6715
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Nige, I've said it before, and I say it again - Quad 405 was a half-baked idea, which was not able to drive anything below 7 Ohms without a serious loss of power.

Peter Walker got it wrong somewhere, I'm not saying the basic idea as such is a bad one, probably not so, but in practice, that Quad was a dud.

I've heard it many times and each and every time it ran into anything but the gentlest of speakers, it was in trouble. Raymond Cooke (KEF) was right - no self-respecting mainstram amp should object to 4 Ohm loads, unles they are particularly evil.

I sort of agree . They were so very cheap and if used as I have pointed out they were safe into 2 ohms on real music up to clipping . It was the ability to do that that was the problem . Safe and boring . If paralell bridged and Mk 2 they were serious 4 ohm drivers . Mk 1 was not good . I upgrade tons of them . 5 minutes job if taking it easy .

The KEF kit 3 was excellent . Linn Isobakic used 2 kit 3's . I would like to get a pair of Isobariks with the later Hicophon ( spelling ) tweeter and do my own crossover . There were some abused ones for £350 , I was tempted . The cabinets are a work of art . I suspect they lost money on them . My stupid 1500 watt amp project could have some fun with them . The best I ever heard them or a Krell was together with DNM preamp . Nothing like you can imagine . It would be like Rolls Royce winning Le Mans ( yes I know Audi have and are related ) .
Old 15th July 2012, 02:24 PM   #6716
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
It would be like Rolls Royce winning Le Mans
1928 Blower Bentley.
Old 15th July 2012, 03:51 PM   #6717
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
1928 Blower Bentley.
Close .
Old 16th July 2012, 10:24 AM   #6718
diyAudio Member

Not really close at all.
Back then Bentley was entirely different from RR and is again since VW bought Bentley.
In between RR owned Bentley and they won nothing nor even competed in anything.

The main thing wrong with QUAD 405 amps is the severe current limiting applied to them so they stay stable when running ESLs with their brutal impedance curve.
Once that is done away with and the PSU replaced with something more substantial they are actually quite good amps, just look at their 520.
Old 16th July 2012, 10:38 AM   #6719
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
The 4-in-line Blower Bentley was used till 1932, RR acquired Bentley end of 1931.
Technically gave them bragging rights.

It's called a jokey.
Old 16th July 2012, 10:47 AM   #6720
diyAudio Member

Or as Ettore Bugatti put it at around that time:"Bentley, the worlds fastest truck!"

Hide this!Advertise here!