I thought DIYAUDIO was "apolitical"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
then howcum it takes money from the groups supporting the repeal of a Senate Bill 2 in Ohio?

link to this ad appears in the banner at the top of the page:

Vote NO on Issue 2!

Attachments

• SB2.gif
    SB2.gif
    179.7 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't see the same ads as you. (That is when I choose not to block them.) While I am not sure I suspect this has something to do with the way Google ads serves ads based on IP addresses and the like. It may also be that political adverts are protected speech under U.S. law - just speculating, but I know that being on the do not call list (home phone) that I cannot block political messages, perhaps something similar applies to Google..

I suspect Google ads that target IP. I get Royal Bank ads

The ads seem to be related to location based on IP address. I work in South Florida but the companies proxy server is in Chicago so I get ads for Chicago based companies at work.

I have also noticed something a bit more sinister. Google ads seem to be targeted toward things, places, or companies that I have recently searched using Google. In some cases they can see searches within companies like Newegg. I will get ads from Newegg featuring products that I recently searched for using Neweggs own search engine. I have also received ads from Amazon for CD's from bands that I have Googled. Watching a Youtube video that was found through a Google search will trigger an ad, but using Youtube's search engine does not.

I am using IE on a Windoze Vista box. Flushing the cache, history and cookies will force the ads to revert back to the generic ones.

It's getting creepy out there. FaceBook and twitter are now, admittedly, being scanned indexed, and data based by homeland security. Facial recognition software is being installed on said websites to visually identify people in the future and also tied to a common database with traffic and street cameras. Cell phones can be remotely turned on without owners knowledge and audio and location may be monitored, tracked, and recorded, George Orwell would be proud and Adolph would have been in love with the new technology.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.