Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 561 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2012, 01:45 PM   #5601
diyAudio Member

Default Oxford Power Compnay

As I understand it the Edison verses Westinghouse / Tesla conflict gave us that system . I can find no evidence to support what I say next . It is said 110 - 0 - 110 was the adapted Edison 3 wire DC system . In my shop in George St Oxford we had a water leak . It was the Old DC power conduit . It was fitting I should suffer from that . It went from the canal in Oxford up into town a bit . As with all DC it was not a very efficient method of getting power distributed . Shame we didn't get bi phase .

The Power Station

I went to visit Sid Smith of Marantz fame in about 1999 . On the way to his house was the most pristine 1930's power station I ever have seen and least where I expected it . I have to hand it to them how they look after things there . I am fairly certain it was in use .

BTW . My qualifications such as they are would be in electrical power engineering with electronics endorsement . Hence a mild interest in this . In honesty I didn't want to do it . It was the only way at the college I went to . I got a credit overall with distinction in electronics and maths . I have done a lot of mechanical engineering which I found easier . I have no qualification for that except playing with motorbikes . I don't even have O-level metalwork because I didn't go to the lessons . I was running part of a degree level engineering project . I woke up one day and thought , I shouldn't be doing this . No one ever asked me if I was qualified . My students did very well .

Last edited by nigel pearson; 17th May 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 17th May 2012, 01:47 PM   #5602
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
There was still a good bit of bi-phase in Paris when I worked there. We had to have a bi-phase to triphase transformer installed in the theater for the new dimmer rack. The bi-phase actually came into the building as 4 110V legs.
IIRC, the bi-phase was done so that you had the possibility of 110V or 220V, whichever you needed. The last 110V sections of Paris were "phased out" in the late 1980s. They were on the Left Bank, right near the Seine.
I was living there in the mid 70's. Once we were trying to install a Fairchild test system into a Thompson "factory" near Porte D'Italie.. Some consternation trying to plug the 3 phase Hubble into their bi-phase panel!
Old 17th May 2012, 01:49 PM   #5603
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
" Frankly, no, Nige, I haven't, but then D. Self is not a topic I care to think about, as I disagree with him far too much.

Again, not my cuppa. .

Besides, what was the longest YOU ever had that you built along the guidelines of somebody's project, before you swapped it for your own design?

Come clean now, don't be shy. " Quote D V V

My freind accused me of copying other people designs . I said I do . However not truly as I usually reject how they do it . As Ross Walker of Quad said to me " There are only 3 ways to connect a transistor and one of them is wrong " . Let's not correct him about that . He said as long as people didn't say Current Dumping he didn't mind . As I said to my friend some ideas work best and only a fool does it differently .

The D Self design was not about the design just the idea . It seems inescapably sensible ?

As you say 4 transistors of mine is hardly a copy of Douglas Self . However my need to be honest has to say he inspired me to try it .

BTW D V V . Having a Cornish Pasty now . You must have tried them ? No offense if you don't like them . Italian coffee on special at the Co op . This day just gets better .
Nige, if I were to honestly write down the names of everyone who at some point inspired me to think differently than before he spoke, I would need weeks just to remember most of the names.

For a start, this forum thread, right here, makes me oblivious of D. Self's school of thought. I have picked up more here in a week than in all of D. Self's reading on his site and elsewhere.

Thorsten has, over the last 11 or 12 years, influenced my thinking more than D. Self ever could.

A few comments from John Curl here have spun me on entirely new orbits just like that.

YOU have made me stop and question what I thought was "common knowledge" on a number of occasions.

To be fair, all this assumes much personal communication, which I do not have in case of D. Self, which goes a long way in clearing up points.

So, who inspires me? Anybody with a clear thought he can elaborate on demand.

Who are we inspired by? The man who did it first. As far as I am aware, James Bongiorno produced the first fully complementary topology in the early 1970ies; strictly speaking, we ALL have been copying him since then, but in reality, many of us using that topology have been inspired by him. Some have changed things, improved things, tried different takes, and so forth, but isn't that the gist of all human knowledge?
Old 17th May 2012, 01:55 PM   #5604
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Cornish pastry ...

Of course I tried it, and yes, I liked it. No big deal, we have tons of pastry in the local cuisine, so I am quite used to it. I love some of it.

However, with my body weight, I have to watch it. VERY limited quantities. So I "save" myself for occasions when I know the author/cook is and know that there will be a lot of it to choose from.
Old 17th May 2012, 02:13 PM   #5605
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Nige, if I were to honestly write down the names of everyone who at some point inspired me to think differently than before he spoke, I would need weeks just to remember most of the names.
I will drink to that .

I forgot to include this .

http://flyingmoose.org/truthfic/tesla.htm

Last edited by nigel pearson; 17th May 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 17th May 2012, 02:40 PM   #5606
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffforrest View Post
Some consternation trying to plug the 3 phase Hubble into their bi-phase panel!
I'll bet it was! About 10 years later we were scratching our heads over the same problem. Trying to tie in a dimmer panel designed for 220V 3-phase to a 4-wire bi-phase service. It didn't work very well.

Fortunately the EDF (French power company) installed the transformer for us, free of charge. They were even king enough to put the watt meter after the transformer.
Old 17th May 2012, 02:47 PM   #5607
diyAudio Member

EDF want to build new Nuclear power stations for us . 10 free of charge and just get profits on any power sold ( they will get the money back in time ) . Alas no chance now . They were doing it to keep it alive and train engineers it is said . Despite all the problems I still beleive in it if done with correct levels of care . Asbestos is still the greatest danger in power stations regardless of type .

Hubble . I learned a new word today .

Last edited by nigel pearson; 17th May 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 17th May 2012, 05:37 PM   #5608
diyAudio Member

Nigel, a minor point. Jim Bongiorno was not first with complementary differential topology. Dan Meyer, of Southwest Technical products was the first to 'advertise' the circuit topology in 'The Audio Amateur', for example. However, both John Iverson and I had independently developed it in 1968, and we were both designing amps with the topology. John I. for Electro Research or the equivalent back in the late 60's, and me for Ampex and Alembic. We did NOT learn it from Jim B. Jim is a good designer, in any case.

Last edited by john curl; 17th May 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 17th May 2012, 05:43 PM   #5609
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think Dan may have published the circuit in Popular Electronics before his AA article. I know I had a Tiger in the late '60s. I think it had an MTBF measured in minutes.
Old 17th May 2012, 05:57 PM   #5610
diyAudio Member

Early SWT products did not use the complementary differential topology. I think it came about 1972.

Hide this!Advertise here!