Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 311 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2012, 04:22 PM   #3101
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWW View Post
Abraxalito is right to this extent:

Supply creates demand.
If the product does not exist, then there is no demand.

So if you're going to market you will have convictions and will take risk.
Only a half-truth. True, often a new type of product can create a demand which previously did not exist. These days, it's a chore just to think of something that does not exist and would be interesting to people.

Then you have to get the design right, both technically and in looks. Then you have to assume the initial series volume, so you can have an idea of what it will cost. Then you have to have a bundle of money to make it truly known, i.e. for some pretty nifty advertising. Then you sit and pray it catches on. In the meanhile, you go to every fair and village road show you can to have it seen by as many as you can. All off which once again costs a bundle.

If you have the bundle, either yours or from venture capital, then this becomes a distinct possibility.

If you do not, then you're just daydreaming.

Do not compare this with the advent of Apple because the conditions are totally different. Apple started out when the very idea of a PC was new, when we had a new PC magazine appear every day and all of them couldn't print enough to satisfy our fancy as it was 30 years ago.

Today, we have an entirely different situation. The audio market is shrinking, not expanding. The gadgets market is several hundred times greater today than it was. And while you do have the Internet to show your wares, so does everybody else, and you end up swamped by hundreds of others who are after the same customers you are.

Then, we had an economic boom, expansion, today, we have an economic crisis and contraction. Don't kid yourselves, this one isn't going away for at least 4 or 5 years, before things really start moving on up again.

Don't get me wrong, far from me be it that I should want to discourage anyone, but beside Abraxalito's flamboyant can-can dancing with cryptic messages saying next to nothing, and his obvious good will, I see nothing to support his optimisim. And I have been self-employed all my life, so don't tell me I have no experience.

It looks one way on paper, but in real life, it's always something completely different. And you are working with people, so it's quite possible that even if it does take off, you may find yourself ripped off by your co-workers. Even the competition is not the same any more, today there are far less rules to protect you. And those that do exist are rather open to interpretation by sleazy lawyers fuelled by money only.

And lastly, put simply, you need balls of brass, not glass, to fully and truly commit yourself to anything on a do or die basis. To put your entire life on the line. When the chips are down, VERY few people can do actually do that, most shy away.

Last edited by dvv; 6th March 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 6th March 2012, 04:24 PM   #3102
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
In what market?
General purpose/Office Systems.

They failed miserably.

Ciao T
Old 6th March 2012, 04:24 PM   #3103
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
In what market?
None. It wasn't a commercial product. GUI in proto form dates back further to SRI.
Old 6th March 2012, 04:25 PM   #3104
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Ah, a market failure doesn't count as commercialization.

<edit> The Lisa counts as a market flop too. It took Jobs to commercialize the GUI for the mass market.

Last edited by abraxalito; 6th March 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 6th March 2012, 04:25 PM   #3105
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Photocopiers that had a GUI do control the onboard computer.

Even Atari has been around since 1972 and is technically has GUI to play games rather then work.
Old 6th March 2012, 04:27 PM   #3106
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

High Power Tube Amp's are no news.

Ciao T
Today , they are .........
Old 6th March 2012, 04:28 PM   #3107
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

While looking for some other stuff, I stumbled across a quite lucid and accessible treatment of the GedLee distortion metric, worth a read...

http://www.gedlee.com/downloads/THD_.pdf

Ciao T
A good read indeed.

Brad
Old 6th March 2012, 04:29 PM   #3108
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Don't get me wrong, far from me be it that I should want to discourage anyone, but beside Abraxalito's flamboyant can-can dancing with cryptic messages saying next to nothing, and his obvious good will, I see nothing to support his optimisim.
Which is all fine and dandy coz its clear to me you're not looking But I do agree - its one thing to talk the talk, and quite another to walk the walk.
Old 6th March 2012, 04:32 PM   #3109

Sy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
None. It wasn't a commercial product. GUI in proto form dates back further to SRI.
Xerox sold around 25,000 Units of the Xerox 8010 Information System, I believe that counts as commercial product...

Ciao T

PS, those who do not know history are bound to repeat it...

Last edited by ThorstenL; 6th March 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 6th March 2012, 04:37 PM   #3110

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Today , they are .........
Not just today. High power "HiFi" tube Amp's go back to the 70's (for PA to the 1930's). Even Carver had one in those days.

Ciao T

Hide this!Advertise here!