Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2012, 08:41 AM   #3301
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

With all this history being flung around, there is one question I would like to ask JC.

I have seen it often mentioned that it was Mark Levinson anf your good self who single handedly invented the High End. I guess that would be something around 1974, 1975 or so. At the time, I was busy subscribing to America's Audio, British Hi Fi News & Record Review and Italy's Suono, so I was out of the loop and consequently have no personal view on the matter.

My question is this - without any false modesty, how true is the view that ML and yourself practically invented what we take to be High End as we know it today? Wasn't SAE active already at the time, and could they also be taken as members of what was to become the High End?
Old 12th March 2012, 08:48 AM   #3302
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I was a personal colleague of Owsley (Bear), up until his recent death (in a road accident). I generated a great many 'breakthroughs' because of Acid.
Actually, what I was most interested in finding is how electricity flows in a wire. I still don't know much.
John, are you referring to the 'Bear' who is a member here? Did he have an accident?

jan
Old 12th March 2012, 09:13 AM   #3303
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Different one, Jan. Stanley versus Randall.
Old 12th March 2012, 09:13 AM   #3304
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
John, are you referring to the 'Bear' who is a member here? Did he have an accident?

jan
No, a different Bear. This one: Owsley Stanley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12th March 2012, 09:37 AM   #3305
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What do you think a.w?
Hard to say JC , I missed the period by almost a decade , my teenage years where in the 70's , I do like what came out of the 60,s (music) I' m a big fan of that era of jazz ( van gilder) hence the question ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Except for a predominant fixation on the second chakra, I think it improved everything Although pinworms and head lice were less than cool (borrowed from Tom Wolfe).

Brad
Err ....ok ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
With all this history being flung around, there is one question I would like to ask JC.

I have seen it often mentioned that it was Mark Levinson anf your good self who single handedly invented the High End. I guess that would be something around 1974, 1975 or so. At the time, I was busy subscribing to America's Audio, British Hi Fi News & Record Review and Italy's Suono, so I was out of the loop and consequently have no personal view on the matter.

My question is this - without any false modesty, how true is the view that ML and yourself practically invented what we take to be High End as we know it today? Wasn't SAE active already at the time, and could they also be taken as members of what was to become the High End?
There was already the high-end IMO , it was fine tuned when levinson and JC got together , well at least for me, there is an video with Levinson on u-tube describing that era .

Search Mark Levinson .........
Old 12th March 2012, 09:52 AM   #3306
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post

I have seen it often mentioned that it was Mark Levinson anf your good self who single handedly invented the High End.
This will come as a surprise to the ghosts of Peter Walker, Rudy Bozak, Gordon Gow, Frank McIntosh, the Hartleys, Arthur Jantzsen, the nice folks at Decca and Ortofon...

I think Levinson's main contribution was the concept of audio-as-fashion-accessory. "Why pay less?"
Old 12th March 2012, 10:15 AM   #3307
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Those weren't exactly cheap stuff either ......
Old 12th March 2012, 10:30 AM   #3308
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroj View Post
Dear Brad and all,

Speaking of historical accuracy...
I joined this forum in the process of looking for any mention of US Patent 5,155,449 here.
When I first saw it, my jaws dropped. My first reaction was - how dare someone to patent a circuit that I considered to be a "common knowledge" up until that moment. I am sure, I've seen this topology way before 1992.
Anyone care to comment?

Best,
Maybe what he really patented was the use of C1 to bootstrap the cs?
(No I didn't read the patent).

jan
Old 12th March 2012, 10:38 AM   #3309
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The patent is a version of the WHITE follower shown in the MIT series from WW2.
The patent specifically cited White and distinguished their invention. Reading the file wrapper will give you insight as to how.
Old 12th March 2012, 10:51 AM   #3310
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!