Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 445 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2012, 05:18 PM   #4441
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I do routinely.
Glad to hear that. I mean it.

When I thought of it first, like 20+ years ago, I wasn't sure it was such a hot idea because even then, it seems changing of gear was what most people were in it for, and it seemed obvious to me that these would be strictly dedicated amps, made especially for a set pair of loudspeakers.

True, parameters could be subsequently changed for another, but I don't think many people would go for it, not in this consumer society.

So I am very pleased to discover just now that the idea was not a crazy one.
Old 18th April 2012, 05:18 PM   #4442
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Most interesting reading - thank you.

It does make one pause and think. Off hand, I'd say our technology is advancing much faster than our knolwedge about our own hearing.
Interesting comment. Which begs the question: do we need to know about our hearing to determine if two things sound different? If you want to measure two voltage sources to see if they are different, do you need to know the internal workings of the digital multimeter you use?

jan
Old 18th April 2012, 05:33 PM   #4443
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Interesting comment. Which begs the question: do we need to know about our hearing to determine if two things sound different? If you want to measure two voltage sources to see if they are different, do you need to know the internal workings of the digital multimeter you use?

jan
Perhaps not to determine whether two things sound different, more like correlating the difference with our hearing process.

You know, we all like being lied to, at least sometimes. We hear an audio device we like, and on occasion we are aware that what we are hearing is not the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, that the original sound has been altered somewhere along the way, but it can still sound good and satisyfing even if we know we are being lied to.

Example: In my wild and misspent youth, I used to bang on the drums. Never mind that I had given it up, the point is I know first hand EXACTLY how drums should sound. My Marantz 1152 DC integrated does the job of reproducing drums reasonably well, but not outstandingly so, it sort of paints them in more gentle colours than they should be.

My H/K 6550 integrated does a better job of recreating the sheer energy and impetus of drums, it gets the drive in exactly the right gear, and is overall better at it than the Marantz.

I love my H/K 6550, but I also love the Marantz just as much, if not a tad better. I know it's a little off the mark, but it still sounds good and pleasureable to me.

Now I'll stick my neck out for Wavebourn and Thorsten and say this - tube gear is like that, it lies like hell but still sounds good on occasion (through no fault of its own, not in these fast buck days, when you just stick any ol' tube in and hike the price up 25%).

Tube gear is like a shady woman - in the morning, she will tell you were the greatest lover in the world last night, you know she's lying to you, but it sure feels good to hear it said.

I'll be off to write down my Last Will now, before Wavebourn and Thorsten manage to gather a posse.

Last edited by dvv; 18th April 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 18th April 2012, 05:43 PM   #4444
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

A wise man once told me , never trust a man not into sports, booze, nor womanize. Tube amp deficiencies aside , T can be trusted .........

Old 18th April 2012, 06:06 PM   #4445
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
When I thought of it first, like 20+ years ago, I wasn't sure it was such a hot idea because even then, it seems changing of gear was what most people were in it for, and it seemed obvious to me that these would be strictly dedicated amps, made especially for a set pair of loudspeakers.
So what?
My fireplace is already dedicated for my living room. The same as subwoofer horn under floor, and line arays in walls.
Old 18th April 2012, 06:13 PM   #4446
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
So what?
My fireplace is already dedicated for my living room. The same as subwoofer horn under floor, and line arays in walls.
So nothing, as far as I am concerned, it doesn't bother me a bit, in fact, I rather like the idea.

But I'm not sure how well accepted it would be by the general audio public, goven that many simply can't resist changing every few months or so.
Old 18th April 2012, 06:16 PM   #4447
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
A wise man once told me , never trust a man not into sports, booze, nor womanize.
I'm not into sports, unless you count those usually involving horizontal positions or the hunt of the lucky journey cat for the white tiger, shooting rifles and when I was in better shape climb the occasional easy mountain.

So do not trust me...

Ciao T
Old 18th April 2012, 06:23 PM   #4448
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
But I'm not sure how well accepted it would be by the general audio public, goven that many simply can't resist changing every few months or so.
Becasuse of dissatisfaction. As soon as they find that all they try sounds worse than stationary system they give up and concentrate on listening to the music itself. People change equipment when they hear it. When they almost don't hear it they ignore it. Why to change something that is not audible, huh?
Old 18th April 2012, 06:24 PM   #4449
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
A wise man once told me , never trust a man not into sports, booze, nor womanize. Tube amp deficiencies aside , T can be trusted .........

Well, the above also very effciently eliminates me as well. I think of "sports" on TV as a massive buisness in which little is left to chance since too many people stand to lose too much, although I have an excellent tolerance to alcohol it does nothing for me (except for beer, cider, porto, sherry and Cointreau - but I will drink some like about twice a year, except for beer, which i do use much more regularly, must be my Austrian/German roots), and I definitely do not womenize.

A wise man once wrote - only a coward loves many women, a brave man risks everything and loves just one.

As for Thorsten, all I can say is this - over the last 11 or 12 years we've "known" each other over the Internet, he hasn't let me down once. Which is why I put so much stock in his advice. And he has not once failed to respond to an honest question. Not many like that around.
Old 18th April 2012, 06:28 PM   #4450
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

I'm not into sports, unless you count those usually involving horizontal positions or the hunt of the lucky journey cat for the white tiger, shooting rifles and when I was in better shape climb the occasional easy mountain.

So do not trust me...

Ciao T
Too late.

Hide this!Advertise here!