Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 274 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2012, 01:53 PM   #2731
diyAudio Member

Interesting history on Crown, T.
Old 24th February 2012, 02:43 PM   #2732
diyAudio Member

I thought Crown's founder was Assembly of God not Mennonite. They used to tithe their profits for the missionary effort. (10%) They did start every work day with a voluntary chapel service. My old rep was around when they broke the million dollar annual sales mark. (I haven't yet placed that in a single order but it could happen!)

Gerald Stanley probably knows more about audio power amplifier design than the next three designers combined. But he doesn't believe in the golden ear approach.

Martin... oh you mean Marty almost missed the name. (But then it has been 35 years or so since we last spoke.)

Now I would be delighted if Crown gets their products back up there.

The sound quality has always been a mixed bag. It is difficult to make 5000 watt amplifiers that sound like 10 watts class A. Even then reliability is more important that absolute fidelity. In a large stadium many levels are adjusted to better than 1/2 db to get the results required. So even swapping a new amp in can sometimes be an issue. Then if you have 100,000 MTBF in even a small stadium that would be one failure every month!
Old 24th February 2012, 04:18 PM   #2733
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
I thought Crown's founder was Assembly of God not Mennonite. They used to tithe their profits for the missionary effort. (10%) They did start every work day with a voluntary chapel service. My old rep was around when they broke the million dollar annual sales mark. (I haven't yet placed that in a single order but it could happen!)

Gerald Stanley probably knows more about audio power amplifier design than the next three designers combined. But he doesn't believe in the golden ear approach.

Martin... oh you mean Marty almost missed the name. (But then it has been 35 years or so since we last spoke.)

Now I would be delighted if Crown gets their products back up there.

The sound quality has always been a mixed bag. It is difficult to make 5000 watt amplifiers that sound like 10 watts class A. Even then reliability is more important that absolute fidelity. In a large stadium many levels are adjusted to better than 1/2 db to get the results required. So even swapping a new amp in can sometimes be an issue. Then if you have 100,000 MTBF in even a small stadium that would be one failure every month!
I forget from whom I heard Mennonite, probably Plunkett or May, and appreciate the correction. Although I remember what people have said pretty accurately, when it is mistaken to begin with it doesn't help! John Eargle would be another one to corroborate things, but alas he is no longer with us.

I recall that one could readily obtain the schematic for the DC300, and I marvelled at its complexity and tweaky-looking parts here and there. I probably still have it in my files somewhere. As usual the orthodox magazines went on and on about the low measured distortion, as was customary in those days. But there was a lot of dissent from the audiophile mags, and corroborated in here. Having never had one I'd reserve my judgment, but I'd bet if I were to see that schematic today I'd find a good deal to question. As the old saying goes, If I Knew Then What I Know Now...

People that I respect in other audio areas have said that the new Levinson sounds good. However I was somewhat taken aback when I also heard them saying that it was difficult to hear crossover distortion The high equivalent switching frquency and analog-domain PWM should help the ML performance a lot, although I'm still going to be hard to convince that switchmode amps are in any way superior, other than for reducing electrical power bills. I was reading an old TAA last night and laughed when Nelson Pass suggests that the ecologically concerned might use his class A amp in the winter, and revert to class AB in warm weather
Old 24th February 2012, 04:22 PM   #2734
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
As usual the orthodox magazines went on and on about the low measured distortion, as was customary in those days. But there was a lot of dissent from the audiophile mags, and corroborated in here.
Gordon Holt and Stereophile loved it. I think they were about the only non-"orthodox" magazine around in those days.
Old 24th February 2012, 04:25 PM   #2735
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Gordon Holt and Stereophile loved it. I think they were about the only non-"orthodox" magazine around in those days.
Is it the Audio review I distantly recall that went on and on about it? Also, when did TAS fire up?
Old 24th February 2012, 04:36 PM   #2736
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This was before TAS. In fact, in the next issue, there was an LTE from Harry Pearson. Showing my age, but I still have all those early Stereophiles. Holt was one hell of a good writer, Selectric typesetting and all.
Old 24th February 2012, 04:51 PM   #2737
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
This was before TAS. In fact, in the next issue, there was an LTE from Harry Pearson. Showing my age, but I still have all those early Stereophiles. Holt was one hell of a good writer, Selectric typesetting and all.
Yeah I liked Holt too. Although I imagine we are roughly the same age, I hadn't started to look at this stuff in those days, although I think my father subscribed to Audio and I sometimes read those.

But my youngest brother got totally addicted to the subjectivist press and read TAS religiously. One of his favorite procrastinatory pursuits was to write out in meticulous longhand lists of components that he believed would sound good in a system. Of course, for the most part, these were never auditioned. There should probably be a latin name for that as a disorder
Old 24th February 2012, 06:58 PM   #2738
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Audiophilia ....................... n. Audiophile ..!!!!
Old 24th February 2012, 08:02 PM   #2739
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
I forget from whom I heard Mennonite,
Of course I could be wrong it might also have been Church of God. If it really mattered I could check with friend still above ground.

The DC300 has gone through several unannounced design changes. The first ones used Westinghouse output transistors. Westinghouse had to buy a bunch to test the transistors as Crown was rejecting batches on parameters W couldn't test!
Old 24th February 2012, 08:36 PM   #2740
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Of course I could be wrong it might also have been Church of God. If it really mattered I could check with friend still above ground.

The DC300 has gone through several unannounced design changes. The first ones used Westinghouse output transistors. Westinghouse had to buy a bunch to test the transistors as Crown was rejecting batches on parameters W couldn't test!
I thought you could be sure if it was Westinghouse! Yes, I'd forgotten they made transistors in those days.

Hide this!Advertise here!