Heathkit to reenter the kit building business! - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2013, 07:27 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

The market place is very different these days.
There are many more suppliers of amplifier modules etc.

Also ebay has opened up the market.
Old 23rd June 2013, 08:26 PM   #92
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't see it happening. Just like every other market, there's so much cheap stuff on ebay coming out of China.
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:48 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Gimme a break. Don't all DIYers want to pay MORE for the privilege of DIY?

Obvious truisms aside, several major good reasons to build: educational, opportunities now or later to modify, up-close-and-personal with our possessions, etc.

So the question really is: of those reasons that applied to tube-age kit building, just how much is relevant to a kit today? I valued learning about biasing tubes. What are the comparable lessons in soldering up sockets to take contemporary black-box op-amp chips or power-supply-on-a-chip?

I'm wondering if New-Heath has thought about the buying proposition?

Ben
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:48 PM   #94
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

The fun of DIY (or a kit) is building it - you want all the little parts separated and lots of parts to have to assemble. There's no fun buying a module off of eBay with parts that may or may not be fake and just connecting the power supply to it.

The advantage of a kit is not having to do the chasis work and ending up with a really neat looking piece of gear. I love designing and building amps, and I wouldn't be shy of the chasis work if I had a great workshop - but I don't and I don't want to invest in so many tools etc.

I think I might just be a potential Heathkit customer one day in the future - so long as they are quality designs and quality parts. And of course, something with a more interesting appearance and functionality than what I can buy at the local store.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 24th June 2013, 01:06 AM   #95
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

It's obvious from the survey questions that the people behind Heathkit are thinking of these things. It's hard to say if they will or can succeed, but there's a danger that they'll get lots of "Yeah I'd love to buy and build more new Heathkits" responses from people who then don't follow through.

As many or most posters here know, there's a remarkable hacker/maker/DIY movement that's been growing over the past decade with hackerspaces, makerspaces, TechShops (chain of commercial makerspaces), and events such as Maker Faires and Mini Maker Faires put on by the people at Make Magazine (published by computer book publisher O’Reilly). Look at Make Magazine on a newsstand (such as the large ones at Fry's Electronics) - it's a bit more expensive than other magazines, but it has been around a few years now.

A new Heath Company could possibly be a part of this phenomenon.
Old 24th June 2013, 02:58 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
It's obvious from the survey questions that the people behind Heathkit are thinking of these things. It's hard to say if they will or can succeed, but there's a danger that they'll get lots of "Yeah I'd love to buy and build more new Heathkits" responses from people who then don't follow through.
snip
Sadly, any fool with a keyboard can create a "survey." Professionals, ahem, ahem, query respondents the right way and interpret responses properly (hint: ever-popular focus groups are almost never the right way).

Good methods inform the client about what to do by providing the client with what might be called "actionable" data, not just vague attitudes towards their enterprise.

Ben
Old 24th June 2013, 03:02 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

Not sure how this works but I am having a couple problems with my mtx 1805 amp head unit is on red led is on voltage at terminals amp is 12v tried to read for voltage on rca's
Old 24th June 2013, 05:02 AM   #98
Lavcat is offline Lavcat  United States
diyAudio Member

I built eighteen or so kits in the 1960's, most of them Heath (some Scott, Knight, Dyna). If Heath come out with kits I like I might be tempted by their ham radio stuff again (my souped up Sixer was stolen), but probably not interested in audio kits any more.

Looking around I see three Heathkits within a few feet of where I'm sitting, and there's a Heath keyboard in the closet.

Hide this!Advertise here!