Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know about the 'audiophile conductor' description. Do find that cable construction can affect sound. Why? One known effect in line level cables is common mode ground current to differential voltage mode conversion. That effect is uncontroversial. For speaker cables, there is a thread going on right now to try to see if transmission line behavior can affect ITD perception: Zip cord for speaker test

Wow. Transmission line effects on 5 meter speaker cables. You must be able to hear
at least 50 MHz.

Thanks, about what I was expecting, nothing else to add; obviously the close-in phase noise affects the sound, while the thermal drift doesn't :rofl:. So much about "the best on the market, competing with Wenzel".

Product buyers, don't forget to wrap your oscillator in layers of bubble wrap, allow a couple of hours warming up before listening to music, and don't forget to suspend it by some rubber strands, to eliminate the earth crust vibrations.

uhm... it looks like "a dangling PCB beats the space grade Wenzel oscillators" (unless the two instruments that measured it are both fake).
I don't think so, we are not professionals and we haven't their resources, but for those who are measurements obsessed it seems so.

And for the "nitpicking engineering types", phase noise only, Allan Deviation is poor.
But if you know how a DAC works you should also known that a slow thermal drift does not affect the digital to analog conversion.
And you also should know that adding an oven is not so difficult (done and tested) but it's a waste of money for audio applications.

I see you have not yet read Rubiola's papers, otherwise you should know that vibrations heavily affect the close in noise and so suspending the oscillator by rubber strands is one of the possible right ways to avoid the problem.
And you also should know that there is no need to wait a couple of hours warming up because an high performance oscillator just doesn't have to be turned off.

Finally, there is a very simple reason why our oscillator measures a little better than the Wenzel one.
When you have read Rubiola's papers carefully you will understand.

Or maybe you can ask Gerhard.

Pf...
Come on, N101N. Be reasonable. This is BS.
Actually, is WRONG.

Actually a perfect vacuum is a dielectric, a better question would be if there are no atoms at all between the wires where is a mechanism for any distortion or loss at all?

I posted a measurement here years ago of the noise caused by the DA of a 50pF mica capacitor (DA is a loss so it must have a noise associated with it). The setup was difficult but not impossible.

De mortuis nil nisi bene, but Pat did his best to be a royal pain to everybody;
the others are OK.

Hi Gerhard,

I have met him in Dallas, he was a very pleasant and helpful person, obviously he was a little different than he was on the forums.

And I think you know that he has had a really difficult life, not to be wished on anyone.
But above all he too was a humble person, just like the others I have mentioned.

I don't know why he was banned from this forum, but I would kindly ask the moderators to re-enable him by writing "R.I.P." in place of "Banned".

Ionmw,
Where is Demian wrong? He is talking about dielectric absorption in wire insulators. That is perfectly valid and affects the signal more as the impedance of the circuit rises.

He is completely wrong. A 100 Meg absorption effect that takes minutes
to come to full bloom in parallel to the milliOhms of the power amplifier...
But if your speaker cable approaches the 100 Meg, you have a problem, obviously.

Actually a perfect vacuum is a dielectric, a better question would be if there are no atoms at all between the wires where is a mechanism for any distortion or loss at all?

I posted a measurement here years ago of the noise caused by the DA of a 50pF mica capacitor (DA is a loss so it must have a noise associated with it). The setup was difficult but not impossible.
Air is dielectric vacuum, plus presence of some atoms, happens to be N2 and O2 molecules. They do not add significant dielectric terms (neither real or complex). These things are tabulated. Read them at NIST for free, or in papers.

There is a distortion mechanism also in vacuum too (read above; this Lorentz electro-mechanical coupling force between conductors). But you will not hear them (is vacuum). Yet, it is a very real one and I agree you can probably measure them. Need simulations? I can help. Works well for 100W speakers.

Air is dielectric vacuum, plus presence of some atoms, happens to be N2 and O2 molecules. They do not add significant dielectric terms (neither real or complex).

Vacuum is not empty. It is full of energetic virtual particles that appear and vanish out of nothing, without violating energy conservation, since they live less than Plank time (or, for the nitpickers, the Heisenberg principle of temporary violation of energy conservation applies). Who knows, if one would fully vacuum a one gallon canister and wait long enough (don't hold your breath, please), he may even get a Big Bang out of it.

It is a well known fact, since Geoff Kait, that these quantum fluctuations interact with the delicate audio signals at quantum level, and the effect is clearly audible. Geoff showed that small pieces of dark matter attached to the canister significantly improved the sound. Go for it, it's not that expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.