Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2013, 04:31 AM   #10001
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Wilson Audio Announces Wilson Audiophile Recording - YouTube

You want to have these recordings , get inline gents.....
Old 14th July 2013, 04:40 AM   #10002
diyAudio Member

ABX Stalwarts ...........hold tight ...

Golden Ear Audiophiles - Can you really hear the difference? - YouTube
Old 14th July 2013, 05:15 AM   #10003
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes ... on first listen, at the relatively low quality level of YouTube video sound used there is a "nicer" sound to one instrument, so that must be the 'good' one -- right?
Old 14th July 2013, 05:20 AM   #10004
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
My Perreaux 2150B was easily the weakest amplifier i have ever owned , bar none ...
'nuff said ...

It has voltage drive, but lacks high current capabilities: use it on a Klipsch, and you'll blow your eardrums ...
Old 14th July 2013, 05:37 AM   #10005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So many ways ...

Anyway, my experiment going the whole way with an ultra low impedance supply with a 'miserable' NS chip amp proved the point to me. A visitor brought a CD of the Papa Doo Run Run tribute band doing a Beach Boys number, where the bass drum had a biting crack and kick that knocked you backwards every time, just from this tiny IC ...

Last edited by fas42; 14th July 2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 14th July 2013, 05:46 AM   #10006
diyAudio Member

Howwwws dat ....

A bit of sticky wicket the other night Frank, you guys got the umpire yet ..

Old 14th July 2013, 06:13 AM   #10007
diyAudio Member

Hey, it's not over until the ...

We just need 'agar The 'orrible to come good again, the gods to smile upon us, etc, ...
Old 14th July 2013, 07:16 AM   #10008
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Frank, all your writing here begs a question, I'm just curious: have you noticed how Sony tends to do large PSUs?

They throw in two large value caps, like 15,000 uF and upwards, but they also add same type, same make say 4,700 uF in parallel. Appearently, they believe large caps filter better but are slow, while smaller value caps don't filter as well but are faster. They have been doing that for at least 25 years now.

Another, more involved, approach is what I saw in an Italian amp, by their well know local company Galactron, in cicrca 1979 or so. They had a central filtering reservoir consisting of two 10,000 uF caps un parallel for each line, and then added 4,700 uF caps about 5 mm at most away from the output devices themselves.

This intrigued me, so in the artwork of the amp I am doing now space and place was provided for 2,200 uF caps also next to each output device. I just had to try it.
Old 14th July 2013, 07:51 AM   #10009
diyAudio Member

A very simplistic viewpoint is to see the big value cap as providing the energy reserve to handle bass notes without the rail sagging too much, while the smaller unit provides the current transient on a "fast", high slew rate part of the waveform. Big caps have effectively relatively poor ESL and ESR, they're not happy being asked to "move fast".

Yes, the Galactron approach is spot on - as a subjective indication, that should give you relatively tight, "fast" bass ...

Last edited by fas42; 14th July 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 14th July 2013, 08:57 AM   #10010
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Actually, I think it's an honest attempt to get the best of both worlds. The big reservoir will filter well, the smaller caps will deliver about 2 Amps peak (using 2,200 uF caps) each almost instantaneously on demand.

Initially, I will try my default capacitor values and manufacturer, German made Fisher & Tausche, but I will also try others as well. The initial value for the central reservoir will be 2 10,000 uF caps in parallel for each power supply line, separate for each channel, so a total of 80,000 uF centrally, plus 6,600 uF per line locally (3 pairs of output trannies per channel, for a grand total of 53,200 uF per channel, or 106,400 uF for the whole stereo version.

I do expect good results, however I am also prepared in advance to have many a discussion with Nige, which might result in improvements over my initial setup. I certainly hope so and am very much open to suggestions. When the first working prototype is sitting on my table, I'll post the whole shebang here, so everyone can have a go.

And while I may appear to be firmly stuck to F&T caps, and while it true that I dearly love them, I am NOT vitally attached to them, nor am I a Japanese hater. My Philips HA 370 ("Black Tulip") power amp, rated at 60 WRMS per side, originally had two Nippon Chemcon caps rated at 6,800 uF/50V. They were 30 years old, and were replaced after some trial and error by two 12,000 uF/71V Nichicon Golden Tune caps. Thank God Philips made the rectifier way more powerful than really needed, but that's what most reputable companies did in 1981.

And Frank? That "very simplistic" viewpoint actually does work that way, I tried it before. Let the darn thing breathe and it will work better.

Hide this!Advertise here!