The speed of light is NOT constant - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 9th September 2011, 09:39 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Interesting.

You add some names of some people that may or may not have studied the matter, including more writing than I'm likely to read, and I have no choice but to grunt and carry on.
Because they have a website, doesn't mean they have to be right - it's a basic appeal to authority. That much I can see.

Think I'll just sit in the background again, there are people here much cleverer than I.

PS - light, whether it's speed in a vacuum is constant or not, is still far too fast. Much faster than anyone could ever truly comprehend.

Last edited by chris661; 9th September 2011 at 09:43 PM.

Old 10th September 2011, 01:22 PM   #42
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Where did you get your doctorate? Maybe a list of four or five peer-reviewed publications?
Like Einstein, I was a patent examiner. I don't think he was a PhD when he wrote his famous 1905 article. Also, if I criticized Einstein, they wouldn't have given me a PhD.

Old 10th September 2011, 01:52 PM   #43
diyAudio Moderator

With the evidence you've shown so far, you're correct. If you'd done it properly, I suspect you'd have had a trip to Stockholm by now.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Old 10th September 2011, 01:58 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

I first read of the constant of light with reference to the frequency occupying what humans discern as red. reported as changing in Electronics World. Setterfield takes it in my opinion way too far to disproportionately satisfy a religious creation angle that the earth is not as old as presumed. GSRresearchpapers Setterfield

By the time you have read this lets hope it has not changed too much. Most of us have to find a resistor or hang out our washing, or at least put on our socks, before Dr Who
Cheers / Chris

Old 10th September 2011, 03:06 PM   #45
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7n7is View Post
I don't think he was a PhD when he wrote his famous 1905 article. Also, if I criticized Einstein, they wouldn't have given me a PhD.
Completed his doctorate in 1905. Four papers in the Annus Mirabilis, so we can be generous and call it a tie. As for the last, probably true unless you were correct. Crank science won't get you past a committee, but making radical advances that hold up will get you your credential and a pretty lucrative career.

In any case, you answered my question. No education in physics, no publications, just a facility for finding links to cranks (or occasionally to real scientists whose work you don't understand).

Old 10th September 2011, 03:20 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
[snip]PS - light, whether it's speed in a vacuum is constant or not, is still far too fast. Much faster than anyone could ever truly comprehend.
Especially as one's hat keeps blowing off.

jan

Old 10th September 2011, 03:50 PM   #47
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Much faster than anyone could ever truly comprehend.
I don't think so. Remember the 3 second delay on the moon missions? Easy to comprehend. How about the 4 minute delay to Mars?

Old 10th September 2011, 04:20 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

In those cases, it's the distances involved I simply can't relate to - it's either the speed or distance. For me, the next city is a reasonably long way on a bike. In a car, half-way down the country is far.
Maybe it's just me, but it'd get to a point where the distances don't fit into my mind any more.
Click the image to open in full size.

Tiny dot on a tiny dot sort of thing - as Douglas Adams has shown us, we can't afford to have a sense of perspective

Chris
PS - I wasn't actually around for the moon landings, being born in '94. I have, however, seen the videos on youTube, including all the comments saying how fake it all is.

Old 12th September 2011, 05:04 AM   #49
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Chris-I think you mean envision rather than comprehend. You can work with the mathematics, but actually forming a mental picture of light taking time to travel from a nearby object to your eye instead of being instantaneous is something you can't deal with.

Old 12th September 2011, 03:01 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Hey hey KW, good to hear from you, I haven't seen you post in a while. Have a good one.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!