Where do you carry your cellphone, and how often do you use it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
Ralph Lauren, Bob Marley, Gene Siskel,
George Harrison, François Truffaut, Robert Moog, Lee Atwater, Ethel Merman, Bobby Van, Raymond Carver.
Names of people you may have heard of all with brain cancer all with cell phones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_notable_brain_tumor_patients

The study may not be sponsored by the National Institute of Health or Blackerrry but is on going today most every teenage kid in America sleeps with his Iphone under his pillow. We will see!
DT
All just for fun!

Last edited:
The cell phones of 10+ years ago transmitted with a power level of up to 1.5 watts. The old bag phones and "transportables" had even more power. There was no active power control. Even if you were standing next to the tower the phone trasnmitted at full power. The old analog phones were constantly emitting power as long as you were in a call even if you aren't talking. The "dose" of RF energy averaged over time was much stronger than it is today.

Modern cellular base stations will collect all the RF energy in a given frequency spectrum, down convert it, then stuff it all into a fast A/D converter. The converters are 12 to 16 bits wide so there is a limitation on dynamic range. For this to work all of the signals hitting the base station in the sampled frequency range must have the same relative strength. One excessively strong signal will consume all of the converters dynamic range. In all modern cellular standards all phones on a given frequency range are told reduce their power to that of the weakest incomming signal.

In an urban environment there are cell towers everywhere, but only so many frequencies assigned to cellular phone service. Thus the frequencies are reused, ofted as close as every other or every third tower. This means that a phone with too much power will interfere with a neighboring cell site, so the power is kept low to prevent interference.

So for purely economic reasons the great toasted brain experiment has had the conditions changed slowly over time in favor of the users head. Now when you stuff the phone under your pillow and block the path to the tower, what do you think the phone does? And where do you think that extra RF energy goes? The pillow isn't going to absorb it.

Don't think that I advocate trashing your phone. Nor do I believe that the phone definitely causes cancer, nor do I believe that it isn't possible. In any controlled experiment you try to minimize all variables except the one that you are trying to observe. The "cell phone causes brain cancer" statement currently has far too many variables to draw ANY definite conclusions.

I work with two way radios with much higher power levels, up to 10 watts in a hand held device and 100 watts in a car mounted mobile. Definite conclusions have been reached and the power levels for the higher frequency bands have been reduced over the 30+ years that I have been involved. Strict guidelines have been drawn up in regards to installation and use of high powered transmitters.

Just use common sense with your phone and limit excessive use whenever possible. Step outside or go near a window to have a long conversation. I even know where the cell sites are that serve my house and work locations and go to windows that face the tower. With the cell phone carrier that I use, that is necessary to avoid dropped calls.

I found a problem with a cell phone in my pocket.
After many hours of it being there I started getting a numb leg.
I chose to ignore it for a good few weeks but eventually it got worse.
So I stopped putting it in my pocket but the numbness is s till there but very slight. Been like that for years now.
I dont know if it was the pressure of the phone on my leg or the RF that caused the problem.

I found a problem with a cell phone in my pocket.
After many hours of it being there I started getting a numb leg.
I chose to ignore it for a good few weeks but eventually it got worse.
So I stopped putting it in my pocket but the numbness is s till there but very slight. Been like that for years now.
I dont know if it was the pressure of the phone on my leg or the RF that caused the problem.

I had exactly the same experience! It was very slight, and rather kind of pleasant.

By the way, with RF everything depends on frequency and peak RF power more than an energy absorbed by tissue. As I wrote before, for my 10.7 GHz 20 mW device safe distance was 20 centimeters. I don't remember all details, how I calculated it, itg as 30 years ago, so can't tell about frequencies near 1 GHz, and radiation pattern less narrow that used in my device. But numbness in the leg can be caused by cellphone in the pocket.

I remember reading the story several years ago, when one lady sued some cellphone manufacturer because when cellphone sandwiched between human fat and sofa could not connect to station overheated battery burst in flame right in her pocket.

Hello,
The answer to the original question, normally my cell phone is in the bottom of my laundry hamper. The phone is company issued and I occasionally need to make calls when I am on the road. The phone stays in the car when it is not at the bottom of the laundry hamper. In or around the car I use a visor mounted voice activated Motorola Bluetooth. Sometimes I hand hold the Bluetooth (not really hands free). The cell phone is used very little, perhaps 10 minutes a week. I do still wear a wristwatch.
DT
All just for fun!

In the course of my previous job as a broadcast engineer for a PBS station I got shipped off to an RF safety cert seminar to become a certified card carrying porkchop. The FCC is VERY serious about RF site safety and one of their biggest focus points now is cell site location and safety. Anyway, got oodles of RF safety lit and studies of ionizing RF energy. There was one correlation study between cellphone use and brain cancer. The correlation was linked to indications that the brain cavity is a 2x freq resonant RF cavity that concentrates and partially amplifies the low end analog cell freqs. BUT the only real medical cases existed from the days of the earliest brick phones that pumped out multiple WATTS of energy that were held directly against the head by very heavy phone users.
Bottom line was reduce the power -as all have now done- and get the dang thing away from your head... particularly if you're in an old analog service area.
I use speakerphone wenever possible and bluetooth if at all in a car.

As to running a magnetron outside an oven, an obvious cantidate for a Darwin award.
Doc

Only if the microwave is powered by electricity from a nuclear power plant.

Seriously, I read Omni Magazine when it first came out circa late 1970's. There were little quotes and factoids at the bottom of every column of text. I recall one saying that "one out of five people believe that electricity produced by a nuclear power plant is radioactive."

I don't understand why they try to prove CANCER resulting from exposition to RF, but not just ANY DAMAGE? When you cook a chicken in microwave, do you EAT CANCER?! :eek:

Cancer is just one possible long term effect of RF, but one particular maladay that has a lot of funds and grants being pumped into it. Finding some link between the maladay and ANYTHING is likely to keep a researcher swiming in funds for quite some time.

Only if the microwave is powered by electricity from a nuclear power plant.

Seriously, I read Omni Magazine when it first came out circa late 1970's. There were little quotes and factoids at the bottom of every column of text. I recall one saying that "one out of five people believe that electricity produced by a nuclear power plant is radioactive."

Also an OMNI fan I possess all issues from first two years including V1#1 still in wrapper. Net current monetary value... NYET! But your comment reminded me of an encounter back in those days with some woman in a 7-11 who didn't dare eat any microwaved food because she had once gotten a case of quickstep from eating a polish sausage cooked in one.... Couldn't have been the food itself!

Doc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.