Jerry Leiber, RIP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
jackinnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
Default Jerry Leiber, RIP

Probably the greatest rock n roll lyricist of the 1950's through 1970's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/23/ar...ref=obituaries

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
dchisholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St Louis, Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Probably the greatest rock n roll lyricist of the 1950's through 1970's.
That's one way to start an argument, especially since Bob Dylan and Lennon/McCartney fall in the same time frame.

Nevertheless, you have to stand in awe at the sheer volume of his work. What impressed me from reading the obit is the large number of performers who had popular hits with his material - often, several times. I'll be watching to see if the Underground Garage features him in the next few weeks.

Dale
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milliways
Blog Entries: 4
Oh yeah. Hound Dog, some of the greatest lyrics of all time. Right up there with the theme to Batman.
But I always did love:
Just tell your hoodlum friend outside
You ain't got time to take a ride
Yakety yak (don't talk back)
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
jackinnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
That's one way to start an argument, especially since Bob Dylan and Lennon/McCartney fall in the same time frame.

Nevertheless, you have to stand in awe at the sheer volume of his work. What impressed me from reading the obit is the large number of performers who had popular hits with his material - often, several times. I'll be watching to see if the Underground Garage features him in the next few weeks.

Dale
lennon/mccartney were still in short pants when this guy began writing
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:57 PM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milliways
Blog Entries: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Leiber
Bring in the dog and put out the cat
Yakety yak (don't talk back)
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 12:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
dchisholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St Louis, Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
lennon/mccartney were still in short pants when this guy began writing
I think Lennon & McCartney are over-rated, but a lot of folks in our age group would disagree. For that matter, a fair amount of the Lieber & Stoller material was already classified as "oldies" before I paid much attention to it but it's still great. And if you're more interested in the not-so-great, This Guy seems to be collecting it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
tomtt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Blog Entries: 15
Click the image to open in full size.

from the la times
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 11:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
sofaspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio
No question Leiber stands out as lyricist/producer in rock n roll's golden age. RIP
But I would probably put Felice & Boudleaux Bryant ahead of the above mentioned in terms of L&S "competition". When Felice passed away, I believe her obit stated they had 800+ songs hit the Billboard charts.
__________________
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from enquiry. - Thomas Paine
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 02:33 AM   #9
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Front Row Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
I think Lennon & McCartney are over-rated, but a lot of folks in our age group would disagree. For that matter, a fair amount of the Lieber & Stoller material was already classified as "oldies" before I paid much attention to it but it's still great. And if you're more interested in the not-so-great, This Guy seems to be collecting it.

You absolutely have to be kidding ....
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIP Derek B Fuzzymuff Music 0 17th November 2009 04:05 AM
Charlie K - RIP korneluk Tubes / Valves 11 20th March 2009 10:48 AM
Transcendar RIP? wrenchone Tubes / Valves 25 20th November 2008 05:56 AM
Did I rip myself off? b-riz Subwoofers 4 15th April 2008 02:54 PM
Jerry T's Stablizer mpm32 Analogue Source 13 17th March 2004 04:09 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2