Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 283 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2012, 09:35 PM   #2821
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Seems to me there is too much focus on the top end of FR when talking about hearing loss.
Losses down lower seem more important to me. A loss at 6K or 3K can make quite a difference, even if your hearing does extend to 16Khz.

Upper mid-range losses can be caused by noise or ear infections. They will affect you hearing ability much more than the "I can't hear 18Khz any more" losses.
Old 26th February 2012, 09:51 PM   #2822
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahab View Post
As already said the graph doesnt say that it was the audibility
threshold of THD , in fact it was audible at levels way below 0.5%.
No such thing as the audibility threahold of THD. Like, no such threshold of healtahibility of average temperature of patients in a clinic. Like temperature of each patient means different things according to his/her diagnosis, audibility of distortions depend on many factors, like loudness, order, dynamic behavior.
Old 26th February 2012, 09:54 PM   #2823
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Bacarso, why do you need this info?
Oh, I have ambitions of doing some "high-end" things I guess, but as well it would be nice to be able to recommend parts to people and have some confidence that I'm giving out reliable information. I spent years designing the electronics for cheap powered speakers that shipped in the millions, and enjoyed providing the best quality that could be accomodated by the cost target. Been there, done that, but unfortunately behaved in my expenditures as if it would go on forever*. Now things, almost impossibly, have gotten not so much cheaper but a good deal poorer, as essentially no one seems to mind

The tide may turn in time. At least the nonsense that youth prefer MP3 over higher-resolution audio, put forth on the basis of very poorly-controlled experiments by some professor, has been debunked by Sean Olive in better tests. So I think there is some hope.

Brad

*so my ambitions are thwarted if they are to make a small fortune, since I don't have a large one to start with.
Old 26th February 2012, 09:59 PM   #2824
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
IIRC the parts inside Scott's AD797 are around 6 ohms?
Yes, due to a rule violating layout. They are way smaller than most equivalent parts. But remember now there are several parts with sub-nanoVolt noise due to the sub-micron geometries that are available.
Old 26th February 2012, 10:08 PM   #2825
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Yes, due to a rule violating layout. They are way smaller than most equivalent parts. But remember now there are several parts with sub-nanoVolt noise due to the sub-micron geometries that are available.
Yes it's remarkable what is going on. I remember when Barrie G. told me about experimental devices at AD with complex structures that, among other things, were showing beta's of order 100k. A curiosity, although it makes finite beta less of a nuisance for translinear designs I suppose.

And in switchmode we have the advent of GaN, more things to grey the hairs of what Bruce H. has left , with switching frequencies posited as in the offing of ~50MHz. I think the magnetics lag a bit, although I saw a little 20MHz power supply the other day.
Old 26th February 2012, 10:58 PM   #2826
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

Strictly as measuring mike.

In my case I actually have a Behringer ECM8000 which is the whole thing build into a measurement mike case. So someone else did the job for me. Otherwise check the Linkwitz site.

EMU 1616m or EMU0404USB external sound cards, also provide phantom power.

Not use it at all?

The WM61 does not make a good recording microphone IMNSHO.

Ciao T
This is a cute circuit for a modified WM61 or equivalent. The distortion will be from the capsule only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaammm.JPG (33.1 KB, 109 views)
Old 26th February 2012, 11:09 PM   #2827
diyAudio Member

For those who care about speaker distortion, Soundstage, in their speaker reviews, provides data from the NRC on speaker distortion and specify the SPL. It is interesting that some highly touted speakers have relatively high levels of distortion. The spectrum of the distortion is also interesting. I assume it is THD only. Regards
Old 26th February 2012, 11:57 PM   #2828
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
This is a cute circuit for a modified WM61 or equivalent. The distortion will be from the capsule only.
Is the capsule cold side referenced to ground? Is there a gate resistor, and if so to what is it referenced?
Old 26th February 2012, 11:58 PM   #2829
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john dozier View Post
For those who care about speaker distortion, Soundstage, in their speaker reviews, provides data from the NRC on speaker distortion and specify the SPL. It is interesting that some highly touted speakers have relatively high levels of distortion. The spectrum of the distortion is also interesting. I assume it is THD only. Regards
When you say it is THD only, do you mean that they don't attempt to measure IM?
Old 27th February 2012, 12:16 AM   #2830
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Is the capsule cold side referenced to ground? Is there a gate resistor, and if so to what is it referenced?

No the gate floats biased by leakage current, just as in the normal connection.

Hide this!Advertise here!