Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 433 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2012, 07:15 PM   #4321
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
China is producing these fakes, but there is no excuse for Mouser to be selling them. They should have /need a better vetting process...

The problem is that the copies are well neigh perfect. One is less and less able to tell them apart from the originals.

People like Mouser would in fact have to create a whole new department, which would test incoming products. While this is possible, it would necessarily raise their prices quite a bit, which would make them no longer competitive in pricing. These people can't do their jobs without proper labs, and that's beginning to hurt investment wise. And it can't be just two lonely guys in some basement.

I am about to take a leap and try to order (if they agree to ship to me) some Motorola/ON Semi products. Hopefully, they being a US company, there won't be any funny stuff, and I should get the real deal.

We'll see.
Old 10th April 2012, 08:05 PM   #4322
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
The problem is that the copies are well neigh perfect.
Come of it already.

The fakes are SO EASY to spot, anyone falling for them needs to be sectioned as danger to civil society... I am serious.

Ciao T
Old 10th April 2012, 08:52 PM   #4323
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

Come of it already.

The fakes are SO EASY to spot, anyone falling for them needs to be sectioned as danger to civil society... I am serious.

Ciao T
Then you are out of touch. True, there are still poorly made copies around, which are easy to spot, but they are fast being replaced by much better made ones.

Did you really think they would not perfect their craft?
Old 10th April 2012, 09:10 PM   #4324
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

It was Digi-Key. I got Fairchilds that met spec from Mouser. But yes. Of course, NASA has fallen prey. Part of it is the requirement to buy from small business resellers. We can't do direct to the company.

bcarso, But where did the parts actually originate? Not that counterfeit is unheard of. The execs from Mil-Spec fasteners in Maryland all went to jail for counterfeit bolts. Killed people.
Old 10th April 2012, 09:20 PM   #4325
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
The problem is that the copies are well neigh perfect. One is less and less able to tell them apart from the originals.

People like Mouser would in fact have to create a whole new department, which would test incoming products. While this is possible, it would necessarily raise their prices quite a bit, which would make them no longer competitive in pricing. These people can't do their jobs without proper labs, and that's beginning to hurt investment wise. And it can't be just two lonely guys in some basement.

I am about to take a leap and try to order (if they agree to ship to me) some Motorola/ON Semi products. Hopefully, they being a US company, there won't be any funny stuff, and I should get the real deal.

We'll see.
On Semi is Sanyo.
Old 10th April 2012, 09:31 PM   #4326
diyAudio Member

"Well then, buy Peerless or Dynaudio. And blame it all on the wife."

I tested the Peerless HDS and the current Vifa ring, along with the SB. All very good in the price range. All very different. I thought the HDS would be the ringer, but overall the Vifa is easier to use well. I am finishing up a set of metal dome Seas with Zaph mids for a relative to test some crossover ideas. I have pretty much decided I don't like metal drivers at all. It is hard to do A/B comparisons as they all need different crossovers,and tweaks. You really have to build a complete speaker.

I have not heard a Dynaudio. Never cared for the Focal's I have heard. I need to study the charts carefully now I think I know what to target.
Old 10th April 2012, 09:32 PM   #4327
diyAudio Member

And they produce highly recommendable elco's with ESR's in the 0.01Ohm neighbourhood. Lovely purple on top of it, for those nerdy enough to enjoy such kind of detail on a component (Sanyo that is).
Old 10th April 2012, 10:06 PM   #4328
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

Come of it already.

Ciao T
I just bought some mje15033g from Mouser, they look .. errr, different ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
It was Digi-Key. I got Fairchilds that met spec from Mouser. But yes. Of course, NASA has fallen prey. Part of it is the requirement to buy from small business resellers. We can't do direct to the company.

bcarso, But where did the parts actually originate? Not that counterfeit is unheard of. The execs from Mil-Spec fasteners in Maryland all went to jail for counterfeit bolts. Killed people.
Supplying Mil-spec stuff to the military is risky bizniz, just turned down an offer because of such, you buy supposedly mil-spec stuff, turns out not and bam your the bad guy ...

Sorry false economy if you lose ....

Quote:
"Well then, buy Peerless or Dynaudio. And blame it all on the wife."

I have not heard a Dynaudio. Never cared for the Focal's I have heard. I need to study the charts carefully now I think I know what to target.
Use Morel .....
Old 10th April 2012, 10:37 PM   #4329
diyAudio Member

Morel, They higher one look pretty easy to use on paper. Might like to give one a try. Of course, just got back from the vet and that wiped out this months play money.

Write your congressmen. They are responsible for the DFARS. You are exactly correct on how the blame game goes.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:53 PM   #4330
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I seem to recall the name started with an A, but I'm not sure. They (the negotiants) just assured me that it wasn't stuff sourced in China, because they had bought it here and shipped it over there.

It used to be the markings were crude enough that you could tell from that, but I think the counterfeiters have gotten considerably more sophisticated.

EEPROMs are particularly bad, because the failures can occur after a far-too-few read-write cycles. But you can't do a final test and catch this, unless the failures are really early on.

Brad

Hide this!Advertise here!