diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   The speed of light is NOT constant (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/195674-speed-light-not-constant.html)

7n7is 31st August 2011 02:27 PM

The speed of light is NOT constant

The speed of light is NOT constant.

I will now prove this using logical and anthropic scientific methods.

Since it is impossible to get absolutely accurate measurements of anything, ie. there will always be errors when using real world instruments, the speed of light cannot be proven to be constant. Since the speed of light can't be proven to be constant, using anthropic principles, the lack of observable constancy of the speed of light means it does not exist. Therefore the speed of light is not constant.

For more information see Kant, Immanuel: Metaphysics[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

jlsem 31st August 2011 02:35 PM

It seems constant to me.

John

bear 31st August 2011 02:57 PM

You do not have a proof - you merely have a hypothesis, one that is based on a type of logic that is more or less chasing its tail.

I am saying nothing about light, which may or may not be constant. Imo, light is illogical and shows us something about where we are and the space around us, but this something is beyond our ability to directly fathom or observe.

We are about as baffled as a dog trying to understand a stereo system... maybe more so.

_-_-bear

bbggg 31st August 2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7n7is (Post 2692544)
The speed of light is NOT constant

Well, it's not, and all it takes to show this is some glass. Glass actually slows light down. That's how lenses work. Metals slow it down considerably, you will be surprised at how slowly an electromagnetic field may propagate in a metal. Now don't let any of this put you off, although it may be a good idea to move to West Virginia while waiting for that phone call from Stockholm.

Nis 31st August 2011 03:53 PM

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

bbggg 31st August 2011 04:29 PM

Actually Kant did walk through all seven bridges of Koenigsberg, but two were bombed in WWII and all proof is now lost forever.

norture 31st August 2011 04:39 PM

CMIIW, but the measured speed of light as it is currently known is constant only in vacuum.

martinbls 31st August 2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nis (Post 2692644)
Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

That's exactly the point!
Perhaps one can say "It has not been proven to be constant" rather than "It IS not constant".

7n7is 31st August 2011 05:56 PM

Note that I used to same reasoning as those who argue that there is no aether or transmitting medium of light. They assume its completely undetectable and claim it doesn't exist, in spite of the results of Dayton C. Miller and also the results of stellar aberration experiments with binary stars.

DF96 31st August 2011 05:57 PM

I'm not sure what you are claiming. Speed of light not constant in what sense? Are you saying it varies with time, or with the speed of the light emitter? There is some possible weak evidence for the former, and clear experimental evidence against the latter. It is the latter which would disagree with modern relativistic physics, so I assume it is the latter which you are claiming.

Special relativity underlies GPS, the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and the whole of nuclear and particle physics. You really can't just say that this is all wrong, and offer only woffle as evidence.