Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 213 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2012, 02:07 PM   #2121
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I won't say a word about anyone here - not even myself, else I might offend myself!

Yep .... those two are running so much feedback it hurts .......
Old 9th February 2012, 02:37 PM   #2122
diyAudio Member

Tvr, you REALLY need to read 'better books' or take the undergraduate engineering on low noise design. Your speculations just cause confusion.
Like someone before: 'Low Noise Electronic Design' by M&F is a good book for understanding noise in semiconductor devices AND resistors. It is a little dated, but adequate for the task, and apparently cheap on the open market, too. When you are reasonably grounded, you will speculate less.
Old 9th February 2012, 03:09 PM   #2123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
[snip]Don't tell me none of you ever lived through a situation where maths tell you it should be a 4k7 resistor, and your ears tell you a 5k6 resistors sounds a hell of a lot better?[snip].
No, because math doesn't tell what something sounds like. Math can tell you how the freq response looks, or where the filter turnover is. But how it sounds, well, that's your call.

As someelse remarked, a false dichotomy.

jan
Old 9th February 2012, 03:23 PM   #2124
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Right - the design engineer will use heuristics, not math in the process of designing. Math works at the lower level to get certain details correct but can't help actually make design decisions.
Yes. Like, "Let's assume idle current for this stage 1 mA, for next stage 10 mA, for 3'rd stage 100 MA, then calculate precision values of resistors needed"
Old 9th February 2012, 03:34 PM   #2125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
If I wanted "voicing" then I would add tone controls or a Wavebourn "niceness" knob.
You should have it in both cases: when it exists nobody wants to "add euphonic harmonics". Paradox?
Old 9th February 2012, 03:35 PM   #2126
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

But didn't you tell them it was a 'distortion' knob? Very poor marketing!
Old 9th February 2012, 03:41 PM   #2127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
But didn't you tell them it was a 'distortion' knob? Very poor marketing!
I honestly told that it adds low order harmonics. What's wrong with that if some believe people enjoy low order harmonics?
Old 9th February 2012, 04:17 PM   #2128
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Wow........ Niceness knob ....
Old 9th February 2012, 04:22 PM   #2129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Wow........ Niceness knob ....
Yes,. "Niceness" knob for Anti-BS experiment.
Old 9th February 2012, 05:01 PM   #2130
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Default book recommendations

Besides Motchenbacher and Fitchen or M. and Connelly for noise, some other books that can be gotten on the cheap and have a lot of good material:

Arbel, Analog Signal Processing and Instrumentation, 1980, ISBN 0521224691. Emphasis on opamps as building blocks but within that limitation a very good basic groundwork. The author taught in Israel and did work on nuclear science instrumentation, so there is some emphasis there, but the absence of audio shouldn't put one off.

Dunn, Gateways Into Electronics, 2000, 0471254487. Really brilliant if rather high-level introduction to electronics for physicists. I'm in awe of the amount of good material squeezed between its covers. Winifred Hill is also enthusiastic about the book, he the co-author with Horowitz of the famous Art of Electronics, which is also a worthwhile tome with tons of material.

Note that these are not per se audio electronics books. I wish I could recommend more of the latter. The first edition of the Ballou-edited Handbook for Sound Engineers ("The New Audio Cyclopedia") has some good things, particularly Steve Dove's long chapter on consoles, basically a rehash of a famous series of magazine articles he wrote; this was before Steve was seduced by the dark side of the force and more-or-less abandoned the analog domain. Later editions of the book are, how you say, erratic, and repeat material that is absurdly out-of-date (do we need to be reminded about mesa transistors for example?).

Brad

Hide this!Advertise here!