Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 140 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2012, 07:42 PM   #1391
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

Amplifier, details of it's design and how it fared in subjective evaluation, the whole Stereophile article is here:

Goldmund Mimesis 8 power amplifier | Stereophile.com

Having heard an Amplifier from this generation (not sure if it was a Mimesis 8 or Mimesis 9 though - I suspect a 9 though) I have to say I liked it by far better than most solid state amplifiers I had the chance to hear. It is one of the few SS Amplifiers I'd be willing to live with.

It way bettered big ML Monoblocks we had for comparison in all areas but it played second fiddle to an open-loop tube amplifier (845 Single Ended), so personally I'd probably take a Kondo Ongaku or Baransu if I could have ANY Amp I liked but only one.

Speakers during this evaluation where quite high efficiency I might add (15" PHL Woofer & 2" Compression Driver/Horn giving around 98dB/W/m), which does play a role.

Ciao T
It appears avg at best on the test bench and sonically. I would suggest the weak sloppy bass was due to the small PSU and miniscule output stage, well vs the rest ...
Old 25th January 2012, 07:54 PM   #1392
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
The HCA1200 was built in Taiwan, very different from mainland China, the factory looks like one might look in Silicon Valley. Don't worry too much, you will just break something.
I shall be respectful.

Yes, the island is very different. I stand corrected.
Old 25th January 2012, 08:08 PM   #1393
diyAudio Member

Your Rotel was probably made in the same factory. '-)
Old 25th January 2012, 08:15 PM   #1394
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
this is probably my preferred subject but I wonder why I imagined that it will turn into anything but few people fighting over personal obsessions.

we're fighting over SS vs tubes, FB vs NFB, PP vs SET but we somehow forget that our auditory system does not care about these but only on the final result.

any, and I repeat ANY discussion about audio is absolutely irrelevant if psychoacoustics are ignored. I wish there were more serious studies on this (correlation of perception with measurements) but my personal research showed that real scientists seem to be uninterested in it.

I'm somehow tired of reading assertions from self-proclaimed gurus when could use science.
Old 25th January 2012, 08:18 PM   #1395
diyAudio Member

PS: I would add that the few designers which are also interested in the way our ear/brain system works seem to consistently deliver good, widely recognized products
Old 25th January 2012, 08:20 PM   #1396
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
The problem is, the final result depends on topology. That means, for different topologies different weak points need to be considered, so proper measurement of them would lead to better final result.
Old 25th January 2012, 08:29 PM   #1397
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
The problem is, the final result depends on topology. That means, for different topologies different weak points need to be considered, so proper measurement of them would lead to better final result.
see? that's exactly what I was talking about.

IMO, this a random assertion. and unless it's backed up by some research it stays that way.

what needs to be studied (and for some reason isn't) is what makes a specific topology sound better.
Old 25th January 2012, 08:33 PM   #1398
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
this is probably my preferred subject but I wonder why I imagined that it will turn into anything but few people fighting over personal obsessions.

we're fighting over SS vs tubes, FB vs NFB, PP vs SET but we somehow forget that our auditory system does not care about these but only on the final result.

any, and I repeat ANY discussion about audio is absolutely irrelevant if psychoacoustics are ignored. I wish there were more serious studies on this (correlation of perception with measurements) but my personal research showed that real scientists seem to be uninterested in it.

I'm somehow tired of reading assertions from self-proclaimed gurus when could use science.
You do realize we are talking about an subjective evaluation of the science, problem is most scientist can't hear . so they discount what they do not understand.

Getting a group of inexperienced listeners together who are easily fooled, rigging the results is not science ...

Just saying ...................

Last edited by a.wayne; 25th January 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 25th January 2012, 08:36 PM   #1399
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Ask before , so i will sneak it in again , why no Hybrids, seems it would be the best compromise between all topologies, so why not more Hybrids...?
Old 25th January 2012, 08:44 PM   #1400
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
You do realize we are talking about an subjective evaluation of the science, problem is most scientist can't hear . so they discount what they do not understand.

Getting a group inexperienced listeners together who are easily fooled, rigging the results is not science ...

Just saying ...................
I totally agree with this.

I've read many papers on various aspects of psychoacoustics. most of the times, nothing is mentioned about: the subjects used (are they trained listeners? are they average listeners? are they young, old, proven to have good hearing etc?), used gear, listening room etc. also, short sound samples are often used (isolated piano, sax you get the idea), while things can largely change with real music. also, many aspects of perception seem to be deliberately ignored (transient portion of notes is ignored, only the steady-state portion is analyzed).
it kinda makes sense, why would a scientist having all the meas at hand (most likely working for a corporation) be interested in something that appeals to a small percentage of the public? well... it's sad.

Hide this!Advertise here!