diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   Stackability of shipping containers...? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/198407-stackability-shipping-containers.html)

Jonathan Bright 12th October 2011 10:40 PM

Stackability of shipping containers...?

There is a container-ship in trouble off the NZ coast and it has at least seven layers of containers stacked vertically on its deck. I have occasionally wondered just how many of these boxes can be safely stacked? I understand that these are filled i.e. heavier than empty ones. Totally trivial I know. Just curious. Anyone got any idea?

Jonathan

aardvarkash10 12th October 2011 11:31 PM

specified on the container. Depends on the weight (full or empty). Google "Intermodal Container"

jacco vermeulen 12th October 2011 11:41 PM

Used to be 7 full, 9 empty for a TEU.
(not sure how many empties are allowed to be stacked in the latest generation containerships)

Jonathan Bright 12th October 2011 11:52 PM

Thanks Guys: appreciated.
Jonathan

jacco vermeulen 13th October 2011 12:03 AM

No problem.

The number depends on the weight, (wind) gale force and rolling of the vessel, it's basically the twist locks that determine the max stack number.
Later generation container vessels have cell guide rails sticking out above the deck, translates to a higher location twist lock which encounters the highest load. (the 9 empty is for restricted areas/conditions)

Sea containers can be stacked higher on land (no movement, you know), up to 12 high.

DF96 13th October 2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Sea containers can be stacked higher on land (no movement, you know)
Some people in Japan and Christchurch might beg to differ!

The thing about container ships which looks strange to me is that they seem very top-heavy. I assume there is a lot of concrete (or depleted uranium?) in the keel.

jacco vermeulen 13th October 2011 11:32 AM

Fuel (HFO) or ballast water.
Stability of container vessels is not such an issue (due to weight), a loaded TEU still is relatively light at <30lbs/ft3
Stacking them in an optimal sequence/spread, and keep in line with stability criteria, is trickier. (couple of my class mates graduated on development of container loading/unloading software)

DF96 13th October 2011 01:05 PM

Yes, of course, I forgot about ballast water. That is what propagates alien marine species around the world into new ecosystems where they have no predators. After all, water is just water, isn't it?

PeteMcK 14th October 2011 01:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
now that's what I call stackablility....

TheBaronGroog 18th October 2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteMcK (Post 2745137)
now that's what I call stackablility....

I like your sig, one of my favourite quotes is also water/fish related:

"I don't drink water, fishes F$%K in it" Oscar Wilde, when asked if he wanted water in his whisky