Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 506 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2012, 02:11 PM   #5051
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Wow, Nigel, where is THAT paper?
At a guess, probably by Bob Carver, related to his ill fated magnetic amp.

I understand he actually sold a licence for it Yamaha, who then applied it in theri current series at the time, but for some reason Bob was very unhappy with it, legal minds clashed, and the deal broke down.
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:23 PM   #5052
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson
Yes, looks interesting. I have not studied it in detail, but I suspect that reality will not be as simple as his simulations. Magnetic components have a habit of being non-linear - at least, more non-linear than resistors. And narrow-band.
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:24 PM   #5053
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
Neah, it is just "cool".
People sometimes will act different just to differentiate from the "crowd" that they live in. Some crave to show-off opposition to mainstream trends as their indentity, to state "I am special" (therefore better noticed from the rest of the group).
Any tool is good for that: tatoos, piercings, overpriced Apple products, LP collections, tubes amplifiers, NOS made with DAC's that are not in production anymore...

Ah, some here are goood at that kind of arguments. Will twist everything to their use... For example engineers for them are sometimes geinuses (when desing a DAC that is not in production anymore) or just deaf idiots (when specify the use of OS filters or OpAmps in final stage).
Well, to me, engineers, PhDs and so on are simply people, like everyone else. They stand or fall on heir own merits, just like everybody else.

Coming from a family chock full of PhDs, and about evenly divided into teachers and professors and bankers, I have had an outstanding opportunity to closely observe both Aside from outward appearances, the only difference I could claim to be true is that the banking half, plus my dad (he was the odd man out, a mechanical engineer), tended to be more practical when it came to the execution of a plan. But that's about it, the other differences I would attribute more to the underlaying basic profession than anything else. My uncle and aunt had PhDs in sociology and philosophy respectively, so it was to be expected that they would a bit slow on execution, but long and sometimes tedious in planning.

I think just about any family anywhere has a specific composition, nothing wrong or unusual about it.
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:24 PM   #5054
diyAudio Member

Default Magnets

Hi D V V

Magnets always come in to my stories . I was near a 23 Tesla one once ( world record )
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:29 PM   #5055
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
Any tool is good for that: tattoos, piercings, LP collections, NOS made with DAC's that are not in production anymore.
Ah, that'll be me.
May i add an excessive scar memorabilia collection, a large number of kitchen utensils, and an substantial audio book & paper storage to the list.

In the immortal words of Jack Lucas ;
i'll be sending you a thought today as i lie in my stretch limo, having sex with the teenager of my choice. And that thought will be : thank god i'm me !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MVwH...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
the man is obssessed.
Aren't we all.

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 3rd May 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:41 PM   #5056
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirK View Post
Designing audio is much more tricky and less grounded by "theory" than designing instrumentation and control equipment.
You can't be serious, did you ever look at the service manual for a 7000 series TEK scope?
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:32 PM   #5057
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

at 1st glance Malcom's DCDF paper ignores Bode's gain/phase integral constriants - their application to "debugging" non-physical claims for various "clever" feedback arrangements have been know since the late '50's

I've mentioned these control theory results, pointed to refs a few time now

Bob Cordell Interview: Error Correction

Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:33 PM   #5058
diyAudio Member

Default Magnetic amps

D V V brought up magnetic amps .

I wanted to get one made for a project at work . The usually obliging transformer manufacturer ran a mile . Anyone ever heard one ?

http://www.aes.org/aeshc/pdf/how.the...ndamentals.pdf
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:53 PM   #5059
diyAudio Member

Scott, do you have a 7000 series manual? I might need to borrow it, sometime.
Old 3rd May 2012, 06:06 PM   #5060
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If he doesn't, I do (that's the scope I use).

Hide this!Advertise here!