Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 292 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2012, 06:32 PM   #2911
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
http://es.shure.com/idc/groups/tech_...o_v15iv_ug.pdf

page 4 has some measured points over 70 cm/s - presumably intentional music recording velocity
Thanks for that! That's a wonderful amount of information. Would that contemporary vendors manage as much.
Old 28th February 2012, 06:47 PM   #2912
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yet, has anyone who had that cartridge ever observed mistracking? I never did, my V15-IV was a very solid tracker. It would be interesting to know where they got those numbers for the sales brochure.

In any case, those velocities, if believable, yield at most 56mV, still safely under the limit for the B-B MM stage.
Old 28th February 2012, 06:57 PM   #2913
diyAudio Member

I can mistrack virtually any MC cartridge with a specific direct disc record. I did it 100's of times with a number of MC cartidges and published the results in 1978, in an IEEE paper.
It is true that it is more difficult to mistrack a Shure, but the main thing is that the Shure cartridge has a 4 pole low pass filter connected to it above 20KHz, and that keeps any mistracking from being detected as such. The problem with the Shure, is that it did not sound as good as other phono cartridges, on the whole. That is why most serious audiophiles do not use Shure phono cartridges as their reference cartridge.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:03 PM   #2914
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
That is why most serious audiophiles do not use Shure phono cartridges as their reference cartridge.
Perhaps it's that they stopped making that cartridge 40 years ago. At that time, it was Gordon Holt's top choice (with a G stylus), but I guess he wasn't a serious audiophile.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:30 PM   #2915
diyAudio Member

I can't speak for Gordon Holt, but I did comparison tests between a Shure and an Ortofon MC, and put out the extra money for the Ortofon, for my personal system in 1965. However, for many customers, Berkeley Custom Electronics, where I worked part time, recommended the Shure M91 or M93 phono cartridges for less discriminate use.
For the record, I used the Shure M3D-N21 from 1963-1965, then switching to an Ortofon SPU, and then from 1970-1971 with a Shure M91, as a house guest in someone else's home, that I had installed for them. I then returned the Ortofon, and went on to the Supex, when it became available, then EMT, FR, etc. and never looked back, except to measure the Shure for my 1978 paper. It couldn't rise-time its way out of a paper bag, until the V15-V! '-)
Old 28th February 2012, 08:24 PM   #2916
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I can mistrack virtually any MC cartridge with a specific direct disc record. I did it 100's of times with a number of MC cartidges and published the results in 1978, in an IEEE paper.
It is true that it is more difficult to mistrack a Shure, but the main thing is that the Shure cartridge has a 4 pole low pass filter connected to it above 20KHz, and that keeps any mistracking from being detected as such. The problem with the Shure, is that it did not sound as good as other phono cartridges, on the whole. That is why most serious audiophiles do not use Shure phono cartridges as their reference cartridge.
My first Dual 1019 TT in 1970 was delivered with a Shure M75 cartridge. I kept it until 1977 (or was that 1978?), and had many opportunities to compare it with the V-15 series. These were sometimes mounted in much better TTs than mine was, being a sort of a middle-of-the-road model.

To my ears, the difference in price between a V-15 and my M75 was far greater than the difference in the sound, which was on the side of V-15. It was the better cartridge by a relatively small margin for a relatively large price difference.

Then I discovered Ortofon's LM series. I bought into it and have stayed there ever since. The only hassle I had with it was that I had to solder a 100 pF small cap to get the total capacitance to the 400 pF which Ortofon demanded. At the time, my reVox integrated amp had no adjustments, except for level, no R, no C.

So, personally, I tend to agree with John. However, many thought otherwise. In Europe at the time, a Shure V-15 in an SME 3009 arm was considered a standard for serious audiophilia, even if it was not regarded as the best ever.

What got me sold on Ortofon were two things: they were (to me) much more dynamic, more go and pazzazz, and they offered a cleaner treble.

Last edited by dvv; 28th February 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 28th February 2012, 08:25 PM   #2917
diyAudio Moderator

Holt felt that the MCs of that time were quite tonally colored compared to the Shure. Maybe, I didn't have the piles of master tape comparisons that he did, but I was quite happy with the Shure. I wasn't thrilled with too many of the MCs of that era, there was a pervasive upper midrange dip and upper treble peak. After trying a bunch, the best one I owned was a Dynavector Diamond, which was very good, but not nearly as good as a Technics MM I replaced it with. When the Technics became unobtainable, I switched to a Troika, which was also pretty good, though a step down from the Technics. I'm back to an MM, though (an A-T, really quiet, good tracking, and tonally similar to digital, which I consider a virtue).
Old 28th February 2012, 08:27 PM   #2918
diyAudio Member

Oh well, what can I say?
Old 28th February 2012, 10:02 PM   #2919
diyAudio Member

One of those fun things I learned from a major studio monitor manufacturer was that most of the first studio monitors (Think Altec to JBL dominant time) rolled off the high end a bit. That was because they were using 1" measurement microphones and did not allow for the HF rise caused by such a large diaphragm. As a result most of the records were mixed with a boosted HF content. The home reproduction systems were of course voiced to sound best with the best source of music.. records.

It took the studio monitor guys a while to fix the problem. When they showed truly flat monitor loudspeakers to the studio guys the response was they were too bright. So they basically improved about a db per decade until folks would accept flat.

So when the Shure V15 was popular a slight HF rolloff (3 db / 20K) would have sounded right.

So cartridge choice would have been influenced by the record source!
Old 28th February 2012, 10:03 PM   #2920
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Now I know why I never liked the V15. I was a Grace F9e fan. I would take the Grace arm over the SME any day. Linn if you were patient enough to get it set up. I miss the cartridge wars. They were almost like religion.

Moved from SIMetrix to LTSpice. A lot more tedious data entry, but a lot more capability.

Hide this!Advertise here!