Chatroom on diyaudio.com

Should we have a chat room here on diyaudio?

• Yes, open to all registered members.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No, no need for a chat room.

• Yes, for Enthusiast Level or up.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Not sure if it would add to the site.

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi, I would like to get everyone's opinion on the idea of having a chat room on diyaudio. To be honest I got the idea from other sites, like audiokarma, and I really would like to see it here.
I think it would be nice to have the ability to chat with other members here on the site, talk a little gossip, get some input or opinions or just hang out while browsing the forums.

It may have up- and downsides and it would certainly add to server traffic, but still, I believe it would be a nice feature.

Personally, the idea sounds good but it will get political, vulgar and what not every once in a while....beside.. Waitng for post replies gives plenty of times for soldering or for the pros, calculating room treatment and applying the big bang theory to my useless furutech RE-9(only teasing)...
Live chat could be very useful but I am sure members in need have taken it on yahoo messenger, facebook and such...
No point bothering the administrators too much or we'll all have to end up paying an admission fee while watching ads about french fries while the pages are loading..

Just my piece....

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe not a chatroom per se, I think that could detract from the normal threads (or peoples diy time) becoming a real time waster. But I think that an IM facility could be useful. That could allow one on one or even a few people by invite to have a chat in real time, would largely serve the same purpose but as it is by invite rather than omnipresent it is less likely to have the issues mentioned already :)

Tony.

And who will be the censorship?
There's this ancient tool called IRC that anyone (who can install an IRC client) can use (there are even web interfaces for IRC, but they don't work as well - even "regular" web-based chats don't work as well as IRC and real IRC clients) ... anyone can use. Pick a server, join #diyaudio and tell others you're there. Or something like that.

As it would be completely separate from the site, there would be no censorship.

Or do people WANT cennsorship?
Hazard?

It's just words.

What's the hazard?

se
That's the way I see it, but many people are delicate flowers.
Not me, I got deflowered on Usenet.

There's this ancient tool called IRC that anyone (who can install an IRC client) can use (there are even web interfaces for IRC, but they don't work as well - even "regular" web-based chats don't work as well as IRC and real IRC clients) ... anyone can use. Pick a server, join #diyaudio and tell others you're there. Or something like that.

As it would be completely separate from the site, there would be no censorship.

IRC would be nice except for two things:

First, unless diyAudio ran its own server, you'd have to set it up on some other IRC network and unless it was a rather small one with a single server, you have to put up with net splits which is something I've always disliked about IRC.

Second, you'd be surprised how few people want to bother installing and setting up an IRC client. There are some web-based clients, but the last time I looked into them, they generally sucked.

Personally I think a dedicated web-based chat system would likely serve better.

Not me, I got deflowered on Usenet.

Ouch! Man, that was back before they used lubricants. :D

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.