Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 242 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2012, 08:37 PM   #2411
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonidos View Post
Yeesh, that old NASA story has long legs on the internet. That story gets bigger and better all the time and is not entirely true.
Good instincts. Urban Legend.

snopes.com: NASA Space Pen
Old 15th February 2012, 08:43 PM   #2412
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Sy,

The reason that I am not interested in establishing audibility limits is that my research concerns other areas. It is strictly directed at practical applications and at preferences of experienced (and modestly well off) listeners, however, i would like solid evidence that the extra cost is justified.

My ideal outcome would in each and every case be that no differences exists and I can use the cheapest and simplest solution and increase the profit.Ciao T
Hah! You wish!

And to make it just that wee bit more complicated, long gone is the rule of thumb that if you pay more, you get more. These days, the only rule is that there is no rule, you have to test just about everything yourself, and not once, but every time you get a new batch.

I've seen some serious variances in batches from some supposedly big names. I've seen warranty periods of some big and expensive names go down from 2 years to 6 months. And I'm supposed to give my customer a 5 year warranty?
Old 15th February 2012, 08:48 PM   #2413
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
There would be room to quibble. In some areas -110dB may be insufficient
This is where I can only but defer to the Golden Ears. If I put my ear right next to my speakers I can just about hear a hiss from the amplifier. It's certainly not audible to me more than a couple of inches away, even when not playing any audio - I imagine even Brownian motion of the air molecules probably swamps it after that. The idea that when playing music at any SPL, that level of underlying noise or distortion, even if completely non-harmonic, would be perceivable is, to me, incredible. And -110dB is much quieter than that!
Old 15th February 2012, 08:49 PM   #2414
Sin Bin

The POINT of that little tale is nicely expressed by the very first sentence right after the word: Origins.

Please take another look.
Old 15th February 2012, 08:52 PM   #2415
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
The idea that when playing music at any SPL, that level of underlying noise or distortion, even if completely non-harmonic, would be perceivable is, to me, incredible. And -110dB is much quieter than that!
Bill Waslo's brilliant Sousa band demo is very enlightening in this regard.
Old 15th February 2012, 08:53 PM   #2416
Sin Bin

Anyone remember the movie "The Ghostbusters"? The scene in which Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd are sitting on the steps of the university they have just been fired from and are discussiong their options, when Harold says something like:

"Well, we could try the private sector",

and Dan Aykroyd quickly answers:

"Oh no, not them, they want RESULTS!"
Old 15th February 2012, 10:02 PM   #2417
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
All this reminds oh-so-STRONGLY of that old story:

When the first atronauts went to space, it was discovered that ball point pens will not operate at zero gravity. NASA immediately summoned all its staff on leave, cancelled some of its current projects and reallocated the resources, the current administration immediately passed a bill through congress and senate funding the project with $4 billion. 4 years later, they came out with a novel pen, costing $1,000 per unit, which works.

The Russians used a pencil.
One more similar story: during some international scientific conference they needed to calculate overnight percentage of land and ocean water on the Earth surface. Russian programmer printed globe strips on paper, took scissors, cut prints carefully, and weighted them. Soviet economy was very inertial: they could not give financing before planning. Plans were calculated for each 5 years, for the whole huge country, incuding education, resources, manufacturing, medicine, everything...
But they could give orders to do something "here and now", so engineers and scientists had to be creative in making results without resources.
Old 15th February 2012, 10:45 PM   #2418
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Ohhh those smart "Russians" they have given the world so much ... DVV where are the pics of their moon landings, i must admit , i never saw them ....
Old 15th February 2012, 11:40 PM   #2419
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Luna 2 was a Russian object that landed on the moon almost 10 years before the USA.

Give credit were credit is due. It was the GERMANS who put a man on the moon.

You didn't really think those guys are from Huntsville Alabama did you?

The pretzels and the funny shorts should have been your first clue.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:05 AM   #2420
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
those smart "Russians" have given the world so much
List of Russian composers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shostakovich - Piano Concerto No. 2: II. Andante - YouTube

Hide this!Advertise here!