Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 670 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2012, 05:27 PM   #6691
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Hi-fi and guitar amps are two completely different applications of electronics which just happen to use superficially similar circuits and speakers. Very difficult to combine them, and rather pointless. Simplest and maybe cheapest method would be to have two completely separate amps in the same box, with a changeover switch. I don't know how you would make a combined speaker as you could not even do the 2-in-1 trick, as they need quite different boxes.
Old 12th July 2012, 05:40 PM   #6692
tsiros is offline tsiros  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tsiros Send a message via Skype™ to tsiros
there is one way i can think of... it's crazy but... here goes: a hifi amp that is enclosed in a hifi capable speaker cab with hifi speaker drivers. so it works as a combo for music reproduction. It also has an effects processor which models guitar amplifier/cab combinations.

but that is quite different from what you suggested earlier

What you suggested might work, for the amplifier part only (because the speaker part is unworkable)... if the stereo amplifier for hifi usage could be rewired (by switch) to be two gain stages in series to achieve the high gain needed for overdriven guitar sound. Something like that.
Old 12th July 2012, 08:05 PM   #6693
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

While the idea may be intriguing, I think it's anything but practical.

I for one would never buy anything like that quite simply because I do not have a guitar, nor can I play one. And I think well over 90% of those buying audio gear play no instrument, whicle those who do play instruments also have their own sets of legitimate requirements.

It's like combining a road going car with a submarine. It has been done, it has been practically proved possible, but as far as I know, practically nobody bought into the idea. A Swiss company called Rinspeed specializes in such potpurris.
Old 12th July 2012, 08:18 PM   #6694
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Levinson,

When Levinson moved on to doing his Cello line his designer was Tom Colangelo, Tom died a few years ago , anyone here familiar with Tom's work ..? Thought's ..?
Old 13th July 2012, 12:05 AM   #6695
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Mr Colangelo worked as the honcho designer at ML for about 8 years, before he and Marky Mark went Cello.

(you might enjoy this one : 799 F2d 814 Madrigal Audio Laboratories Inc v. Cello Ltd | OpenJurist Aah, those were the days, it's all so colorless and boring nowadays )

Perhaps you should ask Mr Curl.
Old 13th July 2012, 12:29 AM   #6696
Sin Bin

I'm sure John will respond ....

What about Tom's designs or Cello stuff on a hold ( funny i never came into contact with anything Cello before ) Didn't Tom go on to design his own line under a different name ..

Last edited by a.wayne; 13th July 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 13th July 2012, 12:38 AM   #6697
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Viola audio labs

(with Paul Jayson, who also went from ML, to Cello, to Viola )
Old 13th July 2012, 12:42 AM   #6698
Sin Bin

Yes ..... dats it ..
Old 13th July 2012, 12:46 AM   #6699
diyAudio Member

Tom Colangelo took over in 1976, while I was in Switzerland. I made the mistake of INSISTING that Mark get an engineer to work on the problems, while I was in
Switzerland, because the phone calls got too expensive.
He originally brought in another engineer George Mayhew, initially supervised Tom C. However, over time, my royalties were cut, and credit was not given to me as to the designs, including the JC-2 and the JC-3. Typical office backstabbing. Later, George was let go and Tom became Mark's right hand man. Tom's first independent design was the ML-3, class AB power amp.
Old 13th July 2012, 01:47 AM   #6700
Sin Bin

John,

Did you ever communicate with Tom on a professional level or did the levinson deal kill everything ... ?

Hide this!Advertise here!