Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 351 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2012, 12:46 PM   #3501
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffforrest View Post
@dvv

"Test that hypothesis by making a copy of the original. Then copy the copy to end up with 5 copies. You will easily see that the 5th copy is considerably less sharp and defined than the first copy"

I am curious to know how the DVD/copy apparatus knows it is dealing with a "music file"?

When data copies (eg binaries) are made one can go copying ad finitem without error, unless the copy process is faulty. If this wasn't true, the whole computer industry would grind to a halt.
Cliff, don't ask me. I have no idea of how or why, but I do know what my eyes and ears tell me. True, I tried that test myself with a DVD, not a classic CD which has been around much longer, and possibly has better copying software.

When using Nero software, copies of audio disks sound like you turned the treble tone control to +6 dB. Same it is not by a long shot. I suspect this is just one of the possible differences, the one I ran into, when copying a CD audio disk on my home PC and playing it back on my car's Sony radio/CD player.
Old 16th March 2012, 12:47 PM   #3502
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
No, I do not accept that!
You may as well not accept gravity, you still won't fly off.
Old 16th March 2012, 12:49 PM   #3503
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffforrest View Post
@dvv

"Test that hypothesis by making a copy of the original. Then copy the copy to end up with 5 copies. You will easily see that the 5th copy is considerably less sharp and defined than the first copy"

I am curious to know how the DVD/copy apparatus knows it is dealing with a "music file"?

When data copies (eg binaries) are made one can go copying ad finitem without error, unless the copy process is faulty. If this wasn't true, the whole computer industry would grind to a halt.
Ever seen anything perfect, including PC software?
Old 16th March 2012, 12:50 PM   #3504
diyAudio Member

OK.

"but I do know what my eyes an ears tell me!"

Good for you, but I can easily demonstrate in so many ways that what mine tell me is not to be trusted without examination.

If what you say is true, the whole of engineering and science is turned upside down. I am surprised you are not more curious.
Old 16th March 2012, 12:51 PM   #3505
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Ever seen anything perfect, including PC software?
And that is relevant in what way exactly?
Old 16th March 2012, 12:57 PM   #3506
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

@dvv If two files have the same checksum (digital (binary) copy, not a reencoded dvd),
then they _are_ 100% identical. There is no way around that fact.
Old 16th March 2012, 01:05 PM   #3507
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

When you copy a file it sometimes injures the little pixies who live between the bytes. They get their revenge by damaging the sound.
Old 16th March 2012, 01:07 PM   #3508
diyAudio Member

Gentlemen, we can mince words no end and still not agree.

I suggested a simple test anyone can do at home. Do it, and then come back and tell me that the 5th copy of a copy is the same as the original. Theory is nice, but if it's not verified by practice (at some point), it's just a mental mastrubation.
Old 16th March 2012, 01:08 PM   #3509
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

dvv, that´s not theory. You do know what a checksum is ?
Old 16th March 2012, 01:29 PM   #3510
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
T, I finally found some Citation XX schematics and they DO look like the original design that Matti brought over in 1978. That circuit was the sort of 'video amp topology' that I noted. IF Matti kept to that topology, then I owe him an apology. Yet, I still remember seeing a schematic with comp differential jfets from HK. That is still a mystery.
HK6950R

Hide this!Advertise here!