CAPITALIZATION or not... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2011, 10:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CAPITALIZATION or not...

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art of capitalization. For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement...

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that?

John L.
Old 7th November 2011, 11:03 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, and a bit of punctuation can be useful too. Before anyone screams about English as a second language, the worst offenders are always people with English as their first language. On another forum where I may be found, there was a poster who routinely used comma (,) instead of apostrophe (') (and not always in the right places either) and also never left a space after a full stop. His posts were very difficult to read.

Why don't we show the world what a great language we have, by using it properly ourselves? In parallel with that, we can be very patient with those for whom it is a second or third language. If only some of us took the trouble they do, to express themselves clearly.

(DF96 now ducks behind a wall, in expectation of incoming fire)
Old 7th November 2011, 11:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The art of using the rules of capitalization, punctuation, grammar and spelling to clearly communicate one's thoughts in writing seems to be rapidly passing into history. The flat and run-on style of texts and tweets has spread into fora like this one, where the content is often more complex and needing more clarity.

On the other hand I am more often impressed and somewhat humbled by the posters here whose first language is not English. Compared to what I would be able to do in any other language, most of them manage to make their points clearly and often with humor as a bonus.
Old 7th November 2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I don't disagree that good punctuation aids reading comprehension, but forums are a casual place. We don't use the same degree of spoken precision and formality in casual conversation as we do when addressing the annual shareholders meeting.

Text messages and short forum posts can stand to be pretty loose. The mini-tomes that some people post here could use better punctuation and formating. There are several long time, frequently posting forum denizens here who need editing.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:03 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Any post which requires scrolling to read in its entirety is, prima facie, badly in need of editing.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:04 PM   #6
TerryO is online now TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I don't disagree that good punctuation aids reading comprehension, but forums are a casual place. We don't use the same degree of spoken precision and formality in casual conversation as we do when addressing the annual shareholders meeting.

Text messages and short forum posts can stand to be pretty loose. The mini-tomes that some people post here could use better punctuation and formating. There are several long time, frequently posting forum denizens here who need editing.
Oh Thanks!
Old 7th November 2011, 12:20 PM   #7
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Clarity is the main issue. I am not arguing for everything to be in formal technical English, but something better than the written equivalent of a teenager's grunt or a hippy's "whatever" would assist communication.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As true for the forum as it is for conversation.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I am an ESLer.
I stopped responding to these "lazy" posts long ago. If they can't be bothered to not write in text, I can't be bothered to respond
cuz im lazy
Old 7th November 2011, 12:47 PM   #10
kvholio is offline kvholio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

As long as someone is able to get his point across without
making my head hurt when trying to read his post, i'm okay with it.
There are people who have great difficulties in using correct grammar,
i consider myself fairly lucky in this department.

English is my third language and it probably shows,
if there are people who are bothered with that i kindly invite them
to learn my first language.

What makes me lose interest quickly is a big lump of text without any formatting, one sentence written after the other without ever hitting the Enter-button.
Unless the subject really interests me, i simply don't read those posts.

Hide this!Advertise here!