Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 27th February 2012, 11:08 PM   #511
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWW View Post
We have evolved to eat cooked food because it makes for more efficient digestion of energy producing material and of other nutrients. That's why roasted and smoked meat tastes good.

.................................................. ........................

How "bad" it might be for you probably depends on processing and cooking temperatures..... WAG
Ha! The USA has marvelous resources including the USDA and all those wonderful aggie u's. Here you go Wavebourne:

Nitrite in Meat

Old 27th February 2012, 11:11 PM   #512
diyAudio Member

Joe, Gravity bends space, gravity does not bend light rays. It looks like light travels in a curve, but really light is still travelling in a straight line.
Gravity doesn't really slow light down... better way to think about it is that Gravity slows time down. Large gravitational field = slower time than if you were in a small gravitational field. An extreme case; a black hole; in a sense time ceases to exist beyond the even horizon (from our point of view) so we never see anything really go across an event horizon, it just gets more and more red shifted. Whilst from the photons point of view it really does cross the even horizon travelling at the speed of light. So signals beyond the even horizon are out of causal contact with us.

Gravitational red shift is a consequence of this time dilation. Whilst the red shift is what we see, we must take into account the conditions of the observer, once you do this, the real cause is that time dilation takes place when changing gravitational potential, this changes the wavelength of the light.

Old 27th February 2012, 11:19 PM   #513
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
This is also my (non-physicist) understanding. Light follows the geodesic. Red shifts are the consequence of the light from moving objects relative to the observer not changing velocity.
Nope. Speed of light is constant C. In glass (or other materials) the light is getting absorbed and emission again and again by particles that caused the time gap - refraction - however speed of light in between of particles is C.

In case you affect energy of light (gravity field for example) it does not affect the speed of light but change the wave length of light instead (color shift).

less energy - longer wavelength (red shift)
more energy - shorter wave (blue shift)

Speed of gravity is infinity fast that was by sir Isaac Newton. No one have proved the opposite yet.

Albert Einstein assumption speed of gravity is equal to C. No one have proved it yet.

Old 27th February 2012, 11:35 PM   #514
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Report yesterday on the neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light. They found a bad connection in a fiber cable on the GPS link slowing the clock. When corrected, the neutrinos traveled at.... ta-da... the speed of light. The world of classical physics is still safe.

Old 27th February 2012, 11:43 PM   #515
diyAudio Member

I think what you're getting at SY is sound waves, but I didn't quite understand how you were saying it. For light rays there are various ways to get red shifts, time dilation, space expansion... erm, any more guys?

Say the sun instantly disappeared, we would only notice this visually ~7 mins later. As for when we would be killed by the resulting change in momentum... who's to say, but I think the consensus is that it would happen at the same time as we noticed it visually disappearing. This is consistent with the prediction that gravity waves travel at the speed of light. Some models of inflation assume that space expanded at the speed C in the early universe... but others say that space can expand much faster than C.. someone more knowledgeable on inflation may need to chip in on that one.

Old 27th February 2012, 11:46 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWW View Post
Ha! The USA has marvelous resources including the USDA and all those wonderful aggie u's. Here you go Wavebourne:

Nitrite in Meat
Here you go, scientists VS reporters:

Quote:
It has been reported that people normally consume more nitrates from their vegetable intake than from the cured meat products they eat. Spinach, beets, radishes, celery, and cabbages are among the vegetables that generally contain very high concentrations of nitrates (J. Food Sci., 52:1632). The nitrate content of vegetables is affected by maturity, soil conditions, fertilizer, variety, etc. It has been estimated that 10 percent of the human exposure to nitrite in the digestive tract comes from cured meats and 90 percent comes from vegetables and other sources. Nitrates can be reduced to nitrites by certain microorganisms present in foods and in the gastrointestinal tract. This has resulted in nitrite toxicity in infants fed vegetables with a high nitrate level. No evidence currently exists implicating nitrite itself as a carcinogen.

To obtain 22 milligrams of sodium nitrite per kilogram of body weight (a lethal dose), a 154-pound adult would have to consume, at once, 18.57 pounds of cured meat product containing 200 ppm sodium nitrite (because nitrite is rapidly converted to nitric oxide during the curing process, the 18.57 pound figure should be tripled at least). Even if a person could eat that amount of cured meat, salt, not nitrite, probably would be the toxic factor.

Old 27th February 2012, 11:48 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
This is also my (non-physicist) understanding. Light follows the geodesic. Red shifts are the consequence of the light from moving objects relative to the observer not changing velocity.
Stuart, it reminds me Sound Quantity and Quality thread.

Old 27th February 2012, 11:51 PM   #518
diyAudio Member

tvrgeek, i'm not surprised... if we really did discover faster than light travel, i suspect it would be a little more impressive than a tiny tiny tiny minuscule fraction faster! the world of classical physics was always safe though - there are ways it could have been worked around and fitted in alongside what we have already if it was shown to be a true phenomena. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if there are particles of some sort that could exceed c. Why should we assume we can see everything that goes on in the universe?

Old 28th February 2012, 12:53 AM   #519
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Now if we can only explain spooky action at a distance. ( Quantum entanglement) I don't like the current explanation. Nature tends not to be that complicated.

The Doppler effect ( red shift) is immensely powerful. So powerful it can make county police cars slow to the speed limit when passing school zone camera speed traps.

Old 28th February 2012, 01:12 AM   #520
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Here you go, scientists VS reporters:

How does that Japanese hot dog eating fellow do it?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!