Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 514 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2012, 10:55 AM   #5131
diyAudio Member

Default What Studios Still Use

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This is a very posh version of what many studios still use . BC 560 and 741 in a very simpler arrangement typical .

If going to a studio and see this we add the 10 K resistor to try to rescue it .

Is that 10 K any use now ?

Thanks to ESP for circuit .
Old 5th May 2012, 03:43 PM   #5132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post

This is a very posh version of what many studios still use . BC 560 and 741 in a very simpler arrangement typical .

If going to a studio and see this we add the 10 K resistor to try to rescue it .

What's R14 for? Nothing like having 1000uF in series with the input signal, I gather the pros don't care.
Old 5th May 2012, 03:55 PM   #5133
diyAudio Member

R14 is there so that when the pot wiper lifts you don't blow stuff up, like the entire speaker stack! ESP is a repository of pretty much so average circuit design. There is not enough gain in front of the TL0 series for serious use either. (IMO)

Last edited by simon7000; 5th May 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 5th May 2012, 04:51 PM   #5134
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

R14 does not protect against wiper lift, but track open circuit (presumably at the end contacts). Wiper lift is protected by the track itself, provided the PCB designer does not omit the 'redundant' connection to the LH end of the track.
Old 5th May 2012, 05:35 PM   #5135
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, R14 would be trying to set some minimum gain, and I suppose might be selected to trim end-to-end resistance in the pot, which of course can have a huge spread. Also I don't see where open circuits in the potentiometer would blow much of anything up. Although they could make a bit of a racket as they became intermittent.
Old 5th May 2012, 05:40 PM   #5136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
R14 does not protect against wiper lift, but track open circuit (presumably at the end contacts). Wiper lift is protected by the track itself, provided the PCB designer does not omit the 'redundant' connection to the LH end of the track.
The schematic shows both ends connected. I have seen it implemented the wrong way. That is how the resistor probably made it's way into the design. Also due to the careful handling low end band gear often gets R14 will help when the pot gets torn off the board!

I have a hand held wireless microphone transmitter on my bench. The surface mount power switch has been pushed apart and off the PC card. Apparently if you push the switch to turn it on and it doesn't come on, rather than check the battery, just push the switch harder!
Old 5th May 2012, 05:43 PM   #5137
diyAudio Member

Of course it also could be C1 was originally in series with the pot to keep DC noise out while trimming and R14 was the DC path.
Old 5th May 2012, 05:51 PM   #5138
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm doing a battery test on a low-power product and periodically turn on the microammeter to see how the current looks, and turn it off again after settling and observation to conserve the meter battery. I'm already worried that I'm going to wear the power switch out on the Fluke meter! At least it is not surface-mount, rather a nice old-fashioned slide switch.

Of course I could contrive an a.c. adapter and leave the meter on.
Old 5th May 2012, 06:15 PM   #5139
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post

Nige, I would strongly suggest yout try one of these.

That's what I mean when I say "current boosting" the op amps. Pictures 01 and 02 are in fact the same thing, your choice between standard diode or a trannie. FYI, Revox for example uses the circuit in 02 as a matter of routine.

Obviously, 03 is when you need a BIG current boost. Add another pair of power trannies, recalculate the values, and you have a straight power amplifier.

Since +/- 15V rails won't get you very far (out to 7 or 8 Watts into 8 Ohms), you may want to consider using something like BB 2604 op ap, which can be run off +/- 24V rails no problemo, good for about 22 or 23 Wpc into 8 Ohms. And the 2604 has a FETtie input - one of the rare few op amps I honestly think can sound really good.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Op amp boost 01.pdf (19.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Op amp boost 02.pdf (19.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Op amp boost 03.pdf (21.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 5th May 2012, 06:28 PM   #5140
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000
I have a hand held wireless microphone transmitter on my bench. The surface mount power switch has been pushed apart and off the PC card.
Yes, I have seen that on a Sennheiser radio mike. The switch was a tiny SMD one only held in place by solder. Solder is not designed to provide much mechanical strength. I was surprised, as I expected better mechanical design from Germany.

Hide this!Advertise here!