Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 404 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2012, 06:47 PM   #4031
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
BMW ...'s = posers ...
In Germany Posers drive merc's, not BMW. BMW are quite common every day cars there.

That is the fun with an M5 or M7... An almost racing car that looks like a normal family car.

Ciao T
Old 27th March 2012, 07:35 PM   #4032
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

M5? Way too big. I prefer my GTI. Besides, having owned a Mini Cooper, I will never own another BMW. It is BMW I learned to detest, not the car. I had complaints about it too.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:19 PM   #4033
diyAudio Member

Z8 for me (if the wife would stop holding on to the clutchpurse...) E
Old 27th March 2012, 08:23 PM   #4034
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Much as I admire German prowess in car manufacturing, and I take my hat off to VW for managing to reduce fuel consumption as they did, I have to say I find German cars to be boring. Dead boring.

Somehow, they lack the fire and passion of Italian cars, however Italian cars lack German precision engineering. And please, don't say: "Ah, but Ferrari ..." because Ferrari makes around 5,000 cars per annum, which is around 0.001% of the world production, whereas Germany makes around 9.9% of the total annual world production.

I drove the new Alfa Romeo Guilietta the other day, a friend (a dedicated Alfista) just bought it. I think I see the reason why when you once own an Alfa, you will never be happy with anything else. That machine has character, it breathes a lot more fire than you'd ever guess from its specifications, but unfortunately, it is rather expensive. Then again, it seems to be better made than Alfas have been over the last 30 years. It appears FIAT has finally decided to bring back the Alfa of old.

On the feel alone, no German made product I have ever been in has that kind of feeling. On the other hand, no Alfa will ever last as long as a common VW. At least thus far. One of its highlights is its "DNA" switch (Manettino on the Ferraris). It changes the character of the car as per your current feeling, and has three positions - Wet, Comfort and Sport. Switch to sport, and your engine turns from docile to explosive, your steering becomes shraper and your brakes really bite. A joy to drive.

As for other Italian specialties, I have eaten better pizza in New York and Boston than in Italy. Americans seem to have perfected it no end. But pasta is still better in Italy than elsewhere, at least what I tried of it.

And the best Wiener schnitzel I ever ate was, I am pleased to say, still in Vienna. And with a heraty laugh as well - in a family restaurant in Vienna, they served outstanding meat, with potatoes on the side, accompanied by a potato salad.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:24 PM   #4035
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Guys, I already split off a car thread. Could you discuss them over there?
Old 27th March 2012, 08:26 PM   #4036
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

In Germany Posers drive merc's, not BMW. BMW are quite common every day cars there.

That is the fun with an M5 or M7... An almost racing car that looks like a normal family car.

Ciao T
After all, it IS a souped up family car.

Frankly, I feel BMW has lost much of its previous sheen, they went for the profits and started making cars which look too much like their take on Mercedes Benz.

Whereas Porsche still flies straight as an arrow, that's a car which somehow seems to except tself from tha laws of physics. The only truly fiery German car, if one disregards small time manufacturers, like Bitter and such like.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:37 PM   #4037
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
M5? Way too big. I prefer my GTI. Besides, having owned a Mini Cooper, I will never own another BMW. It is BMW I learned to detest, not the car. I had complaints about it too.
It's not a BMW not even close .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Guys, I already split off a car thread. Could you discuss them over there?
What..! No pastry thread ...
Old 27th March 2012, 08:50 PM   #4038
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

In Germany Posers drive merc's, not BMW. BMW are quite common every day cars there. That is the fun with an M5 or M7... An almost racing car that looks like a normal family car.

Ciao T
BMW has no brakes and soft controls ( had one ) Porsche is the only one doing real cars , get a panamera ( OK, close your eyes a bit ) Mercedes black is no poser , better than any BMW.

Amp:
Current feedback vs voltage, still need and answer to my original question, why current feedback and isn't a voltage amp better for load tolerance than current ..?

Transformer:
How much reserve do you like to see in your transformers, if any ..?
Old 27th March 2012, 09:07 PM   #4039
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
And the best Wiener schnitzel I ever ate was, I am pleased to say, still in Vienna. And with a heraty laugh as well - in a family restaurant in Vienna, they served outstanding meat, with potatoes on the side, accompanied by a potato salad.
We always kept a big chive plant in the garden, did your family use liebstoeckl? I have my own propagated from the cuttings my grandparents brought here.
Old 27th March 2012, 09:27 PM   #4040
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Anyway, one thing I noticed right off when modeling the Rotel is it is slow. Uses input compensation at 2.2MHz, loads the VAS output with the Cdom at 14.6K and has what looks like transitional Miller compensation sans the resistor between the cap and negative input. So, this leads us back to reduced BW and not producing high harmonics that could be messing with the tweeter?

Now, I still need to open one as I am guessing at the miller comp value. They intentionally did not mark two parts on the schematic.

a., right, it is BMW I hate. Arrogant, won't stand behind their products. For a car, it was vastly better than the pig they called a 3 series in 2009.

Hide this!Advertise here!