Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 49 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2012, 10:49 PM   #481
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I see we now have a special audiophile feedback theory - "not intended to be factual"

I'm also glad of wavebourn's diagram - it leaves Thorsten without any wiggle room when he identiifes
Quote:
Yellow is degeneration...
I find Boyk and Sussman's feedback math at odds with Thorsten's claim:
Quote:
...Degeneration lacks the distortion multiplication effect of looped feedback (e.g. shown by Baxandall, Olson et al). According to extant research (Boyk at all) degeneration does in fact lower harmonic distortion for nearly all distortion products (dependent somewhat on circit and device) by the approximately the amount of the degeneration applied, something which looped feedback cannot accomplish.
as can be read from their paper
Attached Images
File Type: png boyk.PNG (100.2 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by jcx; 1st January 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 1st January 2012, 10:50 PM   #482
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Yes, I understand, however, such feedback would not be degeneration, but looped feedback, if it is derived like looped feedback.
If the looped feedback is series derived, what does the output impedance look like? I just want to make sure before we go further that common engineering terms are commonly understood.
Old 1st January 2012, 11:18 PM   #483
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
No. 3 needs a source impedance for completeness.
Source and load inmpedances are always in equations. Are we kids, Scott? That diagram was drawn to show kids major basics: feedback by current or by voltage, applied in parallel or in series with input.

Last edited by Wavebourn; 1st January 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:25 AM   #484
diyAudio Member

That is a good part of the 'secret' of my success with the phono preamp.
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:38 AM   #485
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
However, as you persist on making the, repeatedly debunked claim again and again I believe the burden of proof is upon you. So please provide such proof, or with respect, save me the time of having to debunk your claim again.
This does rather seem to me to be totally ****-about-face. In the absence of any claims, feedback is feedback, by observation alone. Your claim that its not in the case of degeneration is special pleading.
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:47 PM   #486
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I can't. No convenient drawing software for Linux.
Downloads | Get The Latest Version of EAGLE | CadSoft EAGLE |

Free for personal use.

Open source:
Main Page - KiCad EDA Suite Official Wiki

Just to name two.
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:16 PM   #487
diyAudio Member

@Thorsten - that emittor resistor is called since the beginning of the solid-state era feedback resistor. Curent feedback.
The input voltage on the base-emitter is reduced by the negative amount produced via voltage drop on the resistor by the amplified current. It the control theory, any deduction from the input signal (reference) of the output signal, in order to create the error signal, is called fedback. Call it "negative" if you want to point that at the sumation point will be with negative sign/phase compared with the input.
Control theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you are tempted to call "feedback" only the voltage feedback.

No "denegeration" takes place inside those devices, their parameters remain the same.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 2nd January 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 2nd January 2012, 06:26 PM   #488
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk7 View Post
Thanks, but I meant convenient.
Old 2nd January 2012, 06:46 PM   #489
diyAudio Member

Sonic, you make a good point, but please try to understand what we audio designers are talking about. We have found that LOCAL feedback can sound, and 'maybe' sometimes measure better than GLOBAL LOOP feedback. We are familiar with feedback, and I certainly have been for the last 50 years, when I took my first course in electronics. We have 'been there' and 'tried that'. Only it did not work as well as we predicted it would. That is WHY we have reverted to LOCAL feedback, in many cases, and minimized loop feedback.
The primary difference is that LOCAL feedback is high bandwidth, equal at least, over the entire audio band and perhaps much more. Loop feedback is run on a slope of 6dB/octave, at least somewhere if not everywhere in the audio band. Think it through, and you might see what we have found.
Old 2nd January 2012, 06:55 PM   #490
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

gk7
thanks for the link. I was unaware of this.

Hide this!Advertise here!