Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
At +200$/lb average, one can expect that thing to carry a tag upwards of $60k.
For that kind of cash, I would expect and demand both a professional brochure and a shoe shine.

If the money is spent on 6-packs and WC tickets instead, they can keep the product. Amateurs.

Careful the principle of Vitus has a backround in competitive karate. :) I do wonder why it is so hard to find a translator that is fully fluent.

Here Scotty, A-phile big block .......... :)

Attachments

• block1.jpg
    block1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 158
Here Scotty, A-phile big block .......... :)

Amps with work boxes to pull #10/3 directly in would make a lot more sense. Who cares about legal or practical, I have not heard of this one yet.

Sorry, a guy back in the 70's here tried directly rectifing 220 as a supply for a high power amp, adding safety to the list of no-no's.

Last edited:
This device does direct from the mains amplification . Underneath it is an up to 253 VAC fed power amp with output transformer to restore output to 230 VAC . The amplifier is all N FET's . It would easily work for audio and would be of much better performance than the re-generator . They now have a smaller version without the fan ( Mosaic Genesis ) . I dare say that would give 1000 Watts music .

IsoTek Genesis takes power generation to the max | whathifi.com

This device does direct from the mains amplification . Underneath it is an up to 253 VAC fed power amp with output transformer to restore output to 230 VAC . The amplifier is all N FET's . It would easily work for audio and would be of much better performance than the re-generator . They now have a smaller version without the fan ( Mosaic Genesis ) . I dare say that would give 1000 Watts music .

Cost? £12,995.

Somebody's trippin', or just plain FOS.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Scott, just of curiosity, what amp you are using at home?

Amps are still a project in process, just using some T-amps for now. Sorry to dissapoint but I'll probably end up with some SMPS's in isolated boxes feeding fairly prosaic MOSFET 100W amps, but I plan on extreme experimentation with grounding and supply issues in the signal path using all the ideas the good folks here share.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004

If it is for re-generating 50Hz mains why would it need good 20-20k performance?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
but I plan on extreme experimentation with grounding and supply issues in the signal path using all the ideas the good folks here share.

:cool::)

Might also want to take a look at each A-V equipment and what each puts out onto the ac line.

The Source of the Problem: I have found and shown here before.... just about everything electronic plugged into the ac line puts out a spectrum of noise freqs onto the ac power lines.

And very little from outside the homes comes in on the ac lines. It is mostly from within the home.

-RNMarsh
[stumbling around in S.E.Asia]
Did you know the Chinese government gets pretty excited when you fly into the middle of their country (XIAN) without a visa etc and not in a group etc....? And just start wandering around? I got a private tour via the chief of police's daughter. Now there's a story for a new movie!

Last edited:
I have been playing with open baffle speakers and very pleased with the results . Was asked to do some music for a 90 year old lady and offered to take them along to the village hall , how very authentic when playing 78's . This was strongly discouraged .

I have a pair of Scan Dyna ( Dynaco ) A25's . They sound so enclosed and cupped , a speaker of their time and not of now . Yet sometimes they are magical . So for the princely sum of $10 I added a pair of generic Motorola piezo tweeter clones ( Maplin UK code WF55 ) . I made an L-pad attenuator ( - 4dB ) and set the resistance total at 15R9 . I used 1uF 100 V polyester as a crossover . After bedding in I have to say as a pair of lab speakers I am rather pleased . The total cost of them about $50 . They need coffee cup stains removed to be perfect ( Danish oil ) . I was always told these piezo are very good if used as Super tweeters . The capacitance is about 110 nF if wondering . That means my 15R9 is about what the amplifier sees . The tweeters sit on the cabinet tops . If not required I turn them face down . Quickly the point is proved and they get reinstated . They don't honk as they aren't trying to do mid band . When I measured them they happily did 1 kHz which will be highly distorted .

My son was watching a rather rude Canadian comedy soap via the 25's . The F word used mostly as a subjunctive . A broken window sounding startlingly real . I will be happy to do that party now .Benny Goodman is the one I most will enjoy playing . 78's need treble more than people imagine. Putting a brick-wall filter on them often makes them sound even more enclosed . Dynaco's start to die at 10 kHz .

If I had some AR3's I suspect this would be an even better up grade . I dare say even to Quads ESL if crossed at 15 kHz .

BTW . One bass unit was locked solid when I got them home . I helped it by hand . It recovered . The people selling them were so genuine I thought it might for once be rust . Seems it was . As you might guess I had A25's in 1976 to 78 . I was offered silly money for them so sold them . I always missed them .

Yes, the best aspect is that the Dyna A25s have quite natural bass with the right amp. The resistive port works really well to set the LF damping. I'm using a pair with an HK430 dual supply receiver, and the tonal quality of the bass is quite good. I had two pairs of these in college years ago. At that time, I bought them when they were discontinued for $35 per pair. Hard to believe. The highs do roll off an octave too early, though.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Why would you not get a visa? They are easy enough to pick up. In the old days folks on business forgot about the limited re-entry visas on side trips to Hong Kong for the weekend.

Well, I went to the Thai government to get info on how to see the tericotta solders in Xian and they stone-walled me... no ttickets to XIAN. So, I just took off to the north and landed in a small town called Chang Mai. When I got off the small plane, there was a huge bill board - all in English (?) - proclaiming we could go to XIAN and see the Terracotta solders from this airport. Got a ticket there and took off again. All rather spontaneous and without much thought. No room reservations etc and no one speaks English in China when outside the usual tourist areas. BUT --- the Chief of police daughter turns out she is a great guide and we saw some archilogical ruins that she said no westerner had ever seen before.

-RNMarsh

:cool::)

Might also want to take a look at each A-V equipment and what each puts out onto the ac line.

The Source of the Problem: I have found and shown here before.... just about everything electronic plugged into the ac line puts out a spectrum of noise freqs onto the ac power lines.

And very little from outside the homes comes in on the ac lines. It is mostly from within the home.

-RNMarsh
[stumbling around in S.E.Asia]
Did you know the Chinese government gets pretty excited when you fly into the middle of their country (XIAN) without a visa etc and not in a group etc....? And just start wandering around? I got a private tour via the chief of police's daughter. Now there's a story for a new movie!

What! Still in asia , i hope you not filming hangover 5 , please tell me you took a lot of pics ....... :)

Last edited:
Yes, the best aspect is that the Dyna A25s have quite natural bass with the right amp. The resistive port works really well to set the LF damping. I'm using a pair with an HK430 dual supply receiver, and the tonal quality of the bass is quite good. I had two pairs of these in college years ago. At that time, I bought them when they were discontinued for $35 per pair. Hard to believe. The highs do roll off an octave too early, though.

I think I might build some modern crossovers for the Dynaco's . They will be active as that is easier . I will try hard to leave the bass as is ( unfiltered ) . I remember Derek Hughes ( Spendor ) telling me how hard it was to get the popular Audax tweeter to work . My ears tell me the Dynaco tweeter needs the same . I am rather pleased with the cheap super tweeter , - 4dB seems about right . I have it in anti-phase with the tweeter . It is not critical as it is mostly to give a very small amount of energy above 10 kHz . I have it flush with the speaker front .

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
What! Still in asia , i hope you not filming hangover 5 , please tell me you took a lot of pics ....... :)

Looks like I am going to be here awhile.... tomorrow I attempt to extend my Thai visa to 90 days. Wish me luck. Last year I just dropped into Laos in the northern tribal region. Accidently ended up at the dictator's house for dinner.... That was Real interesting. Didnt know who I was talking to until after I left. No infrastructure there.... no help either. No doctors, no hospital etc. No 911. Need help? Its a two hour boat ride up the Mekong river to a military base... the only doctor is there. Scary but a lot of absolutely fantastic stories about the people's life up there. Stuff you never see or hear about on Nat Geo.
Bought some paintings from a monk there from his house.... its on my office wall now. What will this trip unfold for me?

-Richard
Got lots of pictures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.