Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 413 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2012, 07:20 PM   #4121
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,



www.elna.co.jp

Just deal with Japan directly. You need to make decent levels of orders though.

If your business is too small thy should be able to send you to a decent (not rip-off priced) stocking distributor.

Ciao T

PS, I found that stuff made in Japan or for Japaese concerns, it is best to go direct. People like Elna JP, Alps JP etc. are quite helpful if you introduce yourself as SME Audio OEM...
I had their Japanese address, but frankly, I never dreamed they would be willing to talk to individuals. I am certainly not a volume buyer, at least by their standards.

And I suppose I was influenced by the Chinese, who very often don't even want to talk to you regarding simple samples, with them, it has to be 10,000 of whatever to even take notice. How they expect people to buy their products by the truckload without even being able to examine them, I honestly don't know.

It's a brave new world.

Anyway, thank you for the advice and pointer, Thorsten.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 07:42 PM   #4122
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
I had their Japanese address, but frankly, I never dreamed they would be willing to talk to individuals. I am certainly not a volume buyer, at least by their standards.
Don't underplay your hand. Who knows, maybe your head-amp sells tens of thousands because you have used a decent design and a few magic parts...

Do introduce yourself as manufacturer, not as individual. Explain your branching out from AC filters into electronics (Pre/Headamp) and ask how to get a modest number of samples and volume pricing in hundreds and thousands (which are nice on Icecream)...

Ciao T
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 07:46 PM   #4123
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
No one has mentioned the old Mallory "computer" grade caps. They were truely huge, I have 2 .1F @ 125V somewhere in storage.
Key word: old. That is a bit of a problem with electrolytic. We sure use a bunch of those puppies back when I was building power supplies in Colorado. Pretty dramatic when the rectifiers were wired wrong. I think they were PCB's back then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 07:49 PM   #4124
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
Much thanks for the tips. I am at the mercy of re-sellers as to be, 10 is a really big order. At least it tells me what to be looking for.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 08:00 PM   #4125
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,



Don't underplay your hand. Who knows, maybe your head-amp sells tens of thousands because you have used a decent design and a few magic parts...
Yeah, sure ...

Quote:
Do introduce yourself as manufacturer, not as individual. Explain your branching out from AC filters into electronics (Pre/Headamp) and ask how to get a modest number of samples and volume pricing in hundreds and thousands (which are nice on Icecream)...

Ciao T
OK, thank you, will do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 08:51 PM   #4126
diyAudio Member
 
scott wurcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: cambridge ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Key word: old. That is a bit of a problem with electrolytic. We sure use a bunch of those puppies back when I was building power supplies in Colorado. Pretty dramatic when the rectifiers were wired wrong. I think they were PCB's back then.
I thought only old metal can types used in ballasts and power grid applications, etc. contained PCB's (transformers too).
__________________
"Greetings from The Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!" aka the Wizard of Wrestling.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 10:14 PM   #4127
diyAudio Member
 
Wavebourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I thought only old metal can types used in ballasts and power grid applications, etc. contained PCB's (transformers too).

Why electrolytics should contain it? It was in audiophile grade 3-directional motor run paper in oil tuna cans.
__________________
The Devil is not so terrible as his math model is!
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 10:30 PM   #4128
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
All I know is the safety folks freaked out when we filled the entire manufacturing floor with mist and oil from them, and that is what they said. I'm not dead yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 11:17 PM   #4129
diyAudio Member
 
Wavebourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
All I know is the safety folks freaked out when we filled the entire manufacturing floor with mist and oil from them, and that is what they said. I'm not dead yet.
You were happy to be born before that accident. It delays growth of nervous cells of fetuses.
__________________
The Devil is not so terrible as his math model is!
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 11:29 PM   #4130
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Ha, safety guys... can't get any other job, they need to show that they are usefull.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quality Control differences = variations in sound quality? KT Class D 3 4th June 2014 12:02 AM
Sound Card for Measurements Marik Solid State 2 2nd January 2012 08:59 PM
Sound Card Recommendations (For Audio Measurements) dchisholm Equipment & Tools 5 16th July 2011 09:40 AM
How to protect sound card during amp measurements? okapi Everything Else 13 2nd September 2008 03:06 PM
Sound cards - test and measurements jackinnj Everything Else 2 5th July 2003 03:02 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2