Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 191 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2012, 07:19 PM   #1901
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

The Golden Ratio is [1 + (5^[0.5])]/2, about 1.618 (but an irrational number). It is better and better approximated by the [edit] quotients of the successive terms of the Fibonacci series, where each successive term is the sum of the two preceding ones. By the way, it doesn't matter where you start after a while, although 1 is the typical starting number and another 1 the next (hence 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21...). The series of successive quotients has an unusual distinction in being very slow to converge.

And let's send our donations to Noel, as Monster Cable has just parted ways with Beats by Dr. Dre, and he will have to scrimp and save to get his next Lambo. A marketing guy there quipped that at Monster the headphones are now known as Dead Beats.

Last edited by bcarso; 5th February 2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 5th February 2012, 07:44 PM   #1902
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
But still, I am waiting for someone to suggest how this has anything to do with amplifier circuit design.
(Actually the golden ratio is : 1.618)

That's odd, because I read about you guys discussing odd and even order harmonics, every day.

Heck even the "LOG" volume pot is golden ratio, to account for the exponential air pressure resistance at different SPLs.

The power levels needed are also exponential. Weather or not these correspond with some generally accepted rule of thumb is incidental.
Old 5th February 2012, 07:50 PM   #1903
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
The Golden Ratio is [1 + (5^[0.5])]/2, about 1.618 (but an irrational number). It is better and better approximated by the [edit] quotients of the successive terms of the Fibonacci series, where each successive term is the sum of the two preceding ones. By the way, it doesn't matter where you start after a while, although 1 is the typical starting number and another 1 the next (hence 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21...). The series of successive quotients has an unusual distinction in being very slow to converge.

And let's send our donations to Noel, as Monster Cable has just parted ways with Beats by Dr. Dre, and he will have to scrimp and save to get his next Lambo. A marketing guy there quipped that at Monster the headphones are now known as Dead Beats.
lol

Correct, pick two numbers in the sequence, say 5,8.
5 x 1.61 = 8.05 8.05 x 1.6 = 13.02 13.02 x 1.61 = 21.06 and so on.
Old 5th February 2012, 08:09 PM   #1904
diyAudio Member

I think you are mixing Noel with George Cardas.
However, you also really don't know much about the cable business, as well. Nobody thinks that Noel is serious, anymore, about cables. But at MARKETING, he is a genius!
Old 5th February 2012, 08:29 PM   #1905
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I am, at this very moment, listening to an optimum stranded cable designed by George Cardas, first used by Enid Lumley, and it STILL sounds just fine to me. Beats zip cord, or cheap RS or Monster Cable. Go figure.
Pretty similar thing with me, as well. I am still using van den Hul's Hybrid 352 speaker cable (2x256 strands, silver plated copper with carbon fibre, hence Hybrid), which many people claim does nothing for them. Yet, it sounds just right for me.

Since due to room architecture I need faily long runs (2x6 meters, app. 2x20 ft), I suppose it's much more a matter of current capability of just about all the amps I have at hand and press into service.

At this time, cables are off my radar completely. I'm happy with those I already have.
Old 5th February 2012, 08:52 PM   #1906
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think you are mixing Noel with George Cardas.
However, you also really don't know much about the cable business, as well. Nobody thinks that Noel is serious, anymore, about cables. But at MARKETING, he is a genius!
I think tvr was just using Noel as a convenient and well-known historical example of a cable guy. Cardas has done a pretty decent marketing job on the Golden Section.

Yes, in the annals of marketing the man Lee stands (or in his case sits) alone. My understanding is that, as well, Monster Cable gets a signficant portion of their revenues from payments from people who were foolish enough not to realize that the company has copyrights on the use of Monster in most any way, shape, or form. I used to chuckle when I found that after purchasing the rights to call an SF ballpark Monster Park, most people thought it was after the job search site monster.com. But the latter is probably filling the Monster Cable coffers, along with the payments from hamburger stands and heaven knows what else.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:17 PM   #1907
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
I am, at this very moment, listening to an optimum stranded cable designed by George Cardas, first used by Enid Lumley, and it STILL sounds just fine to me. Beats zip cord, or cheap RS or Monster Cable. Go figure.
How did it measure .....

Monster must still be serious, they showed me their 12K speakers cable set a few months back .

Poor Elliot .....
Old 5th February 2012, 09:19 PM   #1908
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
so Shamam, who the heck was Andrew Jones? I assume a mathematician who was jealous that engineers actually get paid.
There is actually an oxymoron in your sentence.
A good mathematician is good physicist and a good engineer. Sadly it doesn't go the other way around. If you can't see it you're probably an engineer.

Andrew Jones is a physicist who currently works as an engineer.
You can find an interesting interview of Mr. Jones here (part 2 is here).

Concerning your other topic: Golden Ratio

Last edited by TheShaman; 5th February 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:23 PM   #1909
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member

Whenever one start to deal with scientific matters numbers such as pi , e , 1 , -1 or sqrt(-1) deserve more the "magic" quality attribute but i suppose that they are not as easily marketable than a number that is said to be gold made , litteraly when it comes to Audiophili$m...
Old 5th February 2012, 10:57 PM   #1910
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahab View Post
Whenever one start to deal with scientific matters numbers such as pi , e , 1 , -1 or sqrt(-1) deserve more the "magic" quality attribute but i suppose that they are not as easily marketable than a number that is said to be gold made , litteraly when it comes to Audiophili$m...
But the most magic number is zero, certainly for audio. Zero distortion, zero dB variation in FR, zero difference between original and reproduction. We are asymptotically approaching all these zero's, but the logarithmic nature of the auditory system leaves us with endless opportunity to invent further improvements.

vac

Hide this!Advertise here!