Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 552 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2012, 06:14 PM   #5511
diyAudio Member

Bike talk . Mostly pride of Britain talk . Seriously , the hi fi industry is in decline . We should always talk success and how to copy that .

Last edited by nigel pearson; 15th May 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 15th May 2012, 06:30 PM   #5512
dvv is online now dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
D V V you are right except the link below . It can be done . However I feel Japan showed John Bloor how .

Triumph Motorcycles

BTW Dual 4 point in my day not 3 .

Triumph website is a bit tragic if people will forgive .
Good to see Triumph.

Nige, my Dual CS604 does have a 3 point spring suspension, and I hope you do trust me to be able to count to 3.
Old 15th May 2012, 06:35 PM   #5513
diyAudio Member

I did say in my day and forgive me and I am sure you are right . I stopped looking at Dual by then . Recently I have become involved again as someone said if offered the right contract they would be happy to produce . I have no idea if that is true . Like to think it is . The source was very reliable and family friend of those people . D V V it's you who should do it . Money ...,. I know . Why not the direct drives and nice plinth . I bet they still have the tooling .
Old 15th May 2012, 07:02 PM   #5514
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I don't doubt that the Linn was a good turntable. The problem is that as in the 1960's nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM (whether that was the right answer in each case or not), so in the 1970's every UK mag seemed to tell its readers that they could solve all their problems by buying an LP12. Those with different tastes or smaller wallets were left feeling out in the cold. Ivor's eccentricity seemed to add some mystique; he could tell a good story and the journalists were hooked.
John's not doing too bad himself, love it , now where's the Milo ....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
With all due respect, John, the first and foremost reason why Linn is so successful is that the entire British press stood and stands behind it.

I do NOT dispute the fact that it is a good product, with some serious thinking built into it, and that it was and is way better than most out there, some costing more than it does.

But from British mags, you just have to conclude that there are a few so-so products out there and that there's Linn. All in a class of its own, and this is simply not true.

BF96 and Nigel are right, it has been blown out of all reasonable proportion. It has come to the point that no-one in Britain DARES disagree on Linn and Naim. You just have to take their word for it that there is no better for the money.
That may or may not be true, But the LP12 was a serious table, then and Now, Over hyped , maybe , One of the best .. absolutely !!!
Anyway , some software , No affiliation, like the process and music ...

http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/index.htm

Old 15th May 2012, 07:08 PM   #5515
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
Bike talk . Mostly pride of Britain talk . Seriously , the hi fi industry is in decline . We should always talk success and how to copy that .
British Hi-Fi...

Mostly for the speakers, Celestion, Leak, Goodmans, Vitavox,Quads, Fane, Is what i recall using mostly from the UK, amplifiers, Nah, never owned one, Jap and American amplifiers only, there was a Tanberg once , opps , wrong country..

Old 15th May 2012, 07:21 PM   #5516
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Did a bit of measuring on the tube amp last night. Looks like a good bit of ringing even on a purely resistive load. However, even a good DAC output has some ringing on a square wave, so sorting that from the amp ringing is the trick. Maybe use a function generator, instead of a DAC output.

I'm a bit suspicious of my test rig, so will continue to poke at it.
Pano,

Amp ringing should be at a different higher frequency than any ringing you see caused by the input.

Hope this helps
-Antonio
Old 15th May 2012, 07:47 PM   #5517
dvv is online now dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
British Hi-Fi...

Mostly for the speakers, Celestion, Leak, Goodmans, Vitavox,Quads, Fane, Is what i recall using mostly from the UK, amplifiers, Nah, never owned one, Jap and American amplifiers only, there was a Tanberg once , opps , wrong country..

... and B&W, Spendor, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, ATC, Tannoy, etc in the speaker arena, where the Brits were a strong force. In my view, remembering a few models like B&W DM6, or Spendor BC3, rightly so.

Who do you want me to kill for a Spendor BC3 in good condition?

In electronics, I am not so hot on them, I find most British amps sound lazy and disinterested and uninteresting. As ever, there are exceptions - Boothroyd Stuart Meridian, Bob Stuart's Lecson design days, and Armstrong (now gone, most unfortunately).

But as ever, this is a very personal list, just my own taste. Like you, Wayne, I also preferred American made amplification and loudspeakers, Japanese here and there, and in loudspeakers nowhere with the notable exception of Yamaha's 1000 monitor (but then, I never listened much to Jap speakers, so I could have missed a few goodies).
Old 15th May 2012, 08:00 PM   #5518
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post

Who do you want me to kill for a Spendor BC3 in good condition?
Almost NOS Stirling LS3/5a V2 LE speakers -BBC subst for Rogers Spendor versions | eBay
Old 15th May 2012, 08:01 PM   #5519
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoman View Post
Pano,

Amp ringing should be at a different higher frequency than any ringing you see caused by the input.

Hope this helps
-Antonio
Another thing you might want to try: put some additional resistance in series with the speaker loads (say a few ohms) and note the effect if any on sound quality. So often what we hear and in many cases misattribute to specific factors is a change in frequency response (see dvv's remarks earlier about the highish output impedance shifting the crossover response, for example).

I recall a very old article in TAS by Bascom King about a big Jadis tube power amp. It was one of the rare cases where some technical specifics, even some of Bascom's measurements, were included in the review. He saw some oscillatory instability, iirc at high levels, even remarked something like "horrors!" --- but overall he liked the amplifier very much, and was more-or-less at a loss to explain why, based on the technical details.
Old 15th May 2012, 08:15 PM   #5520
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
British Hi-Fi...

A.Wayne: Many folks, myself included, consider the word "Jap" to be an insulting expression. Why not think twice before you use that term.

Hide this!Advertise here!