Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2013, 09:09 AM   #10011
diyAudio Member

I have always suspected that beyond a certain point all we can reliably hear as amplifier upgrades are PSU improvements . As I said earlier it might be possible to contrive a PSU which is just about able to handle the ripple currents and has some surplus voltage to burn off . Suggestion 2 x 10 000 uF with 10 V over voltage to output dumpers ( class B ) . Smooth supply at - 10 V ( +/- ) for class A amp sections ( LTP VAS ) .

Here is the possible benefit apart from price . The amplifier and PSU could be combined . The track length almost zero at the 0V reference point . I have a hunch that making the dumpers first in line would be best . Then simple regulators to VAS etc . If someone says this is speculation , it is . We throw ideas around as money is the only other solution . Proving that speculation would be very expensive . People buying something is the only way ( Carver ) . Even then a victory of hype over reality is not unknown .

My belief is the big cap PSU's are merely giving cleaner VAS supplies . Somewhere in history the imperatives of the cheap amplifier market have become universal . That is CCRR will do miracles so no need to know about clean VAS supply .

An analogy I would like to put forward . I have often wanted an open formula for push rod engines in formula one . That is if you want 10 litre V12 you can have it . This would be to run against 2.4 litre V8 that will end this season . I know it would be a non starter as the 2.4 litre will outperform it . Weight , size and rev ability . The analogy is that mostly we are building 10 litre V12 's in audio . No harm in it and rather marvelous .

Unless genuinely needing 1000 W 1 ohm on peaks I doubt the energy calculations justify the capacitance often used ( me guilty also ) . A suggestion . Build an amp to my recipe ( over voltage dumpers , class B ) . Have VAS emitter at 0R 16 R 47 R . I suspect the VAS emitter resistance will have more effect on punch than adding 47 000 uF per rail . To repeat myself , I am convinced that the VAS base impedance is the slew sound of amps . The numbers far exceed any real requirements . One way to make an amp sound nicer is VAS emitter resistance . The better one is a high gain VAS transistor . For reasons I don't understand I feel a high gain VAS transistor rivals a Darlington . I am sure the Darlington VAS sounds opaque . Cascode seems better .

I beleive Citroen in the late 1920's said 330 cc was an optimum cylinder size ( He came from Voisin as an aero engineer ? ) . The French had a fiscal horse power tax which favoured long stroke engines ( bore = horse power ) . If my memory is correct the 330 cc was for square bore and stroke . Nearly 100 years later that rule is still about right . Amp PSU's are not as well understood . I come from two families of mechanical engineers . I am not one myself . I have worked with them and have had to run projects . The difference I see is mechanical engineers are use to component failure . Mechanical engineers must not have component failure . It simplifies the tasks . Sadly nothing holds the amplifier designer in check . The mechanical engineer is often struggling to meet a weight limit . Over engineering is a luxury that reality will not allow . What the mechanical engineer looks for is a safety margin . That's what an amplifier designer should be doing . They don't have to build it or sell it . They should know it .

A friend is using an amplifier I designed . The PSU is now 5 times larger . I got very upset when someone wanted to double the components in the amplifier . I think the reason was it would do no harm and allow him some design input ( ? ! ). The owner of the amp firmly said no . They put in some new current mirror designs I had suggested . The irony is , it is a FET amp . 5 times the PSU size will not do what converting to bipolar output stage might . That's what I would have done if wanting more punch . Audio Precission test suit available , still didn't let the obvious be seen . My test gear is mostly home made . It get the same test results . Dvv said I design amps by taking out parts until they stop working . Absolutely correct . However I use a double VAS .

Galactron were imported by Goodman's into the UK I think ? Goodman's were and are excellent engineers . The public image was dowdy . Somehow good engineering seldom is enough .

Last edited by nigel pearson; 14th July 2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 14th July 2013, 10:48 AM   #10012
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

My experience says a Darlington VAS will sound warmer and somehow more powerful than a cascode VAS, but the cascode VAS tends to be somehow cleaner and better defined, with more detail.

Where a cascode VAS beats the pants off almost any other VAS configuration is the fact that it can be configured for exceptionally short settling times very easily, no particular pain, just 2 components (a fast diode and a resistor) over the standard fare. Those two components can shorten the settling time by a factor of 10:1, which is no joke. And if you wonder can we really hear that, the answer is yes, we can, the sound simply becomes better defined without turning into a shriek or some such. Sort of snaps into better focus.
Old 14th July 2013, 12:18 PM   #10013
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

@Tom

The CircuitCalculator.com Blog PCB Trace Resistance Calculator

I get about 12 m-ohm/in for a 2mm trace. With thicker (1 oz) copper, that drops to 6. So for two 1" long traces to the cap, we're somewhere around 12-25 m-ohm.

So, in this case, it seems to be somewhere between us, but a bit closer to you.
Old 14th July 2013, 07:00 PM   #10014
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post

Unless genuinely needing 1000 W 1 ohm on peaks I doubt the energy calculations justify the capacitance often used ( me guilty also ) . A suggestion . Build an amp to my recipe ( over voltage dumpers , class B ) . Have VAS emitter at 0R 16 R 47 R . I suspect the VAS emitter resistance will have more effect on punch than adding 47 000 uF per rail . To repeat myself , I am convinced that the VAS base impedance is the slew sound of amps . The numbers far exceed any real requirements . One way to make an amp sound nicer is VAS emitter resistance . The better one is a high gain VAS transistor . For reasons I don't understand I feel a high gain VAS transistor rivals a Darlington . I am sure the Darlington VAS sounds opaque . Cascode seems better .

Why are you guys always singling me out .......
Old 14th July 2013, 07:43 PM   #10015
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Why are you guys always singling me out .......
No way am I . It is like having a 155 MPH car . It gives confidence . When forced to have 110 MPH make if feel like it would be 155 . Mine is like that . The engine is good for that . I have the base model and is limited . A simple remap and it will go from 90 to 168 BHP . Mine was higher . As I service it myself the computer defaults to standard mode if not having the computer reboot link . I still have the confidence it is there for the asking . My mate has a full mapped engine .

I am tempted to draw my minimal PSU concept just in case it wasn't understood . Looking at TO3 I would hook my 10 000 uF directly to the collectors using a conductive plate cum heat sink to maximize conductivity . The spare cap terminals to the ground plane directly ( GP ) . A single rectifier bridge to each collector on the heat sink . The spare terminal to the GP . This is to minimize losses ( one rectifier would be OK , two is easier ) . A dropper resistor to the next stage with capacitor and perhaps zener ( VAS ) . The TO3's 10 V higher than VAS . The 10 000 uf arranged at 90 degrees to minimize heat pick up . I would predict the amp would be a kicker and super sweet . The transformer wires would be usual length going almost directly to the TO3's . The TO3 terminal it's shape and extended for soldering . The 1 ohm stuff is possible if the caps can take it . 22 000 uF might still work . My speakers are 4 ohms on a good day . I often hear the current limiters working ( nothing nasty , just a gulp ) .

If the heat sink is internal and split it will be a conductor in both senses .

About ground planes . Is it true if of low resistance no need to do anything else ? I guess PSU , and speakers close to the rectifier end ? Signal in as far away as possible ? To stress it would have no star or bus-bar ground .

Last edited by nigel pearson; 14th July 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 14th July 2013, 07:52 PM   #10016
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
My experience says a Darlington VAS will sound warmer and somehow more powerful than a cascode VAS, but the cascode VAS tends to be somehow cleaner and better defined, with more detail.

Where a cascode VAS beats the pants off almost any other VAS configuration is the fact that it can be configured for exceptionally short settling times very easily, no particular pain, just 2 components (a fast diode and a resistor) over the standard fare. Those two components can shorten the settling time by a factor of 10:1, which is no joke. And if you wonder can we really hear that, the answer is yes, we can, the sound simply becomes better defined without turning into a shriek or some such. Sort of snaps into better focus.

Great point . Another is we get a dream transistor at low cost and using plentiful parts . I built a transistor valve cascode after loosing faith in all valve cascodes . It was incredible ( BC 550 C + ECC 82 I think ? ) . I didn't use it as the guys wouldn't like it . I used a pentode . The cascode said what I needed .
Old 14th July 2013, 07:52 PM   #10017
diyAudio Member

please , 1000W@1ohm peak works for me , feel free to discuss ....
Old 14th July 2013, 08:17 PM   #10018
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

The Current Surfer speaketh ...
Old 14th July 2013, 08:52 PM   #10019
diyAudio Member

I was very surprised to find there is no practical use in going above 10 000 uF . If wanting a big amp I would use 6 x 10 000 uF offering 30 A ripple current .

This component seems optimum . 100 V devices fit my most interesting model . Often 100 V devices sound faster and less dark . The dialectic is better to resit flash-over .
ALS30A103KE100 - BHC COMPONENTS - CAPACITOR, 10000UF, 100V | Farnell United Kingdom
Old 14th July 2013, 09:26 PM   #10020
diyAudio Member

Not by Tom's calculations , 200K would be a min .......

Hide this!Advertise here!