Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
dvv, the best quality lossy encoding will be 320kbit/s, current - best quality- codec, 22050 maximum bandwidth, no "mid-side Joint Stereo", no "intensity JS" and no "narrrowing of stereo image".

the mp3 encoder licensed from fraunhoffer institut (they created mp3) allows these options. I have not much experience with LAME the past years because ever since i got hold of the original manufacturer encode, i think lame can only be worse. It still allows configuration though so YMMV.

Thank you, Tsiros.

I'll take a new and a much more detailed look at my Nero, because I already have it, and I seem to remember that it also allows many options regarding MP3, but I could be wrong.

In that, the above info will be most useful.

On backyard, with notebook, to configure Puppet, Passenger, Foreman, Graphviz, and other useful packages... And reconfigure ports after replacement of a console server with failed flash drive (48 ports, almost all used, no backup of config files had been ever performed!)

What, to smell rotten fish and pollution? No, my backyard and workshop are my vacation. Four speaker projects going, one of them very well. Considering picking up a PA-5 to round out my office system. I keep seeing Linn amps go for pretty reasonable money, but I know noting about them.

Shameless plug: Have you played with Accumulo?

No, I don't work for Google.
What do you use it for?

By the way, can you recommend some useful tool to keep track of infrastructure? Something like network scanner + host database, with output in .dot format. It would be nice to have graphs of vlans, subnets, hosts, virtual boxes, packages installed there, etc... All hosts have facter installed by default, so it may be used as well...

It's hard to choose at the seaside in the summer.

The regular beaches are way to crowded during the warm and sunny period, only good for walking the dog after hours, or eating & lounging after ~6pm.
So it's either nudy perv beach, On the water, or at the pool in the backyard.

Leaving for Berlin in a day, couple of weeks later to the Dutch Antilles for Carlos Santana, Ruben Blades, and Paquito d'Rivera.
A month later again, other island, for Chaka Khan and Oscar d'Léon.
Caribbean Sea Jazz Festival, October 5 + 6, 2012, Cas di Cultura plaza, Aruba
Home - Curaçao North Sea Jazz Festival

(last time i enjoyed myself in the mountains was talking to a Korean guy for an hour, waiting for a Swiss tunnel)

No Swiss tunnels for me on the way to Greece. In conjunction with bookings.com and our (my wife's and my own) knowledge of the area, our summer vacation is all booked and done in late March or early April.

Last year, we found this great hotel, very decent for a fair price, its main claim to fame being its truly incredible microclimate - you can't be without a lovely sea breeze for longer than 60 seconds. Given that we both have poor sinuses, as do most city dwellers, this is a blessing.

10 days net (plus 2 days for getting there and coming back) is ideal for us. We just sit in the car, turn the air con on, switch the music on, and we're on our way.

What is this, is everyone off for their summer vacation?

I know we continentals like to go to the seaside, where do you guys living at the seaside go to? The mountains?

Hi DVV . I was just up the road from you in Kolocep .

Nice to be back . Compression is wonderful . The old ways were better .

I would say a beautifully conceived compression system which was completely good to use uncoded would be great . It could them be uncoded by sensing volume used if required . Perhaps by small microphone in the room ?

I was advocating a new analogue recording system of at least 100 dB dynamic range . it would be so perfect so as to allow easier digital mastering if required in existing formats . This compression system could be part of it .

So perfect would mean that the distortion and hiss would be as the best op amps and 24 bit . Like convectional analogue some chance to get it wrong and still have a usable recording . Or corrupt it for effect . I imagine a DBX type system would be used . However much better . One could have digital and analogue together somehow . The digital side recording compression rates with extreme accuracy perhaps ?

Hiya Nige!

Hope you had a good vacation!

I've been struggling with MP3 and WMA file formats, but, with help from friends on this forum, I did get it right in the end. Admittedly, the programs I have are far from being intuitive and demand maximum attention - one slip and you're down the drain.

Anyway, it's all done now, I put 325 songs, about 13-14 hours' worth, on an USB 4 GB memory stick, with lots of space left. I am ultimately limited by the car's electronics, which can handle 999 songs, but hey, that's way more than enough. A much greater problem is fidning the time to transfer the music.

Actually, I am perplexed and angry at GM/Chevrolet. They built in a radio/CD unit, hooked it up into the car system and the infotainment screen, the built in 6 speaker system and whatnot, but the system will play WAVE format only off the actual, physical CDs you stik in - but not from a USB memory stick. Why, I have no idea, but it seems rather silly to me, a job not finished.

Obviously, I would have MUCH preferred to have been able to use a full 16-bit format. But then, I am a complete novice in the world of non-Red Book formats, and still have much to learn. No time now, but after the vacation.

Well, I took time off my speakers and finally bought Linear Audio Vol 0 so I can read the piece on the inclusive Miller feedback. Now I know why I could not get it to work in Spice. I was guessing too much. By the simulation, it has a dramatic effect. It took me so long to get the DH-120 stable, and it sounds pretty good, I am almost scared to tear into it again. Naaa, Why not! With a new CD player and new speakers almost done, I might as well step it up another notch. The worst I could do is blow it up again. I almost bought a PA-5 really just to match the CA-5 and ST-7 preamp and tuner. It is too big for the shelf though. Empty boxes are really frustrating.

To get a new CD player, I was limited to only two. NAD and Arcam. Everything else is too deep. Can't say I am thrilled with the 565 but I have to get some new speakers in here before I condemn it. Through the Grado's, I am not sure.

As soon as the paint cures, I'll be able to see if I have whipped my wife's super hearing with the new speakers and if the Parasound beats the Rotel after all. I'm pretty happy with how this pair is coming out. Maybe by Sunday. If they work, I'll do a front port version with less BSC for my office and see how the NAD/Nak/Hafler sound.

So glad a Hafler is being used . I built the preamp from kits in the old days for my customers to save them money .

DVV , I had a wonderful time ( 39 C ) . Trapan wine is big discovery ( Bruno Trapan ) . .

You raise an interesting point . I have always thought car stereo sounds better than many home hi fi's if looking at the simple inexpensive end of the market . The package supplied with the car can be researched for a room that is always the same and repeated 1000's of times ( a VW Golf for example ) . The power source is quite good . The amplifier that results is more like a 1960's push pull with op amp bandwidth . The distortion not unlike a valve amp . I often wondered if one of those with decent speakers might make a very nice home hi fi ? Klipshe Forte 2 come to mind .

My encoded analogue compression idea was not well explained . The idea is to find a compression system with a very nice sound . My guess is a dynamic range of perhaps as low as 40 dB for standard use . It could even be transcribed to CD like that . The "encoding " ( squashing ) would be to a very accurate defined standard . Perhaps a 19 kHz - 50 dB reference tone at the start to inform a decoder and calibrate the system ? The expansion could be as said before controlled by user preference and room placed microphone . The ultimate idea is that the restored analogue is as perfect as you want it to be . If a true > 100 db dynamic range is preferred then it is available . I would also use a sound field microphone so that in classical music the microphone placement can be made to move . One day I might like to listen to a Bach concerto close up , another day in the cheap seats . Soccer matches on Sky TV use them ! I was also thinking a 32 bit 250 kHz storage memory might be an idea . This would mean loosing the purity of the concept for convenience . It would store for a second or whatever to allow level data to be recorded . Digital information would then be encoded in standard 16 bit 44.1 kHz . The CD that resulted would be perfectly compatibly with standard set ups and preferable . Although all digital , the compression would be analogue with a analogue expansion if required . The idea of 32 bit and 250 kHz is to record it also in other formats at the same time . The big deal is the expansion rates will always be identical from system to system . Only quality will differ . The system would do exactly what I did when recording . It would " gain ride " . My recordings were done with a full rehearsal . The conductor even taught me to read his intentions . The performance was always louder than rehearsal ( 20 dB often ) . I was told Herbert Von Karajan was able to control micro dynamics better than others . Thus Ravel Bolero was made more exciting his way . How a man with his past could be so good with impressionist music I will never know . Leonard Bernstein was great , however his Ravel and Debussy was no match for Karajan !! Talk about schmaltz .

I'm pleased to note you're happy with your vacation, Nige. That's as it should be.

Frankly, I don't see my car as a good audio environment. Nor do I much care, given that I am too busy considering all the options the surrounding kamikaze drivers and pedestrians have on their minds. Too little capacity left to concentrate on the music itself.

So I am not complaining about the compressions used, but I do wonder why can't it replay plain WAVE files from the USB source, I see no reason why it shouldn't, even if it is a cheap car. And frankly, this is one of my surprisingly (beacuse it's a cheap car) few quibbles with it, none of which could be classed as important. Surprisingly few trade-offs. So I'll live.

@tvrgeek

Frankly, your choice of CD players is, in my view, a poor one. I never liked NAD audio much, to me they're just another wanna-be company. While their CD players (at least, the ones I've heard) will do a decent job of it, that's all you'll get from them, just a decent job. Don't expect any revelations.

Arcam I don't really know, I heard only one of their CD players lately, I forgot the model designation, but it was supposed to be their middle of the range model. Again, nothing exciting about it, it's too polite for its own good.

But that's just me.

The car is a very bad environment . However the same prescription for each is a big factor in the success of this very humble equipment . We also have a pressure sealed cabin which helps . I would say many home hi fi's do not have the symbiosis that many humble car stereos have . I heard one recently with Martin Logan and Krell . No idea what was mismatched . It just did not work . The guy seemed oblivious and very proud . He also had more hi fi than any hi fi shop . Revox amps etc . The best example of outstanding correctness was the old B&O radio ( Beolite ? ) . Mono , expensive whilst not outrageous . 9inch x 5 inch speaker looking like TV speakers ( Dalquiste style ) . Sound better than most hi fi's . Bose seem to be recreating such ideas . I doubt if they are as good ?

I know there are far better CD players. But NONE of them fit on a 12 inch shelf.

Attachments

• 100_0439.JPG
    100_0439.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 114
Status
Not open for further replies.