Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2012, 10:31 AM   #2941
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

I've had the chance to work a bit with analysers from R&S(UPV), AP (2722) and PrismSound (DScopeIII). Each one has it's pros and cons but the DScope became my favourite for everday work, price/performance/size ratio is hard to beat and the user interface is excellent and way ahead of them all (IMHO). As for the 2722, to reach its full potential we had to outboard the toroid... The DScope went away recently with the engineer who's private property it was, so now I have to live with the AP -- well, things could be worse

If you look at standalone analysers like the UPV, Stanford's SR1 could be underdog competitor whose specs look good on paper (never seen one in RL).

Last edited by KSTR; 29th February 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:38 AM   #2942
210 is offline 210  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I remember Norton Commander. And Norton Antivirus.
Both is right, Waveborn!
Norton first developed his popular Commander Preamp with lots of features,
and then the Antivirus Device to destroy WiFi viruses with air solitons.
Btw., he knows me personally (I once stepped on his left foot)
and vice versa (he shouted: TAKE CARE, *****!).
Old 29th February 2012, 11:06 AM   #2943
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I think the tone of Thorsten's remarks ought to warn you that there is a tiny chance that he might be be somewhat exaggerating and misrepresenting the views and attitudes of those he disagrees with. For example, I don't know why Thorsten keeps banging on about THD - he mentions it far more often than the people he alleges are bound by it.
There might be some coincidence with the recent review of an AMR DAC in Stereophile, which was excellent, but showed THD not to be state of the art.
Old 29th February 2012, 11:36 AM   #2944
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
...but showed THD not to be state of the art.
Perhaps not SOTA, but still reasonably OK. The 1V output measurements were very good (1kHz distortion was -60dB, nearly entirely 2nd), the 2V good but less so (some higher harmonics appearing, but at extremely low level).
Old 29th February 2012, 11:49 AM   #2945
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Sound enhancer. But not an instrument designed to accurately reproduce its input. Pick your poison.
Old 29th February 2012, 12:15 PM   #2946
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
Sound enhancer.
Not so much from the look of the measurements. I would like to have seen a 10k load, since that seems to be a common value in real equipment these days, but I'd be surprised if the HD rose to the level of audible. More IM data would be nice as well, but that's me being greedy, I suppose.
Old 29th February 2012, 01:03 PM   #2947
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

Yes, de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

Where I have problems is when people do not express personal preference (I like Apples better than Oranges) but conclude that the only fruit that can be eaten is either apple or orange.

I like Pears incidentally and a nice Perry, but also am partial to "Apfelkorn" [apple vodka] or a littel Cointreu [orange brandy]... So in fact I like all fruits once they have been made into beverages... ;-)

Ciao T
I don't drink at all, not for moral reasons, but because it does nothing for me, though I do like beer and an occasional glass of wine.

As ever, there are two exceptions to this: Martini and Cointreau. Cointreau is the only drink my wife will take a sip of with pleasure, just to unwind.

I've had the opportunity to try many whiskeies, and sadly they all taste the same to me, agin, except two: Jack Daniels and Grant's. These two I actually differentiate by taste, on the one or two occoasions every year I take them.

I am a junkie for fruit juices, especially orange and apple. Not to even mention milk.
Old 29th February 2012, 01:10 PM   #2948
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Fully agree. However, if person W claims that X sounds better than Y, person Z may justifiably ask that this assertion is tested by scientific means, i.e. controlled ABX testing. Person W may refuse this, at which point person Z may conclude that it is all between the ears.

vac
I didn't mean that in absolute terms, but quite the opposite, in very personal terms.

Like when somebody tells you that your favorite cartridge, the one you have chosen after trying out many more, is in fact all wrong, and that you should get model X by Y, which will sound better. And you tried that one and dumped it. So that person knows better what you should have than you yourself.

Down to the utmost personal level.
Old 29th February 2012, 01:18 PM   #2949
diyAudio Member

This is an example of artificial sound enhancement that fooled me at the time.
Back in 1973, I was in NYC at the behest of the GD, and my present girlfriend then was with me by chance. She worked as the west coast representative for APHEX, and that is how I had met her. Well, we went to the APHEX office in NYC, since I was there in Manhattan.
I was given a demonstration of this device, and even allowed to use it with a Grateful Dead recording that they had. I 'dialed' it in so perfectly, that the owners of APHEX wanted to hire me on the spot as a recording engineer. I told them that I knew the band's sound because I had worked with them for years, and was on tour with them at the moment, not because I was a recording engineer, but this gave me an idea. I would get the Grateful Dead themselves to come over and listen to this 'amazing device', and they came.
They listened to the demonstration, and Jerry Garcia told me straight out! "It's an effects generator, man. We have stuff like that in the recording studio." I had thought it to be a 'miracle box' that returned 'life' to otherwise over-processed music, which it did at times. Oh well, at least they set me straight.
I still remained friends Kurt Kenopel (sp) the inventor of the APHEX, because I found him an interesting guy. And so it goes.
Old 29th February 2012, 01:37 PM   #2950
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Thorsten likes to paint things in black and white terms because it saves him time.
Not so much because it saves time, but because it creates clarity.

In reality I'm much more a shades of grey man, but in a place where one side persistently tries to paint the other black and itself white, I guess I have to add a paintjob of my own.

As for correlation of the measurements currently espoused as measure of quality, once someone demonstrates positive correlation that if I "improve" the Quantity Y of Quality A in these measurements I get better performance, I will accept that there is a correlation.

What you have stated (literally all of it) has been shown to be inadequate or irrelevant in one way or other. So sorry, correlation is ZERO from a scientific and statistical viewpoint.

Note, this does not mean that all measurements are useless, just that those commonly used as measure of quality are and should have been replaced decades ago (and would have been, if new data would cause correction).

So the "Black/White" is needed, if actually not that agreeable to me.

Ciao T

Hide this!Advertise here!