Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2011, 12:43 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
The problem is, mechanical distortions are much less audible than electrical ones.
Old 24th December 2011, 12:58 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francec View Post
My wife likes "radio" sound, that is, music played at a reasonably low volume on a crappy full range speaker. From my experience, so do many other women, so (if I'm brave enough to actually say it), you can't rely on a woman's (musical) judgement at all.

There you are, carte blanche to do what YOU like.
I'll go one step more. You can't rely on anyones musical judgement. That would be like asking someone to taste something for you and tell you if it's good. You may not like fermented cabbage, they might. You have to taste it yourself.

revb.
Old 24th December 2011, 01:01 AM   #53
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Ska ..... !!!! Skatellites ? ..... have them too...

The wife and or the kids complain when i have the AV system up when watching movies ( where i'm comfortable) not so on the hi-fi system. I can play my big ribbons as loud as i like they never complain about it being too loud or noisy...

Last edited by a.wayne; 24th December 2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 24th December 2011, 01:12 AM   #54
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
I'll go one step more. You can't rely on anyones musical judgement. That would be like asking someone to taste something for you and tell you if it's good. You may not like fermented cabbage, they might. You have to taste it yourself.

revb.
Your system is your taste, agree, but when selling hi-fi i found every opinion counts, none hi-fi people actually give great input , they lack the usual hi-fi prejudice's
Old 24th December 2011, 01:14 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Ska ..... !!!! Skatellites ? ..... have them too...

The wife and or the kids complain when i have the AV system up when watching movies ( where i'm comfortable) not so on the hi-fi system. I can play my big ribbons as loud as i like they never complain about it being too loud or noisy...
Once when we were watching a movie actors entered a disco club, and my wife turned to me: "Too loud!", while according to indicators on the amp the level was almost the same.
Old 24th December 2011, 01:53 AM   #56
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
My wife says that I spoiled her tastes. She can't tolerate anymore stock Hi-Fis. She started hearing flaws...

Before that she used to play even boom-box.
hehe mine too! She Listened to my now "completed" MTM's the other night for the first time. The next day she went Christmas shopping and whilst out decided to listen to what previously (before I met her) was her favourite audio system (a Bose Lifestyle). I was really cringing to here what she said next, but was pleasantly surprised. She said the bose sounded absolutely crap! She then went and listened to the most expensive speakers they had in the store, and whilst they were much better than the bose she said they still weren't as good as mine I finally have the stamp of approval!!

She said now she has heard my system she couldn't go back. To that end, the source was just my PC outputting through the Audigy II ZS sound card, hardly high end. Now that I have the speakers sorted it is onto the preamp, a new dac and finally the amps.

Before I had decent speakers I was unable to hear any difference with things I thought should be extremely obvious (direct feed to amp vs though multiple cmos switches, bipolar caps and ne5534's for example). I haven't been able to do that comparison since finishing the speakers because that preamp is dead.

Tony.
Old 24th December 2011, 02:05 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
hehe mine too! She Listened to my now "completed" MTM's the other night for the first time. The next day she went Christmas shopping and whilst out decided to listen to what previously (before I met her) was her favourite audio system (a Bose Lifestyle). I was really cringing to here what she said next, but was pleasantly surprised. She said the bose sounded absolutely crap! She then went and listened to the most expensive speakers they had in the store, and whilst they were much better than the bose she said they still weren't as good as mine I finally have the stamp of approval!!

She said now she has heard my system she couldn't go back. To that end, the source was just my PC outputting through the Audigy II ZS sound card, hardly high end. Now that I have the speakers sorted it is onto the preamp, a new dac and finally the amps.

Before I had decent speakers I was unable to hear any difference with things I thought should be extremely obvious (direct feed to amp vs though multiple cmos switches, bipolar caps and ne5534's for example). I haven't been able to do that comparison since finishing the speakers because that preamp is dead.

You see now Tony how wrong are that poor theoreticians who insist that some people love distortions!
According to my experience as soon as people experienced SOUND CLOSER TO THE REALITY from speakers THAN THEY HEARD BEFORE they are SPOILED FOREVER.

By the way, speaking of Bose. After my wife heard Bose speakers in her new car she can't listen to any speakers in any car anymore! She did not like Bose sound system on their show in the mall, said that it sounds very artificial, but bBose system in the car is Ok! Because it was THE BEST sound SHE HEARD IN THE CAR.
Old 24th December 2011, 02:08 AM   #58
Sin Bin

Best factory automotive audio system ,,,, LEXUS /Mark Levinson ......
Old 24th December 2011, 02:12 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Best factory automotive audio system ,,,, LEXUS /Mark Levinson ......
It is good that she would not hear it. Because it works such a way, we always judge according to expectations: better than expected means good. Worse than expected means bad. She likes her new car, and I don't want to spoil her feelings.
Old 24th December 2011, 02:39 AM   #60
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
According to my experience as soon as people experienced SOUND CLOSER TO THE REALITY from speakers THAN THEY HEARD BEFORE they are SPOILED FOREVER.
That's what happened to me! listened to a 100K audio system that blew me away. The speakers were I suspect a combo of Infinity reference standard I subs (six 12 inch woofers per side) with IRS beta Electrostatic panels. I don't remember the rest of the system make up except that the two mono-blocks weighed in at 500K for the pair!

When I went home and listened to my system I almost cried. That was what started me on the quest to design my own speakers. I've not reached that level but the memory has faded enough now (it was close to 20 years ago) that I'm happy with what I've done

Quote:
By the way, speaking of Bose. After my wife heard Bose speakers in her new car she can't listen to any speakers in any car anymore! She did not like Bose sound system on their show in the mall, said that it sounds very artificial, but bBose system in the car is Ok! Because it was THE BEST sound SHE HEARD IN THE CAR.
Interesting isn't it I can quite happily listen to my crappy clock radio in the morning, despite the fact it has terrible sound. A lot is to do with the context!

Tony.

Hide this!Advertise here!