Big Brother was a piker... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2011, 02:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Big Brother was a piker...

Things have gotten absolutely absurd. I was just turned away by the Utah State DMV unable to renew my expired drivers license due to insufficient documentation. I had with me:
1. My expired State Photo drivers license. (Bearing my full SS#)
2. A valid US Passport (Photo bearing).
3. A laminated state health department issued birth certificate card issued for the specific purpose of ID but for some reason no longer valid for such.
4. A State vehicle registration renewal card sent by the DMV to my new address.
5. A State 1099 form from unemployment sent to my new address and showing the last four digits of my SS#.
6. A current automobile insurance certificate clearly listing my new address.

I was turned away because I have to possess a government copy of my Social Security card and a full sized state issued birth certificate. They would also preffer that I had recent utility bills addressed to my new address... good luck with that; I have no utilities connected to my new address. None!

My photo is on record with the DMV. I had a valid passport with me. WTF?

DOC
Old 1st September 2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Even bureaucrats can be idiots.
Old 1st September 2011, 02:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Welcome to life post 9/11.

I was planning a trip to Canada a while ago.They wanted me to have "OVER 9000" different forms of ID in order to let me back into the US -*In addition to* my passport.

Odd,since I had to show all sorts of ID,fingerprints,etc. to get the passport in the first place! Isn't that the POINT of a passport?

*shakes head*

Don't even get me started on the DMV. They don't know their *** from a hole in the ground.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:26 AM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I thought it was only in Europe we have this sort of nonsense. Completely barmy, because bad people intending us harm are mainly interested in hiding their intentions rather than their identities.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:14 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's a state by state deal. Here in Texas, all I needed was my passport (in lieu of my certified birth certificate) and California driver's license. FWIW, I still have my student ID card from University of Utah!

None of this nonsense will actually stop any bad guys, but everyone will at least know that Big Brother is concerned. I'll stop there before I get political.
Old 1st September 2011, 01:45 PM   #6
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

And to renew in Texas all you need is your old DL and proof of insurance...

They try real hard in this state to make up for the summer weather.

John
Old 1st September 2011, 02:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have a "vintage" SS card from when I got for my first job (when Kennedy was Prez!) -- it says right on it "Not for Identification"!

I wonder if I can use my Millburn Pool card.

Article in the NYTimes this week said that SS Cards for kids are most problematic for identity theft. If you have a credit history, employment history it's much more difficult to fake than a recently minted child.
Old 1st September 2011, 02:13 PM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

India is working very hard on the ID problem. See Aadhaar. Soon to be the largest database on Earth. Biometrics on 1.2 billion citizens. All you'll need is your eyes and your fingertips.
Old 1st September 2011, 07:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Oh I've got a pretty good idea what is going on here. Utah lawmakers bought into the every slip of paper we can force on the puplic routine for the specific reason of raising more revenue. That full copy of birth certificate puts an extra $18 in the state coffers for every driver who has lost theirs and is up for renewal.
Utah legislature doesn't miss many tricks like that. I was born and raised here so I've seen it all my life save my 10yr hiatus to Silicon Valley. It just gets old at times. But I did fire off pretty much the same post to my senator, congressman, govenor and local non-party line newspaper. Just to register the fact that I was peeved.

Doc
Old 1st September 2011, 07:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalJunkie View Post
Welcome to life post 9/11.

I was planning a trip to Canada a while ago.They wanted me to have "OVER 9000" different forms of ID in order to let me back into the US -*In addition to* my passport.

Odd,since I had to show all sorts of ID,fingerprints,etc. to get the passport in the first place! Isn't that the POINT of a passport?

*shakes head*
The 'They' was US Border authorities, I assume.
Strange- I've never been asked for anything but my passport to enter the US, and I'm an 'alien' to y'all.

Hide this!Advertise here!