Religious Wackiness - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2003, 09:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Religious Wackiness

Was watching some coverage today of the judge and the stone monument of the Ten Commandments he's had erected in the rotunda of the courthouse.

Workers today carrying out the order of the Supreme Court carted it off and located it someplace else in the courthouse.

While it was being moved, the judge was jumping up and down screaming like a spoiled child. One of the things he screamed at the workers carting off the monument was "Get your hands off our god!"

What? A stone monument of the Ten Commandments is a manifestation of his god? That's what he worships?

Apparently this clown hasn't bothered actually reading those Ten Commandments that are carved on that stone monument he's fighting so hard to keep ensconsed in the courthouse. Isn't there a Second Commandment that says "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"?

Oh, while writing this I just heard Arnold Schwarzenegger say "I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman."

se
Old 28th August 2003, 10:30 AM   #2
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Mr. Schwarzeneggers English is - slightly - better than mine, although my accent is better, you bet
Here in Austria we are - excited and ashamed - watching his progress, and personally I think he is still an actor preparing for a new role. He is no idiot, but who is actually writing the script? Politics as entertainment.

Klaus
Old 28th August 2003, 11:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

I just remember that bit in the movie Demolition Man where the female cop tells Sly Stallone that the election rules were changed so that Arnie could run for US president. Now was that a premonition worthy of Nostradamus or what?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th August 2003, 12:14 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I always wondered how that judge would feel if he were on trial, walked into the courtroom to find his judge dressed as a Mullah, with a huge crescent/star, a prayer rug, and a plaque with "Allah'u'akhbar" engraved on it. Would he think that he'd be in for a fair trial in front of an impartial jurist?

Arnold passes my phone-book test, i.e., my contention that any name randomly selected out of the phone book would likely do a better job than our current governer. He did have a really good quote about why he left Europe- "Eighteen year olds are already talking about their pensions."
Old 28th August 2003, 12:17 PM   #5
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lohk
Mr. Schwarzeneggers English is - slightly - better than mine, although my accent is better, you bet
Here in Austria we are - excited and ashamed - watching his progress, and personally I think he is still an actor preparing for a new role. He is no idiot, but who is actually writing the script? Politics as entertainment.

Klaus
But as an actor I Arnold is way better than Ronald Regan....

I'm very interested in the election. I'll hope that Arnold wins. Maybe he can prove everybody wrong?
Old 28th August 2003, 12:47 PM   #6
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
I always wondered how that judge would feel if he were on trial, walked into the courtroom to find his judge dressed as a Mullah, with a huge crescent/star, a prayer rug, and a plaque with "Allah'u'akhbar" engraved on it. Would he think that he'd be in for a fair trial in front of an impartial jurist?
He wouldn't like it. When queried by a reporter if he would support putting the Koran in an American court house, he came out against it.

In a related note, the latest poll shows that 4 out of 5 Americans are against the removal of the monument.

Actually, I think the issue for most Americans might be less Ten Commandments-as-foundation than "Freedom of Speech". That is, the idea is that the judge is just asserting his Freedom of Speech by putting the monument there. To many Americans, I think, this has been painted as being similar to walking into a courthouse, proclaiming "Honor thy father and thy mother", and being jumped by six security guards for it.

Freedom of Speech-which is merely freedom from government prosecution for speaking your mind, even if it means criticizing the government-is incredibly misunderstood by most Americans, and I think that this is just another example
Old 28th August 2003, 12:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Well, hey, if they make me a judge, I'll exercise my freedom of speech rights by hanging nudie pictures all over the courtroom.

It's interesting that the news outlets have accepted the spin and looked at it as a church/state issue, when it seems to me to be more of a fair-trial issue. When I testify in court, I always ask to take a secular oath, and that's gotten me some definite dark glares from judges. I would certainly expect to be treated roughly in Moore's courtroom because of my own religious beliefs (or, in my case, non-beliefs).

Moore is at least honest enough to advertise his prejudices.
Old 28th August 2003, 12:58 PM   #8
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

PS: Anyway, it looks like the whole recall thing was yet another Flavor-Of-The-Month news story. Polls are showing distinct movement against the recall. A couple of weeks ago it looked like the recall was certain to succeed, now almost 50% are against it. Of the recall candidates, The Terminator has fallen behind the the lieutenant governor by 13 points.

I think Arnold was hurt by his proclaiming his candidacy on a national late-night show, and admitting he had crossed up his own political advisors. Once the fun and novelty had a chance to settle, Californians are having second thoughts about electing somebody who already is crossing up people.
Old 28th August 2003, 01:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Moore is at least honest enough to advertise his prejudices.
But I'll bet his christianity doesn't go as far as giving all his income away to good causes. Selective interpretation again perhaps?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th August 2003, 01:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

You know, Jerry Falwell and Jesse Jackson commissioned a painting showing a camel easily passing through the eye of a needle.

Hide this!Advertise here!