Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 602 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2012, 08:28 AM   #6011
diyAudio Member

MTB is from Spartanburg, South Carolina. Charlie Daniels is from North Carolina. Capricorn Records (MTB's label during their heyday) was based in Macon, Georgia. Charlie Daniels is a longtime resident of Lebanon, Tennessee, just east of Nashville.
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:55 AM   #6012
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
Sin Bin

@John Curl

I read you loud and clear, John. It seems you and I are not just on the same page, but also on the same paragraph.

I realize and admit to being very sentimental about the 1960-1980 period, and sentiment implies emotion, and emotion is not reasonable. But life makes no sense and has no point without it.

It was grand time period, when things were happening all over the planet. We naively believed we could really change things, not realizing that it was the bog money which ran things, not governments.

We got to do many things first at that time, didn't we? AND before they invented the [beep!] [beep!] [beep!] [beep!] pantyhoses.

As for the picture with the sound, no doubt that is a step forward, but to be honest, I don't really need it, I'm Old School, music is quite enough for me.

As a matter of fact, I must add that the music of the day also managed to satisfy my intellectual habits as well. I have much respect for quality lyrics, and that means I not only listen to the words, but also think of them. They can make me do that. Paul Simon's "The Boxer" remains one of my all time favorites, some Dylan songs and, of course, Leonard Cohen, ever since he appeared as the author of Robert Altman's "McCabes and Mrs. Millers" in 1971 or 1972 (Warren Beatty and Julie Christie). "Closing Time" being both my AND my wife's favorite.

My very great fortune in life is the fact that my good wife is also a music lover. However, she is mostly into classical music, whereas I am not, if you discount the one and only Waldo de los Rios, an Argentinian living and working in Spain, who came to prominence in the mid-70ies with his awesome arrangements of classical pieces. It took me 10 years to pick up his CD. Anyway, wife has her own system (H/K 680 integrated, Sony CD/DVD player, JBL Ti600 floorstanders, van den Hul wiring), and her own CD collection, 95% classical, some fado, rest miscellanous. This fact does actually increase her understanding and tolerance levels way up, she has never once questioned my Amazon.com purchases of CDs, ever, or any of my audio gear purchases - so long as I let her system alone.

Well, I did say once that if she made me angry enough, I'd open up the H/K and spit at all of its rectifiers.

Last edited by dvv; 3rd June 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:57 AM   #6013
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
MTB is from Spartanburg, South Carolina. Charlie Daniels is from North Carolina. Capricorn Records (MTB's label during their heyday) was based in Macon, Georgia. Charlie Daniels is a longtime resident of Lebanon, Tennessee, just east of Nashville.
Gentlemen, I stand corrected.

Still a great band, though.
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:59 AM   #6014
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
No, I like big productions that last 1 hr or more, with first class sound, or maybe B+ sound. I don't think much of YouTube, etc, except for knowledge of a group or singer.
A true Old School response!

I also use YouTube and MP3 to assess whatever, but if I like it, I do buy the original. Thank God Amazon.com has the "hear before you buy" feature.
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:02 PM   #6015
popilin is offline popilin  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Perhaps Steven King would be more appropriate?
Good idea, the dog only six months old, but he is a nightmare!
Old 3rd June 2012, 04:58 PM   #6016
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Sounds like a Lab, wipe the cheesies from your fingers!
Our first jack would listen to music with the same attention as we, and watch tv. She liked action movies. This was the same dog who would set up another dog and play a joke on it, watching it happen. None of our recent dogs have been quite that clever. They are more play, eat, pet.
Old 3rd June 2012, 05:12 PM   #6017
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
@John Curl

I read you loud and clear, John. It seems you and I are not just on the same page, but also on the same paragraph.

I realize and admit to being very sentimental about the 1960-1980 period, and sentiment implies emotion, and emotion is not reasonable. But life makes no sense and has no point without it.

It was grand time period, when things were happening all over the planet. We naively believed we could really change things, not realizing that it was the bog money which ran things, not governments.

We got to do many things first at that time, didn't we? AND before they invented the [beep!] [beep!] [beep!] [beep!] pantyhoses.

As for the picture with the sound, no doubt that is a step forward, but to be honest, I don't really need it, I'm Old School, music is quite enough for me.

As a matter of fact, I must add that the music of the day also managed to satisfy my intellectual habits as well. I have much respect for quality lyrics, and that means I not only listen to the words, but also think of them. They can make me do that. Paul Simon's "The Boxer" remains one of my all time favorites, some Dylan songs and, of course, Leonard Cohen, ever since he appeared as the author of Robert Altman's "McCabes and Mrs. Millers" in 1971 or 1972 (Warren Beatty and Julie Christie). "Closing Time" being both my AND my wife's favorite.

My very great fortune in life is the fact that my good wife is also a music lover. However, she is mostly into classical music, whereas I am not, if you discount the one and only Waldo de los Rios, an Argentinian living and working in Spain, who came to prominence in the mid-70ies with his awesome arrangements of classical pieces. It took me 10 years to pick up his CD. Anyway, wife has her own system (H/K 680 integrated, Sony CD/DVD player, JBL Ti600 floorstanders, van den Hul wiring), and her own CD collection, 95% classical, some fado, rest miscellanous. This fact does actually increase her understanding and tolerance levels way up, she has never once questioned my Amazon.com purchases of CDs, ever, or any of my audio gear purchases - so long as I let her system alone.

Well, I did say once that if she made me angry enough, I'd open up the H/K and spit at all of its rectifiers.
Ah yes. Folk music when we could actually hear the lyrics. I grew up on Folk and Broadway, schooled in the 70's Rock and found Jazz and Filk, now have migrated to about half classical. Guitar or really big Eastern European nasty violent music. Night on Bald Mountain kind of stuff. I guess I listen to about everything but Country and Rap. Just don't like Country and I can't appreciate Rap when I can't understand the lyrics. Granted, I could never understand Zapa, but I am not sure I want to. " Watch out where..."

Ever notice, the vast majority of good sit-coms had Jazz theme music.
Old 3rd June 2012, 05:43 PM   #6018
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Ah yes. Folk music when we could actually hear the lyrics. I grew up on Folk and Broadway, schooled in the 70's Rock and found Jazz and Filk, now have migrated to about half classical. Guitar or really big Eastern European nasty violent music. Night on Bald Mountain kind of stuff. I guess I listen to about everything but Country and Rap. Just don't like Country and I can't appreciate Rap when I can't understand the lyrics. Granted, I could never understand Zapa, but I am not sure I want to. " Watch out where..."

Ever notice, the vast majority of good sit-coms had Jazz theme music.
I try not to. I intensly dislike most jazz, although there are pieces here and there which I do like - play Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" anytime and watch me smile. Or Billy Cobham's "Quadrant".
Old 3rd June 2012, 05:58 PM   #6019
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Sounds like a Lab, wipe the cheesies from your fingers!
My flatcoat retriever did that until I explained her that it is wrong food.
Old 3rd June 2012, 06:33 PM   #6020
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I had a thought about the contrast between bland/mass-market and interesting/original in music versus hifi. In music, interesting, distinctive, and original usually costs less than mass market and bland.

Hide this!Advertise here!