diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   Astrology - what a whopping great load of rubbish. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/20064-astrology-what-whopping-great-load-rubbish.html)

Circlotron 10th September 2003 01:01 PM

Astrology - what a whopping great load of rubbish.

Those old geezers among us that were listening to music even in the late 60's, would well remember that song "Age of Aquarius" from the musical show Hair. The words of the same were heralding the coming of that Age, which I am fairly sure was to be January 2000. The age beginning 01/01/2000 was touted to be filled with all kinds of wonderful things, as several lines and words from the song, with capital letters removed and commas inserted to make it ordinary speech rather than copyrighted I.P. (Intellectual property?!?! HAH! But that's another joke for another day.) :rolleyes:

...then peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars, this is the dawning of the age of Aquarius... harmony and understanding, sympathy and trust abounding, no more falsehoods or derisions etc etc

Well then, is that new-age nonsense a reliable guide to just how the real world actually turned out?

Other people are entitled to think what they like of course, and perhaps publicly state it too, but I am waiting for the day when people will finally realise that there are actually such things as absolute right and wrong, correct and incorrect. That these don't change according to mean, averaged, generalised, overall whim of whatever a certain vocal group of people what to assert at any particular time.

Star Trek's Scotty got it right when he said "Ah canna chenge the laws of physics, Cap'n". Some things are just plain right and wrong. Get over it.

/Circlotron - quickly looks for his flame-proof shelter.

dhaen 10th September 2003 01:05 PM

Lost his lawnmower......

Hey, who rocked your cradle?;)

I can't imagine too many objectors to your feelings on this forum.........or can I?

Cheers,

Circlotron 10th September 2003 01:28 PM

Let me make the suggestion, then, that the effectiveness of one's new *magic power cord* is determined by the month of it's manufacture. And if you don't synergistically correlate that date with the colour of your speaker wires then you may as well give up. :rolleyes:

GRRR :redhot: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

ThorstenL 10th September 2003 02:14 PM

Ignorance is Strength

Konnichiwa,

Quote:

Originally posted by Circlotron
Those old geezers among us that were listening to music even in the late 60's, would well remember that song "Age of Aquarius" from the musical show Hair. The words of the same were heralding the coming of that Age, which I am fairly sure was to be January 2000. The age beginning 01/01/2000 was touted to be filled with all kinds of wonderful things, as several lines and words from the song, with capital letters removed and commas inserted to make it ordinary speech rather than copyrighted I.P. (Intellectual property?!?! HAH! But that's another joke for another day.) :rolleyes:
Well, ignoring what charlatans, wannabe's, flase prophets and the press tauts, we are indeed still in the Age of Pices, though it's winding down. PROPER ASTROLOGY (which is very much a real, reputable science) places the beginning of the Age of Aquarius to around 2070..2080 and I'd bet my bottom Dollar NOT in Jannuary.

So indeed, the trials and tribulations at the end of an age are still going on and will contine on...

As to AstroLogia, it is based on a principle (which is now often considered Hermetic in nature, which it may be considerably more antique however, assigned to the old Egyptian Toth [who was later elevated to a Deity by his descedents]) that is both simple and complex:

"That which is above is like that which is below and that which is below is like that which is above, to achieve the wonders of the one thing."

If one looks (for example) at the various AstroLogical Constellations for both the actual Birthday of YsHVH and his Baptism by John (corrected for calendar reforms etc of course) it becomes clear that in both cases the MOST EXTRAORDINARY things where to be expected from this person.

I would not be so rash to simply discount Astrology out of hand (or Feng Shui BTW) simply because most that claim to "practice" these most ancient Art's and Craft's are charlatans any more than I would Christ (YsHVH) simply because so far not a SINGLE ONE Xtian group known to me is NOT GUILTY of: "having shut up the kingdom of the heavens before men (and having thrown away the KEYS in the scripture for good measure!!!) . Not only do they not go in, neither do they permit those on their way to going in." (paraphrased from Mt 23:13)

I would recommend to first investigate a subject before making claims about it's relevance and even then it is often better to merely express some guarded scepticism.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Hamlet Act i Sc. 5.

Sayonara

phase_accurate 10th September 2003 02:19 PM

Don't forget that the insulation has to be made out of pure silk, spun by Japanese virgins. This has to happen at midnight during full moon of course.
A further significant improvement can be achieved by soaking the whole arrangement with some kind od rare liquid like civil servant's sweat. ;)

Regards

Charles

SY 10th September 2003 04:52 PM

Quote:

I am waiting for the day when people will finally realise that there are actually such things as absolute right and wrong, correct and incorrect
That will not ever happen as long as people are human.

dhaen 10th September 2003 05:36 PM

Self perpetuation...

Of course if some people believe in it, their behaviour will change as a result of the "predictions". This will affect those who don't believe.

We're all doomed!

Da5id4Vz 10th September 2003 05:41 PM

Feng Shui

Quote:

And if you don't synergistically correlate that date with the colour of your speaker wires then you may as well give up
Psycho-acoustic Feng Shui,
Perhaps this is the brave new world in high-end audio. Balancing the energy of the your environment with the perceived performance of your audio equipment.

Sounds a lot like the process of convincing my wife why we need new speakers.

-Dave

Do Tang Bands have positive or negative feng shui? Everyone have fun to night, everyone Wang Chung tonight.

paulb 10th September 2003 06:06 PM

PROPER ASTROLOGY is very much a real, reputable science?

It's pretty easy to find evidence for anything after the fact. The September 11 terrorist attacks were predicted in Revelations, right? Or so I've been told.
I'm still planning to put a picture of my amplifier in the freezer, 'cause it will improve the sound.

SY 10th September 2003 06:09 PM

Quote:

I'm still planning to put a picture of my amplifier in the freezer, 'cause it will improve the sound.
I tried it. It didn't work. The freezer sounded exactly the same, before and after the picture was put in it. I'm next going to try putting a picture of the freezer inside my amp and listen for the effect. This is what we call Science and Progress.