Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 487 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2012, 04:22 PM   #4861
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
I completely missed his passing away. I am truly sorry he's no longer with us, but 92 is a VERY ripe old age.

I would have liked to have met him in person.
I had only a few close encounters with Sidney, but one, when I was still in the doghouse for a blunder, I would cheerfully part with a kidney to have a good videotape of. But I recall it vividly. It worked out well --- I fed him straight lines and he and his top sidekick Bernie Girod riffed off of them to the delight of our meeting's audience. People told me that, following the meeting, he was in the best mood they had ever seen him in, and it lasted for the rest of the day.
Old 28th April 2012, 04:30 PM   #4862
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Ahhh, bulletproof loudspeakers, how convenient.
Funny you mention it. Quite a few years back in a Totenham Court Road HiFi Shop (when TCR still had HiFi Shops - which dates the episode) I observed a Sales Man giving a young couple the 3rd degree sales talk on a speaker using a Kevlar Cone.

He did pull the "bullet proof speaker" stunt and jabbed the bass driver several times with his biro to prove the point. The young couple where duly impressed. I had to exercise some of my best self control not to ROTFLMAO...

Ciao T
Old 28th April 2012, 04:48 PM   #4863
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Lordy knows how many folks walk the streets in DIY Kevlar vests, with driver cone filling.
Old 28th April 2012, 04:56 PM   #4864

Hi,

Quote:
Lordy knows how many folks walk the streets in DIY Kevlar vests, with driver cone filling.
That is why I prefer the addition of ceramic coated metal together with some kevlar, but I'd prefer something that would stop a .57 at 500m...

Ciao T
Old 28th April 2012, 04:57 PM   #4865
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

That is why I prefer the addition of ceramic coated metal together with some kevlar, but I'd prefer something that would stop a .57 at 500m...

Ciao T
Where I aim, it won't do you any good.
Old 28th April 2012, 05:22 PM   #4866
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Reminds me of when Rich May was commenting obliquely on my protruding belly, which he described as underdamped.
Old 28th April 2012, 05:58 PM   #4867

Ed,

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Where I aim, it won't do you any good.
Wow, you must be quite horrorshow. Few snipers I know try for a headshot over body, especially at a distance. I'd prefer a bodyarmour defeating round and a body shot, but it takes all sorts and I'm really not very good.

Ciao T
Old 28th April 2012, 05:59 PM   #4868
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Reminds me of when Rich May was commenting obliquely on my protruding belly, which he described as underdamped.
We watch our weight. Actually, it is getting easier to see every year.

Amirid fiber I find curious for a cone. It has very high tensile strength, but very low rigidity. B&W has done quite well with it though. Glass has the odd ability to transfer vibration end to end through a composite, so that is probably why it has not been popular. Heavy too. Carbon has promise. Has anyone investigated boron fiber?
Old 28th April 2012, 06:42 PM   #4869
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I investigated thin layer of plasticine on fiberglass. Very nice, but flows...
Old 28th April 2012, 06:43 PM   #4870
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

Funny you mention it. Quite a few years back in a Totenham Court Road HiFi Shop (when TCR still had HiFi Shops - which dates the episode) I observed a Sales Man giving a young couple the 3rd degree sales talk on a speaker using a Kevlar Cone.

He did pull the "bullet proof speaker" stunt and jabbed the bass driver several times with his biro to prove the point. The young couple where duly impressed. I had to exercise some of my best self control not to ROTFLMAO...

Ciao T
And you let him live and multiply?

Tsk, tsk, stk ... even the Germans ain't what they used to be.

Audio hauptgruppenobersturmbahnfeuhrer Thorsten, I am shocked! I wonder if that same cone could withstand an attack by my Swiss army knife, which is forever in my pocket ...

Hide this!Advertise here!