Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 398 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2012, 07:56 PM   #3971
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
This wiki is o.k., although I dissent that Nelson really invented the concept, as such feedback goes way back (a tube amp with feedback to the input device cathode for example) --- and I believe that Comlinear lost some battles after that patent issued.
You are right, but at the time those pointing this out were considered envious neighbobs. I can't recall any IC company paying royalties on these patents.
Old 25th March 2012, 08:32 PM   #3972
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
You are right, but at the time those pointing this out were considered envious neighbobs. I can't recall any IC company paying royalties on these patents.
Perhaps it's more about the ego than the money.

I have always suspected Nelson Pass of a whopping ego. I can't legally prove it, but I resent his ideas peddled to the DIY community that one MOSFET can do it all, yet he builds his own amps with a multitude of output devices. His Threshold models used to have 30+ output transfitors.
Old 25th March 2012, 08:35 PM   #3973
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post

I have always suspected Nelson Pass of a whopping ego. I can't legally prove it, but I resent his ideas peddled to the DIY community that one MOSFET can do it all, yet he builds his own amps with a multitude of output devices. His Threshold models used to have 30+ output transfitors.
Different Nelson --- last name not first. See the wiki.
Old 25th March 2012, 09:17 PM   #3974
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Yes it's Carl Nelson of Comlinear, no need to vent at NP it will make you no friends here.
Old 25th March 2012, 09:29 PM   #3975
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:

Way off base on this one DVV...
Old 25th March 2012, 11:37 PM   #3976
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

There is some irony here, as I put in my order to Digi-Key I was thinking of all the help I have received in an effort to "POOGE" an old Hafler. A process coined by, Mr. Pass.

His one transistor wonders are for those that need a 6W amp for their Louthers. He serves a market. If you need 100W, I am sure he can accommodate that after you get the mains to your house beefed up. If you read his papers, he is big on not making distortion in the first place, so many outputs are typical of his work. Even the original 60W Adcom 353 had triples. Actually, I am really tempted to snag a PA-5 or Forte off the Web.
Old 26th March 2012, 06:07 AM   #3977
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Does anyone know of a high-end power amp that uses this approach?
...current-feedback...
Nelson's F5 springs to mind.
(Nelson Pass, that is)
Old 26th March 2012, 06:08 AM   #3978
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
His one transistor wonders are for those that need a 6W amp for their Louthers. He serves a market.
I personally was an active supporter of one transistor concept, and struggled for it at russian forums. Zen9 and FirstWatt F3 are not bad at all. But this concept has revealed its inherent limits to me, after several years of efforts. Not because of low-power. Even with best Louthers, this concept does not allow to approach top leage sound, in resolution, microdetails and bass articulation. I could understand, why some designers could wonder about amount of supporters and real merits of the approach. But this does not mean any claim to Nelson, I am thankful to him for his role in DIY community. Everybody should go his own route.
Old 26th March 2012, 07:49 AM   #3979
Sin Bin

Sorry, I have never heard of this other Nelson. Most often, when you say "Nelson", people assume there's a Pass after it.

Mea culpa.
Old 26th March 2012, 07:56 AM   #3980
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirK View Post
I personally was an active supporter of one transistor concept, and struggled for it at russian forums. Zen9 and FirstWatt F3 are not bad at all. But this concept has revealed its inherent limits to me, after several years of efforts. Not because of low-power. Even with best Louthers, this concept does not allow to approach top leage sound, in resolution, microdetails and bass articulation. I could understand, why some designers could wonder about amount of supporters and real merits of the approach. But this does not mean any claim to Nelson, I am thankful to him for his role in DIY community. Everybody should go his own route.
Vladimir, far from me that I shoud pronounce anyone to the Devil, and Nelson Pass has been very kind to me personally on two or three occasions I contacted him. In terms of personal honour, I owe him.

But I do NOT believe the "single transistor" approach can provide truly satisfactory and consistent results. Locally, people went literally mad over Nelson's concept, so I have had many opportunities to hear his ideas at work. At best, it was all right, but one thing remained constant - his designs are rather sensitive to their work loads.

A more difficult speaker will deliver VERY different results from a tame one. As a firm believer that the amp should always be a constant voltage device, to me, this is completely unacceptable.

But if their owners are happy, who am I to complain?

It's just not my cup of coffee, that's all.

Hide this!Advertise here!