Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 412 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2012, 03:46 PM   #4111
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
This mongrels satisfy my needs completely:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th March 2012, 04:07 PM   #4112
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

Not sure what you have as retail prices etc. Last time I shopped at Bürklin (ages ago) they where mostly selling surplus/discontinued. Has that changed?

Bürklin has nothing that matches the Elna "For Audio" I have, but their 10,000uF/63V Cap is a slightly smaller size than the 18,000uF/71V I have and costs around 20-30% more than what I pay for the Elna. Maybe your Prices for the Elna are very unreasonable? Where are they from? Elna Europe?

Ciao T
Actually, Thorsten, I never once managed to a quote on Elna caps from Germany. I tried several addresses I got one way or another, but never made it.

Also, I do not buy F&T fro Buerklin, which is a very de luxe place price wise, it is obtained for me by my professional suppliers locally at rather agreeable prices. An F&T 10,000 uF/63V snap-in cap costs me around €8 locally, which includes transportation charges, customs at 9% and VAT at 18%, which means it was sourced for around €5-6.

Under the same circumstances, BC Components' 22.000uF/63V caps cost me €20 per piece.

If you have a good source for Elna and such like, and if you're willing to share it, I would be very grateful. A link or two would be just fine.

What I personally think of Elna is, in fact, immaterial. The public at large has been brainwashed regarding Elna a long time ago, so I need to have them inside my products, and I can always do my own sample with something else if I so feel.
Old 29th March 2012, 04:12 PM   #4113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
No one has mentioned the old Mallory "computer" grade caps. They were truely huge, I have 2 .1F @ 125V somewhere in storage.
Point taken.

And they were DAMN good, too. In the 70-ies, everybody who was anybody liked to sport those big babies.

Whatever happened to them? Are they still around?
Old 29th March 2012, 04:32 PM   #4114
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
If you have a good source for Elna and such like, and if you're willing to share it, I would be very grateful. A link or two would be just fine.
www.elna.co.jp

Just deal with Japan directly. You need to make decent levels of orders though.

If your business is too small thy should be able to send you to a decent (not rip-off priced) stocking distributor.

Ciao T

PS, I found that stuff made in Japan or for Japaese concerns, it is best to go direct. People like Elna JP, Alps JP etc. are quite helpful if you introduce yourself as SME Audio OEM...
Old 29th March 2012, 05:28 PM   #4115
diyAudio Member

The break-in recommendation for Black Gate caps, in general, is 30 hours with AC signal running through them. I have this from an original app note by Black Gate.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:32 PM   #4116
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

www.elna.co.jp

Just deal with Japan directly. You need to make decent levels of orders though.

Whats next chinese arithmetic ... Language ....... !!!!
Old 29th March 2012, 06:29 PM   #4117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Point taken.

And they were DAMN good, too. In the 70-ies, everybody who was anybody liked to sport those big babies.

Whatever happened to them? Are they still around?
Still around but seem much smaller than in the 80's. I remember my Hafler had 2 X 10,000 @ 75V. The prices are through the roof, looks like 10X in singles compared to what you are talking about.
Old 29th March 2012, 06:34 PM   #4118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Whats next chinese arithmetic ... Language ....... !!!!
Is it that difficult to press Engrish button?
ELNA
Old 29th March 2012, 07:15 PM   #4119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Still around but seem much smaller than in the 80's. I remember my Hafler had 2 X 10,000 @ 75V. The prices are through the roof, looks like 10X in singles compared to what you are talking about.
Wow! That is SOME price difference!

Any feelings about Cornell-Dubilier? A friend who makes amps swears by them, while I have exactly zero experience with them.
Old 29th March 2012, 07:18 PM   #4120
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Reciprocate .....

ELNA AMERICA, INC.

Hide this!Advertise here!